Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Must pick only one Disney Park to visit with an 11 year old. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/must-pick-only-one-disney-park-to-visit-with-an-11-year-old-519453/)

dsm22 Apr 7th, 2005 04:13 PM

Must pick only one Disney Park to visit with an 11 year old.

I am going to Florida for only a weeked in the last half of May sometime. I am having to rely on my Father, he is in control here unfortunately, and so far nothing is set. I am having a heart attack, as normally I have every thing planned out months in advance.

Anyway, I do not have children, and we are taking my niece who is 11 with us, she lives with my dad. I am escaping for one day with her to a Disney Park. I need feedback on which one you think I should pick. I am too much of a fan to decide on one, I like them all. Is she too old for the Magic Kingdom??

I thought that Animal Kingdom might be good. I am torn between those two, I guess. She has never been there before. I can not believe that I only have one day to go to WDW, but I guess that it is better than nothing.

So what do you all think?

kp Apr 7th, 2005 04:24 PM

Sit down with her and plan which park to visit. Each one is so different just as each 11 year old girl is different. Borrow a book from the library or go to the Disney web site for information. She might really enjoy having some "control" over the vacation.

starrsville Apr 7th, 2005 04:33 PM

I have a question that I ask for a reason. Is your father going as well and is he elderly?

dsm22 Apr 7th, 2005 04:34 PM

I did think of that. I may do that. It's just that she has absolutely nothing to compare it to. No frame of reference. Her real dad never did anything with her.

I just want it to be fun for her. I may be putting too much pressure on myself here.

I am sure she and I would have fun either place, but not having kids, I wondered if there would be a clear preference for one over the other.

Thank you kp!!

dsm22 Apr 7th, 2005 04:36 PM

No. My dad is one of those dad's who would rather stick a red hot poker in his eye than go to a theme park. He is not elderly, just no fun!

That is why auntie shall be taking her.

sshuttle Apr 7th, 2005 04:37 PM

Tough choice! But I would have to say Magic Kingdom. I've been to all of them too many times to count, but the Magic Kingdom has the most "Disney Magic." IMO it's a must see. Hopefully, you can bring her back again and take her to the other parks. She's still at an age where she should appreciate it before she gets to be a teen and just wants roller coasters and excitement! Have fun!

nytraveler Apr 7th, 2005 04:37 PM

Most of the 11 yeara olds I know are way too old for Magic Kingdon. Depending on their bent they might like MGM - or they might like Epcot (that woud have been my choice at that age.)

But don;t know how mature she is - 11 year olds vary so much - some are still very childish and some (since they;re now in middle school) have boyfriends and want to know when they get the car.

starrsville Apr 7th, 2005 04:45 PM

I agree with asking her. But, I went to the Magic Kingdom for the first time as a teenager on a school trip and had a blast. I'd pick that one if she's never been before.

If she has, then I'd do Animal Kingdom or MGM.

dsm22 Apr 7th, 2005 04:45 PM

Nytravler, you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly it!

One minute she is sort of adult like, doing all kinds of things with us, and I forget she is a kid. The next minute I am like, "What ARE you doing?" because she is acting all *stupid*. I forget, you know, what I was like then. It's been a while. She is a rip, and a good kid. She cracks me up.

Tandoori_Girl Apr 7th, 2005 05:11 PM

Magic Kingdom.

mwoysh Apr 7th, 2005 05:24 PM

Everyone needs to go to Magic kingdom at least once. Epcot is my actual favorite though. I think an eleven year old would love MK.

pilgrim Apr 7th, 2005 07:13 PM

There are a number of rides and fun parades.You might want to go to disboards.com to gather ideas.

DellaS Apr 7th, 2005 07:13 PM

Having grown up in FL and worked at the parks through high school and college and now being a mom myself who goes home several times a year, I would have to agree with the posts that say you need to consider your neice. I would definitely NOT vote for Animal Kingdom - not enough rides for a kid. I would go for Magic Kingdom - she will be "over" Mickey, but will like the older rides ( Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc). MGM would be my second choice - but I'd stick with Magic Kingdom.
As someone who has been there more than I care to admit, I'd be happy to offer some tips to maximize a one-day visit to Magic kingdom, if you choose it (it's all in the strategy!:)You do NOT want to spend the whole day in line!

Dreamer2 Apr 7th, 2005 08:22 PM

If she wants to go on rides, it has to be Magic Kingdom.

I see you've been to Disney before, so you probably have your own strategy. But here's my advice when you only have one day: get there a half hour before the park is scheduled to open. Walk straight down Main Street, and pass to the left of the castle. Do Splash Mountain first, before it gets busy. You'll be able to walk right on 2-3 times if you want! Most people want to do it later in the day because you will get wet; you could also easily wait an hour later. Next go to Thunder Mountain RR and Haunted Mansion. Then go get a Fastpass for Space Mountain, and get in line for Buzz Lightyear. Have lunch before the crowds. Then can enjoy the rest of the day taking in other rides at a more leisurely pace.

If rides aren't the big draw for her, or if she is really into movies, MGM could be the thing. If you go there, be sure to see Beauty and the Beast show and the nighttime musical laser show.

You'll both have a great day no matter which park you choose. My kids have travelled quite a bit, and been exposed to a lot, and they still had a ball on their recent trip to MK - and they are 14 and 16! I can't imagine an eleven year old who wouldn't like going to an amusement park; and for most of them, it's all about the rides... not educational presentations or zoos.

cherie1 Apr 8th, 2005 06:02 AM

I would say Magic Kingdom. Everyone needs to go there once! And I don't think she's too old. I would not choose Epcot, she may find it boring (or not). My second choice for you would be Animal Kingdom. She'd love it there, especially if she likes animals. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, but Magic Kingdom is like a "classic" and shouldn't be missed, so I would definitely pick it.

socialworker Apr 8th, 2005 06:41 AM

I have to echo all the Magic Kingdom votes. For any kid of any age who has never been there, it is a wonderful experience. The other parks are great but if only one is possible then, MK it has to be!! Altho, I also agree that hers should be the deciding vote, b/c after all it sounds like you are trying to show her a good time.

JJ5 Apr 8th, 2005 06:53 AM

Magic Kingdom for the first timer, regardless of age, but especially at hers.

In a couple of years she will like a return to MGM and EPCOT, in that order.
Now we all (teenagers included) like EPCOT and return there the most.

Animal Kingdom is not a big park. It has a good safari experience and 2 other interesting show/attractions, but it is not an entire day venue. We have done two safaris and still been out of there in under 4 hours. We have noticed that it is usually crowded with very young families/toddlers etc. and no thrill rides featured there. MGM has some good thrill rides, but she needs the Disney Magic start first in MK.

Martinan Apr 8th, 2005 07:46 AM

Magic Kingdom is the place to go for a first timer regardelss of age. I went with my sister to Disney World and she had girls ages 10 and 12. They loved the Magic Kingdom. Of course they did not do the Dumbo ride but they went on Snow White and enjoyed it. They were fascinated by the effects. Then they did the rides for the older kids - splash mountain, haunted house etc.

You are very kind to do this for your niece. She is lucky to have you! Disney is a happy place so no matter where you go, I'm sure she'll have fun. Enjoy yourselves!

KathrynT Apr 8th, 2005 07:50 AM

I think the Magic Kingdom is the winner. She will always hear kids talking about the famous rides there and about visiting that park. ( I know many adults who consider it a vacation must for themselves!) What a good aunt you are to give your niece such a treat.

Ryan Apr 8th, 2005 08:19 AM

Honestly, I think an 11 year old would have far more fun at Universal's Island of Adventure.

Assuming she is tall enough to ride their roller-coasters, the rides at Universal are just great.

Their Spiderman Ride may be the single best ride I've ever been on.

If she hasn't been to Disney before, I can certainly understand why you'd pick that. If you are intent on hitting Disney, have you thought about a ParkHopper pass?

If it's just the two of you, you might have some fun hitting the bigger rides at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM. With FastPass, you can minimize your wait times.

At a minimum, you should be able to hit the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT.