Must Have's For Long Flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time traveler to Hawaii (Kahului)on Feb 7th from Ind thru Phx. Not as worried about the trip there, as we're flying during "normal" hours (Lv 8 am, Ar 3 pm), but the trip home is a dif story (Lv midnight, Ar 4 pm) again thru Phx. Any words from the wise to make the trip easier? Will be back home at 4 pm Tues and have to go back to work on Wed!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thought I should add that I'm flying Amer West on a single aisle aircraft (757). Trying to upgrade to 1st Class for the return trip, but if not ....
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM

It really all depends if you can sleep on a plane I think. We fly overnite from PHX to London and that is no thrill either, but I do think long night flights are more tolerable then long daytime ones (for example coming "this way" from Europe is a real killer). Getting up and walking around is not that easy (on any plane) let alone single aisle so if you can upgrade go for it.

Aside from that, drink plenty of water (of course that makes you get up more wear VERY comfortable clothes (elastic waist, no wrinkle) and easy on/off shoes. If you can't sleep be sure to have a good book with you. You might consider taking a Tylenol PM which is what I do on a long flight if you want to try and sleep.

There is no real way to make a long flight great, but hopefully it won't be too bad on you. Breaking it up in PHX might not be too bad, you will be walking around which is good for the muscles, etc.

Too bad you have to go to work the next day, I would normally suggest having at least 1 day off before going back to work.

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:58 PM

A first class seat.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Tylenol PM is great if you get headache/backache while on the flight, but if not, try Simply Sleep. It is Tylenol PM w/o the pain reliever.

I also love using ThermaCare heat wraps for when my back gets tense (like on a long flight).

Grab pillows and blankets once on the plane to help you sleep, bring a good book, knitting, ipod, sudoko puzzles, whatever to keep you occupied!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I pack a high thread count pillowcase(s) to stuff airplane pillows in and/or my bulky jacket (which you won't have going to Hawaii). Pick up the latest magazines at the airport. Make sure I have a good book, water and snacks I like in my backpack under the seat in front of me. Usually, I read until I'm sleepy (on my own pillowcase and not on others' cooties) and have what I want to eat and drink in case I sleep through the snack/bevarage service)
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM

earplugs,natural fibre clothing, socks, and bottled water. I think starrsville's suggestion of her own pillowcase is a great idea. The pillows and blankets on planes are not cleaned between uses and hygiene is iffy.When flying to Hawaii I wear a sweater twin set. Easy to adjust to the warmer air when you land. Aloha and enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM

I have a couple in the suitcase as well for my "favorite" hotel pillows. I love coming in from a day of sightseeing and seeing a touch of home in my hotel room. Pretty, floral pillowcases and my travel candle are the first things I unpack. I spent a week at the Hilton on the BI and 4 nights at the 4S and the maids always put "my pillow" in front of all the others when they made the bed.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Lovely thought, starrsville. You are right, no matter where I am I love seeing a bit of home. For me it is a tiny alarm clock which "rings" with a recording of one of my dogs barking.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Mine include:

iPod
several books and magazines
bottled water
Ambien

My husband now rents DVDs and watches them on his laptop. He also loves the iPod.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Wow this is the first time I've even looked at this site, and am amazed at all the great subjects and all of your quick responses. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it! Most of the things you've mentioned are things that I wouldn't have remembered to think of but the Simply Sleep is probably the one thing that I would've never thought of. I travel often for business, but within the continental US and usually the longest flight is 3 hrs. We have arrangements at the Ritz-Carlton and everything I've read sounds like we'll be pampered. Any other ideas regarding what to do as far as where we'll be, must do's, etc.? I also saw another chat about what to bring - sunscreen is a must I see, but anything else considered a MUST? Also, I love shopping - what kinds of trinkets will I want to look for and price shop to bring home?
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM

I like to carry an inflatable neck pillow for long flights. Easier than a regular one, I think, because it allows you to curl up in the corder by the window, if you have a window seat, and if not, it doesn't slip away from you. Also, for long flights get some compression stockings...travel store catalogs sell them, or at least get up and walk around every so often. For night flights I like to have my own lightweight blanket, small enough to fit in my carryon, but warm.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I have nothing to add to above responses - except to comment on your screen name - not any better day for you than for our son yesterday - whose screen name on other message boards is patsfan plus a number.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Two Xanax and wake me up when I get there!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM

I recently decided to try compression socks for a long flight, and they made my legs feel more comfortable during the flight. They feel very tight when you first put them on, but in the air they perform almost as if you're getting a passive massage. I also use an inflatable pillow as a foot rest. I bring snacks and reading material, and the Dramamine I take for potential motion sickness makes me drowsy enough to sleep.

This summer I am also flying from Boston to Hawaii, via Phoenix, and I must say, I am dreading the long flights, no matter what I do to make the best of them!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM

I will add an eye mask. Give me a sleeping pill, ear plugs, eye mask, blow up neck pillow and I am pretty good to go. Other things sound great, like your own blanket and pillow case, but I travel super light.

One person mentioned snacks, and I can't tell you how far favorite snacks, and maybe even a great sandwich, go toward making me more comfortable on a long flight. A choice of two goodies, plus a gourmet sandwich, and I am happier.

My little comfort bag also includes moisturizer, lip balm, and soothing eye drops. Sometimes those little pressure devices called Earplanes. Gum and mints. Toothbrush and a hand sanitizer.

I have meds with me for headache, stuffiness, and things like that.

Lots to read.

Ok, by now you know that I hate to be uncomfortable on the plane. And with my little goodie bag, I seldom am too uncomfortable.

We fly to Europe once or twice a year, and we aren't in the class of upgrade type flyers. Since it is strictly cattle class for us, with a miracle upgrade every ten years or so (like the time the plane's door collapsed on me, and threw me down the stairs), I would rather be prepared for the worst.

I've seen really disappointed and grumpy folks get on a long haul flight after not getting their hoped for upgrade. If they had my goodie bag with them, they might have been able to say "oh well."
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Coltsfan - Sorry.

I would suggest focusing your time on ensuring you have good seats. Getting an exit row and an aisle can really make your trip better. A frequent traveler can also get an upgrade, but that might not apply to everyone.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Hi, colsfan! I was once trapped on a flight to Maui next to an 18-year-old guy drenched in cologne. Bring allergy meds!

I always feel skanky on such long flights. Antibacterial wipes and hand cleanser halfway through really help. Also, on some first class flights they hand out a bag with lightly scented facial spray to re-hydrate skin.

A neck bone pillow, as previously mentioned, and an eye mask, are essential.

Also, for some reason you can't get an entire bottle of water - only a little cup or glass. I pack a couple of my own bottles.

Don't pack a novel that will be all-absorbing, if you're a compulsive reader. I spent two days of my trip to England reading "Memoirs of a Geisha," and whenever I try to remember London, I think of Japan. I like to print out a bunch of the Fodor's forums related to my destination, and read/highlight them on the flight.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Stay away from all those salty snacks they pass off on you. The salt will just help you retain water and you'll be really uncomfortable. ABSOLUTELY take your own bottled water. The airlines now are rationing it so you might get tap water, which may not be very clean, if you read tripso.com.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM

Great suggestions: can't really add anything ( I also do thermacare wrap for lower back, bottled water, IPod, (screaming babies, altho I probably blow my ear drums) magazines, snacks, have own travel pillow and eye pillow or sunglasses). To avoid jet lag, for me anyway, is this: I force myself to get 7 hours for at least 3 nights before I'm leaving, I set my watch to the time zone where I am flying the minute I get on plane, if I can't sleep I at least shut my eyes for one hour (eye pillow or sunglasses), no alcohol, lots of water, walk the plane and stretch in the back every 90 minutes. When we land, we never lay down, unpack, walk and have early dinner and bed by 10 for a good nights sleep. On way home, I do the same and get to bed by 9 or 10 and the mail will still be there, I pretend I am still away for another week. For the next 3 or 4 days I again force myself to get as close to 7 hours a night as I can. Once, and I can't figure out why, except we were on the move a lot that trip, we returned from Budapest/Prague and all of a sudden 3 days later I hit the wall and was a zombie for 3 days after...go figure. GOOD LUCK and have fun, you wiull love Hawaii.....if you get jet lag, it will be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -