Athena in the Parthenon

Search

Athena in the Parthenon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athena in the Parthenon

Is this a worthy stop to make when in Nashville?

Is it better to approach from when touring the downtown area of the Country Music Hall of Fame and its environs? Or is it better to approach when touring Belle Meade as it appears closer to that area from the maps?

How much time is needed for the park and the parthenon of the south?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:00 PM

> Is this a worthy stop to make when in Nashville?

Depends on how you define "worthy."
It's a pretty amazing recreation of one of the most famous buildings in the world -- and, even though I've walked within the original, I was still impressed. However, it IS only a recreation, and may thus be of little interest to someone not into the art and culture of classical Greece.

> How much time is needed for the park and the parthenon of the south?

On the order of one hour. There's other art within the building, and other pleasant things in this municipal park. But the only reason to visit is the re-created Parthenon.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM

I've lived here 7.5 years and haven't made it to see Athena yet, so I'm not sure if that either answers your question or is no help at all. The park is nice but I wouldn't make a point of stopping by unless it's on your way. It's a quicker trip to make from downtown, but if you're staying downtown and headed to Belle Meade, it's on the way.

When is your trip, by the way? I just saw an article that said the CMHOF will be closed tomorrow for a couple of weeks - I think your trip is later but wanted to give you a heads up in case.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are not going until the summer though. I am just doing as much research as I can now.

We are actually staying outside of downtown near the opryland area.

Our itinerary for Nashville is to dedicate one full day downtown for Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman auditorium and maybe Tennessee State Museum. One day for Belle Meade and Cheekwood and the next morning for the Hermitage before taking off toward Mammoth Cave in KY.

I am trying to fit in the Parthenon but not sure when to do it. Either in the evening after all the downtown stuff or the next day combined with Belle Meade. What makes more sense?
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 02:02 PM

I'd just fit it in whenever you have time (making note of the museum's hours). It really won't take you long at all, so if you have time on your downtown day you could do it then, or you could do it on the way to Belle Meade. Or choose based on the weather, if you want to walk around the park.

Are you planning on the backstage tour at the Ryman? It's a little more expensive ($4?) than the self-guided, but totally worth it, I think.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

I didn't know about the backstage tour of the Ryman so thanks for that. I haven't done all my research yet Still a work in progress. That is why this forum is so great!

Like you said we have to factor in the weather to determine best time for the Parthenon. So I guess distance wise or travel wise it doesn't matter which day we go.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM

We loved our visit...spent about 60-90 minutes touring the property
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:17 AM

Saving!