Reload this Page >

"Must do" in and around Anchorage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Mary

We are a senior couple with four days in Anchorage in mid August. We will not have a car. What should we be sure to see and do?
Thanks!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Postal

If you like seafood, don't miss eating all forms of salmon and halibut at Glacier Brewhouse. And be sure to visit the large Saturday Market by the Hilton.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Mythos

You could take a scenic day cruise for wildlife and glacier viewing. We had an enjoyable time last summer on the Klondike Express that leaves out of Whittier about an hour outside of Anchorage. I believe the company offers bus and/or train transportation from Anchorage to Whittier. The web site for it is www.26glaciers.com. We saw lots of glaciers, beautiful scenery, and wildlife like sea otters and seals.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Donna F

I second the motion to visit the Saturday Market. I liked the Trolley Tour too. A bit overpriced but it gives you a general overview of Anchorage. Check out the events in the Anchorage Daily newspaper. www.adn.com. There's a link to a visitors guide on their site too. The Tidal Wave bookstore is out of the way but has a great selection of used books, esp books about Alaska. Have a great visit.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:09 AM
sluggo

I highly recommend the Anchorage Museum of History and Art, with displays about the earthquake, pipeline, early life in Alaska and Native cultures. Check out the Alaskan nature movies playing on large screens at the Alaska Center for Performing Arts and the sod roof (growing Jacob's ladder and wild onions) on the log cabin visitor's informtion center. You'll love the flowers around the city. (They plant 520 flowerbeds and hangs thousands of baskets.) Glacier Brewhouse (737 W 5th Ave.) is excellent.

If you are interested in Native culture and can get a ride out of the downtown area, visit the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Frank

A short drive northeast of Anchorage is the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Wonderful crafts, dancers and exhibits narrated by native Alaskans. We spent several hours and truly enjoyed ourselves.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:49 AM
wondering

The Bush Company still open?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Kent Zavacky

Definitely ist stop is downtown at the Alaska Public Lands Information Center-this multiple agency will give you all info you need It is Park Service, USFS, etc all in one, though they legally cannot recommend a restaurant over another, but if want info they have it.
I used to work here and also give tours throughout my 7 years in Alaska ,so if any other Questions e-mail me -Kent

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:37 PM
Just back

Depending on how active you are, a car could be handy, or look into tours on the Kenai penisula. Four days is a lot of time for Anchorage proper in my opinion. A car trip or tour along Turnagain Arm to the Portage Glacier area would be fairly easy and rewarding. I have to relate that the Glacier Brewhouse was the WORST dining experience of our trip. It starts with an incredibly long wait (1.5 hours Friday night--we left), followed by a 25 minute wait Saturday at 2 pm for lunch. I ordered a cup of the french onion soup, which had no crouton or cheese melted over it, just a few shredded cheese slivers mixed in. My companion's halibut sandwich came out as salmon the first time, then raw halibut the second time. Then the bill came and we had been double-charged for the halibut! The wait-staff was apologetic, but I would find a better place to spend my time and money. Just my experience.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:10 AM
hurrumph

Yes, the Bush Company is still open for business. Do not go there unless you are a young bachelor. Curious folks can visit their website. Do a search for the Great Alaskan Bush Company. They do NOT sell camping supplies.