Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Musician's strike... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/musicians-strike-293035/)

ian80 Feb 27th, 2003 10:33 AM

Musician's strike...

What is going on in New York with Broadway musicians? I'm going in two weeks and want real musicians, not canned music! What should I expect?

Patrick Feb 27th, 2003 12:16 PM

Why what is the current situation about a strike?<BR><BR>I am on a newletter from the musician's union and have signed a petition to stop or prevent the use of canned music for Broadway productions.<BR>If you are interested in this topic and would like to add your name to a petition or simply find out more about it, go to <BR>www.savelivebroadway.com<BR><BR>Sadly (and yes this is a political opinion) part of the problem is a result of Contact, a musical with all canned music, winning the Tony as best musical a few years ago. Until that time it was very unlikely that producers would consider fully replacing live musicians with recorded music in a Broadway musical.

ian80 Feb 27th, 2003 02:11 PM

Thanks Patrick - very informative site! I hope the musicians get their way. <BR><BR>Now, does it stand to reason that, if the producers and the union do not meet eye to eye on Sunday, there will be a strike? How long could this strike last?

Patrick Feb 27th, 2003 07:38 PM

Ok, tonight we had our community theatre production opening of Kiss Me Kate in Naples, Florida-- a long way from Broadway (in more ways than one) but our musical director is a Broadway musician and conductor. He says this contract thing comes up every four years. They expect it to go through no problem, but one never knows. Frankly the musicians know they are treading on very tender ground, so there is a firm hope that the contract negotiations can be settled quickly. He's the one who got me involved in this savelivebroadway website.

ian80 Mar 3rd, 2003 07:27 PM

OK, they have postponed the strike until Friday, but we could still be affected by it. Now, what would you do? Our trip is basically Broadway oriented, so should we cancel and try selling our tickets? I've heard the actors may also strike to support the musicians. If this were to happen, it would make our trip a waste of time and money. WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

Patrick Mar 4th, 2003 05:12 AM

Tough one. Have you already purchased tickets to shows? If so and there is no strike but you stay home you're out one heckuvalot of money. If you do go and they cancel, then I assume you will get your money back.<BR><BR>As much as I love theatre -- I'd probably go as planned, hope for the best, and if there is a full strike, then find plenty of other things to do. And I'm assuming that non-musicals won't be affected -- so branch out a little on your Broadway or even off-Broadway entertainment. I can think of far worse things that being &quot;forced&quot; to see shows that aren't simply mainstream musicals!

HowardR Mar 4th, 2003 09:09 AM

Not intending to take sides, but it's a bit more complicated than live versus canned music. On the producers' side, they want more flexibility in the number of musicians required by a contract with the musicians' union.<BR>As for whether there'll be a strike, you'll have to wait until this weekend to find out (unless, of course, both sides come to an agreement before that).