Museum of Fine Arts in Boston

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Museum of Fine Arts in Boston

I've been asked by a friend from out of state to purchase an item at the Museum Store
for her since she doesn't get to Boston and the Museum any more. My question is -- can I visit the Museum Shop without paying the admission fee for the Museum - I'll be doing this errand for he on my lunch hour and would not be able to spend any ime at the Museum itself. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM

I'm reasonably sure you can get in at least one of the museum shops without paying for admittance. The one near the Huntington Ave entrance is outside the admission area. However, this is a relatively small gift shop and not the main one.

you should call the MFA and ask though. That's the way to be certain.

Alternately, if you can go on Wednesday day after 4PM, admission is free and you wouldn't have to worry about it. Of course, that's a pretty late lunch hour...
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 06:31 AM

When I looked at this pdf
http://www.mfa.org/sites/default/fil...oorplan_l1.pdf
which has the floor plan for the MFA, it appears that the shop near the Huntington entrance allows easy access without a ticket, but that the main shop is well within the museum.

Of course, you could always order online.
http://www.mfashop.com/
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 08:09 AM
cw

Yes, do call and ask. When the West Wing entrance was being used, you could just go to the bookstore (or cafe) without buying admission even though it was on the other side of the person checking tickets. Now that the main store is not near an entrance, that may have changed.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 12:41 PM
yk

Like others said, I suggest you call the museum STORE and ask if that particular item is available at the smaller shop near the Huntington Ave entrance. If it is not, ask them to bring that item from the main shop to the Huntington entrance shop, so you can just pop in and buy it when you're there during your lunch hour. You can most certainly get into the Huntington entrance shop without paying for admission.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
yk

P.S. I think the MFA stil has a store at Faneuil Hall. If that's more convenient to you, you can try calling that store to see if they carry that item? http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.co...ardsgiftsbooks
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I'll let you know how I make out.