Munich to EWR - what's next?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody, I booked a flight Munich to EWR in late November (300&euro. I did also rent a car for two weeks, so basically I want to go shopping (cotton clothing etc.? Where?) I didn't make any further plans up to now. Would be willing to drive down to Texas or the west coast, whatever? Any suggestions? Distance is not an issue, bad waether could be a problem? ;-)
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM

So you are flying from Germany to Newark and want to spend two weeks shopping....and are willing to drive to Texas or the West Coast for those amazing bargains. That's crazy ~ there is plenty of great shopping in the Northeast.

You can start your shopping at
JERSEY GARDENS, not too far from EWR.

You could easily spend a day at FRANLIN MILLS MALL near Philadelphia.

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 02:37 AM

You are daft. You can't possibly drive from New Jersey to California and back. It would take 12 days total. You wouldn't be able to stop and shop as you would have to drive 8 hours per day and only stop to sleep at night.

I have driven coast to coast twice, sweetie darling.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

PS It is the FRANKLIN MILLS MALL, not Franlin. There are only 3 goods stores there--Off 5th, Last Call for Needless Markup, and the Bally store. All the rest is dreck.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll start at JERSEY GARDENS. . I'm sure I could do the west- east trip in 6 days total. I managed central Sask. to southern Texas in 3 days, so how far could it be .

Basically I'll arrive with "no clothing at all" and are willing to leave only with my two new suitcases.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:25 AM

I don't get it. Do you want to shop or do you want to visit Texans and/or the west coast?

Seems to me that if you want to shop - you'll find everything you could possible need in the New England area. If you really want to see Texas (again) or the west coast - I would save the time and fly - that way you could enjoy yourself rather than spend all that time in a car.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:26 AM

Hi Logos,

You helped me with a trip to Germany (specifically the Furstenfeldbruk part) last year. Hope you have a great time in the U.S. Just remember, Texas is about the size of Germany, so don't "bite off more than you can chew" when it comes to driving.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi jayne1973, no I don't really NEED to go to Texas or drive longer distances.

I would want to do some shopping on the east cost, maybe find a place there that's no too cold and at the sea (suggestion?) and do at least some driving maybe two days about 800km each maximum, in my rented "gas guzzler" on roads without to much traffic, just for the fun of it. Any chance? Thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM

Well, maybe you should look at the North or South Carolina coasts. Don't know what the weather is like in late November, but the beaches are much nicer than most of the Texas ones (need to get way down south in Texas to get the good beaches).

Hope you have a good trip!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM

Seems like you're quite flexible with your itinerary.

I'll drive down the coast. From Newark, the NJ coast is quite nice. You'll pass through Atlantic City to get to Cape May and there's a ferry to take you across the Delaware Bay to Lewes. Continue south along the Delmavar Peninsula and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel system to Virginia Beach. Continue south to the outer banks of North Carolina.

This is a pretty slow drive and can take your 2-3 days if you want to do it leisurely. When you get tired of it, go west and pick up I-95 and go back north or go somewhere else.

---

The mountains are also not too far from Newark. The Catskills in southern New York state and the Poconos in eastern PA are just hours from Newark. You can also follow I-81 in PA through WV to VA to the Shenandoah Valley, Skyline Drive, and Appalachians in WV and so on.

---

Or drive south to Florida, with stops at Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA.

---

And so on...

Just depends on what you really want to do.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:06 AM

Hi logos-

I am a big fan of outlet mall shopping. Here is a start:

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/centers/

I lived in Boston for 8 years before I moved to Switzerland last July and I would go to one of the outlets at least once a month (mainly the Wrentham one and the Clinton Crossings one while driving to Long Island to see the parents).

I find that the outlets are more user friendly.

Here is another good link:
http://www.mallseeker.com/westbrook-outlets.aspx

I find that the Westbrook location is better than the Clinton Crossings one (it has an Old Navy outlet which I adore). The Westbrook outlet mall is just further up interstate I-95 North heading to Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

I would think with those 3 alone, you'd find more than enough for 2 pieces of luggage. I have not been to the outlet malls in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, but I am sure I will get ther eone day.

If you do decide to go to the outlest malls, they do usually have some sort of coupon book that you can buy for about $5. You can get the booklet for free if you have AAA (a US auto club) or a Continental Airlines Onepass card (not all malls accept it). That way you can at least save some money since you plan on spending a lot!

Have Fun!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

>quite flexible with your itinerary.
Yes, I don't have one right now. Is going west to Ohio an option, or may it become "boring" with not much to see?
From there south and back to the coast going north to EWR again? I don't want to do too much driving on those slower mountain roads. And maybe they're rainy/snowy too?
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
lvk

Great flight price logos! As other posters have pointed out, there is plenty of great shopping on the east coast. Obviously, the farther south you go, the warmer it will be.

You can cover a lot in two weeks. Your post reminds me of the time my husband's Bavarian cousin was doing his U.S. driving tour. He called us from Florida and said -- "See you tomorrow." We live in Southern California, and just laughed at him. But guess who was at our doorstep the next evening? He and his buddy drove it in a day and 1/2!

Welcome to the U.S. and happy shopping!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks freeman! Sounds very interesting, I'll check out those links. Yes I'm planning to spend some money, since I'm no longer willing to pay 19% VAT on low quality clothing sold at outrageous prices at home!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:26 AM

Ohio? Well, it's unlikely you'll see major snow storms in late November through the Appalachians. You can easily take I-80 or the Pennsylvania Turnpike over. But really, that's not much there to see once in Ohio.

You can stop in Pittsburgh, visit Falling Waters, etc.

Basically, there are stuff to see everywhere to go. Really depends on your interest (besides shopping).
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 09:42 AM

Just so you're aware in November you won;t find beach weather anywhere except South Florida - at least a thousand miles from where you're landing.

The weather is the mid Atlantic states will be fairly similar to Munich. There are a bunch of discount malls ranging from mid/upscale (Woodbury Commons about an hour north of NC) to mid range (several in the Secaucus/meadowlands areas) and some near Philly mentioned above.

You're likely to find mostly winter/holiday clothes on sale - with the left overs of summer things .

I think you need to decide what you want to do besides shopping (and if that's only discount malls) before people can make a lot of recos.

Unless you do nothing but drive, in two weeks you'll never even make it to Texas and back - never mind California - the US is BIG.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM

logos-- I would love to help you but don't know enough about the East Coast to offer much good advice. If you go south to Florida, you might get some fabulous weather. We were there in November year before last and temps were in the 70s and 80s during the day. We met some British friends there, and they went crazy over the outlet mall.

Have fun and please report back!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM

If you're flying in/out of Newark, definitely hit the Jersey Gardens mall just across the expressway from the airport. (Same exit as one of our massive IKEA stores.) Google it for a list of stores; I usually have great luck at their Gap Outlet (cotton ), and the H&M is pretty good there, too, though you probably don't need our version!

Another terrific outlet shopping experience in the area is Woodbury Commons, north of NYC on the edge of the Catskills area. Easy to get to from NJ without going into NYC. Google that one, too - a mind-boggling number of shops!

Good luck with your decisions! What a great, fun thing to do!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've been to Florida, but I really didn't like it at all, except for the panhandle. Most other parts were imho "sterile" and hard to bear. Rural Alabama and Louisiana were quite fascinating as well as Tenessee is for the music! I want to do some shopping but wouldn't want to stay in places that look anything like southern Florida. . It's frightning to me to see people lock themselves away in their living quaters like they're afraid of their environment. Right now shopping in New Jersey, then going as far south as North Carolina then west and north again sounds like a good idea.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ggreen! Jersey Gardens it'll be. I didn't realize that it was so close to the airport!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

>Woodbury Commons
Looks VERY interesting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -