Old Apr 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSNBC's Top 10 Most Underrated Cities

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18024681/

I like it cause #5 is my home town!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I'm really surprised that a few of these cities are on the list- Kansas City, Providence, and Sacramento (no offense to anyone from these cities). It's just that when I visited these cities recently (within the last year), I didn't get a very good impression...is it just me?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I think Kansas City is a great city-
low cost real estate, many nice restaurants- several lake communities to live close by ( I used to live at one) The Country Club Plaza is beautiful.

Sacramento- daughter lives there. At first I didnt like it but its growing on me as I see more of it and there is so much to do in the surrounding area- skiing, hiking, wine tasting etc - so I vote for those two
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

I also loved Sacramento. The Old Town is cool, the airport is the best in that part of CA. Next time we go, we're spending an extra day there.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
kit

It's you...
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Mixed feeling about Sacramento on the list. I think maybe my San Jose deserved the 10th spot instead. I know that reamark will get comments, LOL.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM

Wow, many of those underrated cities are my favorite cities. I love Mpls., Kansas City, Providence. Have enjoyed Baltimore, Houston and Sacramento too but haven't been to them as often.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 10:03 PM

One delightful activity in Sacramento is to take advantage of their wonderful bike trail system. It goes from Discovery Park along the American River to the Nimbus Dam. You can pick up the trail at numerous sites along the way. Entering at Discovery Park, you get a map of the trail which includes the water fountain and restroom stops. The trail passes through a number of beautiful parks, perfect for picnics.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM

We have dear friends who live near Rome Italy, but they also own a house on the southern side of Kansas City. When they first spoke of buying in KC, my DH and I thought WHY KC??? We also had not had very good experiences when visiting there. But after having visited our Italian friends at their lovely "vacation home" in KC, I can see that it is a wonderful place for them to own property! I'm glad KC made the list of 10 places.

I also enjoy Louisville several times each year! Nice city!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Brutforce

I agree w/about half of this list & in fact, Louisville is one of the few cities in the north that I would reside in (& I have lived there before). Baltimore I would agree w/10 years ago, before they totally ruined the Inner Harbor area & Fells Point w/over development. Sac-Town was where my company wanted me to move to from Louisville. I spent enough time there on business to know better. I won't even get into the roller coaster home market out there. #'s 5-9 I totally can see. Houston ?!? urban sprawl to the nth degree. KC is a nice little town as long as you have no beach or Mt. requirements ( I have both). I would probably sub-in Denver, Columbus, Oh., Jacksonville & perhaps Tucson.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:39 AM
JJ5

Agree- especially with KC. I'm currently getting Louieville rec's in the mail, both marketing/travel and business related. Will go for sure sometime in next two years.

Going to Minneapolis this summer for baseball- airfares are miniscule right now and all true re the article, from what I hear. I absolutely do think in my case that I like these kinds of cities just as much as the mega- if not more.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Brutforce

JJ - if visiting Louisville it may be easier (& Cheaper) to fly into Cincy & drive down (about an hour). No visit would be complete without a visit to Churchill Downs so try & go when they are running. Even if you don't like the ponies, it is well worth the trip.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM

KC is great and so is Sacramento but Houston? There isn't anything about Houston that should make this list.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

brutforce....my husband's office is in Cincy and it's never cheap to fly there. We route all our employees through Dayton, Columbus, Lexington and Louisville. CVG is the most expensive airport around. Southwest flies into Louisvllle (SDF) and Delta is pretty strong here.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM
dgg

I'm happy to see the beloved home of my childhood, Pittsburgh, made the list. It is underrated. Not to bash a city, but I was a bit surprised that Houston made the list. Oh well, to each his own.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:12 AM

In defense of brushfire, there is a difference between viisiting a city as a tourist and living there. I gathered that this list emphasizes liveability over bang-up tourist attractions. Having said that, I agree that some of the cities on the list--Baltimore, Minneapolis--stand head and shoulders above others.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I live outside Sacramento in the Sierra Foothills. I agree with Sacramento being on the list. It used to be the "cow town", but in the last ten years it has really "grown up". There are many wonderful restaurants in the area. Of course we have the Kings basketball team plus the River Cats baseball team. The American and Sacramento Rivers provide endless recreation oportunities along with the numerous lakes. We are within two hours to the ocean or the ski slopes.

The wine country around Amador/El Dorado County is IMHO better than Napa/Sonoma. Most have no tasting fees, at many you can meet the winery owners and some have gorgeous hilltop views.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Houston? I go there on business. I'm trying to remember a trip to Houston where it wasn't over 95 degrees, or pouring buckets with flooded roads. I guess if one stayed long enough, one would have to encounter decent weather.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM
GoTravel

I love Fort Lauderdale but underrated? By whom?

It is expensive as hell but there is a ton of things to do there. Fantastic shopping, dining, attractions and the best beaches on the east coast.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I really don't get a lot on this list, especially Baltimore. Have been several times. Agree the Inner Harbor area is not as nice as it used to be.