Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving to the Hardeeville, SC/ Savannah, GA area- SC or GA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-to-the-hardeeville-sc-savannah-ga-area-sc-or-ga-877533/)

MidniteFlyer Feb 11th, 2011 12:27 PM

Moving to the Hardeeville, SC/ Savannah, GA area- SC or GA?

Hi Everyone,
I am looking to re-locate to the southern South Carolina area (liked Hardeeville) or on the Georgia side; outskirts of Savannah- Rincon, Port Wentworth and wanted to know from those who know and live in the area (or have in the past) what are the pros/cons of each area State.
I currently live in a Tri-State PA/MD/DE area and know the variables of tax base, retirement considerations (although that is a bit far off) and other considerations that makes one area/State more attractive over another.
I traveled to Savannah several years ago.....and fell in love.
Leaving Savannah on my last visit (11/2010) I went thru Hardeeville and liked the area and it is still close and thought this area could work as well.
So I have putting plans in place, sold my home last January and just have a few other loose ends to tie up before making the move.
So any insight, suggestions you can make of the areas would be greatly welcome.
Thanks

Gretchen Feb 11th, 2011 12:30 PM

Brave person to move to an area without a test drive. Good luck. I'd look for a rental.

Ackislander Feb 12th, 2011 03:28 AM

Umm, what do you plan to do for a living?

suewoo Feb 12th, 2011 03:45 AM

Be aware that SC has a high unemployment rate.

weber6560 Feb 12th, 2011 01:56 PM

I split my time beween Atlanta and Beaufort and really don't see significants differences between the areas. Income taxes about the same, sales taxes about the same. Property taxes in Beaufort seem a bit high, but that's a local thing. As a native South Carolinian, I must admit that georgia does seem to have its overall act together a bit more than SC. Atlanta seems to drive Georgia. Take it away and there wouln't be a dimes difference. In comparing Hardeeville and the Savannah suburbs, it seems to me you are comparing small town to and urban area. I think either would work.

MidniteFlyer Feb 22nd, 2011 12:17 PM

Thank you all,
Thank you weber6560,
I understand that Georgia is a good tax environment for retirees (although I have a few yrs. to go). Social Security income is exempt, and so is up to $35,000 per person of most types of retirement income, including pensions, annuities, rental income and investment income for residents 62 and older. Retirement income above the exclusion amount is taxed at ordinary rates that top out at 6%. Beginning in 2012, taxes on retirement income will be phased out. The statewide sales tax is 4%,(Good) but local jurisdictions can add up to 4% of their own taxes (not so good). Food and prescription drugs are exempt. Real estate taxes may include a combination of county, city, school and state taxes, depending on location. Full-time residents qualify for a homestead exemption of up to 40% of the fair market value of their house, and residents 65 and older may qualify for additional deductions. There is no inheritance or gift tax, and a limited estate tax.
South Carolina on the other hand also does not tax Social Security benefits. SC allows residents 65 and older to deduct up to $15,000 per person ($30,000 per couple) of qualified retirement income when calculating their state income tax. Retired military personnel 65 and older can deduct up to $10,000 of military retirement benefits. State income-tax rates range from a low of 3% to a high of 7%. Property taxes are very low. Taxes are based on 4% of the market value of the home, and homeowners 65 and older qualify for a homestead exemption that excludes the first $50,000 of the property's fair market value from property taxes. It seems here is one big difference between the two.
The comparison of Hardeeville and Savannah is that yes, I love the urban, but at heart am a farm girl, so I like the small town aspect knowing things to do are close by.