Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving to Southern California? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-to-southern-california-242128/)

jen Jul 22nd, 2002 11:55 AM

Moving to Southern California?

Significant other has had a promising business opportunity arise in SoCal... L.A. or San Diego. Would love some advice about living in these areas... <BR>About us: we are in our 30s, one dog, no kids. not huge partiers, but do like to go out with friends on weekends. Need to be in an urban area, both for our work and by personal preference, but would also love access to outdoor recreation. We live in Chicago (Lakeview area)now, so are used to a high-ish cost of living. Would be willing to pay up to $1,500/month rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. We'd also love to be somewhere where we could actually walk to a grocery store, dry cleaner, etc., maybe a restaurant and bar or two (I'm well aware that I may be dreaming on this one). While we like an urban setting and are into culture, nice restaurants, etc., I would say that we are fairly typical midwesterners in that we are pretty laid back, and not way into appearances. <BR><BR>While we know that SoCal will be a bit of a culture shock (after Chicago) for us, our research thus far indicates San Diego is more our "speed" than L.A. What do you folks think? Also, looking for advice on neighborhoods in which to begin looking for a place to live (yes, we will go out there to scope it out, but would like to hear some opinions for those of you in the know as well). I hope I've given enough info...any insights are much appreciated!

Mina Jul 22nd, 2002 12:21 PM

I don't know SD that well, but I'll put in a vote for L.A....<BR><BR>There are lots of nice areas to live in L.A. county, as well as Orange County. Based on your criteria, I will suggest the Belmont Shores area of long beach. <BR><BR>This area is pretty safe, based on the housing costs, upperclass (a 1300 sq. ft bungalow home can cost $500,000). The neighorhood is very cute. However, you should be able to get an apartment within your budget, no problem.<BR><BR>There is a strip of bars, restaurants, aned shopping along second street, which is the area's main vein. A Vons market is nearby. Depending where in Belmont heights you live, it's all walking distance.<BR><BR>Belmont Heights is also right next to the beach. Granted, it isn't So Cal's prettiest stretch of sand, but it's great for walking the dog, or going rollerblading. You can skate to the Queen Mary on a nice day, and there are a couple of breweries you can pop into along the way for a pint.<BR><BR>A 10 minute drive away is Downtown Long Beach. There is a perfoming arts center where you can get your fix of some culture. LB also boasts a nice aquarium.<BR><BR>The weather is pretty nice. Doesn't get as hot as many places in So Cal. <BR><BR>Also, a fun thing to do in the area is kayak! You can kayak into the "Naples" area, where there are multimillion dollar homes along canals, and has Venice-y feel to it.<BR><BR>Because Belmont Shore is a beach area, the people seem more laid back than L.A. It seems to have a good mix of people in the area, especially a solid gay population. Since there is a university in LB, you'll see college students as well. But the majority of the people who own homes here seem to be families.<BR><BR>I hope this gives you a start to your search!

Mina Jul 22nd, 2002 12:35 PM

Whoops..part of the above post should have read "Belmont Shore is right next to the beach" instead of Belmont Heights. Belmont Heights is also another good area near Belmont Shore, but a bit cheaper in terms of housing.<BR><BR>And I can never remember if it's Belmont Shore or Shores, but I'm sure if you look into it, you'll figure it out!

x Jul 22nd, 2002 12:52 PM

out of the two...definitly san diego. easy city to get around (with a vehicle). can't beat the area for outdoor recreation - beach volleyball, rollerblading on boardwalk/bay area, lots of biking clubs, desert exploration, hiking in the cuyamaca (sp?)park (east of sd), walks on the beach, and on and on. the one shock some people have from places such as chicago is that san diego is NOT a late night city. the "gaslamp" district downtown can be happening late into the night but many restaurants close down by around 10:00 p.m. there are several areas that have your shopping etc. within walking distance of apartments. hillcrest is prime for this but it is a gay district. claremont has lots of areas like this - some areas are fun down but some are great and one of the lower priced areas - very central, easy access to numberous freeways. pacific beach would be another area with your requirements. $1,500 would give you a decent 2 bedroom but nothing fancy and not in the BEST neighborhoods. it's a very expensive city to live in but if you can afford it, it is wonderful. (drive down the mexican coast for dinner...oh, i miss it.)

xxx Jul 22nd, 2002 01:54 PM

$1,500 might pull off a 1 bedroom in a non-luxury complex, but forget about the 2 bedroom thing. And you're probably not going to be able to live in the best neighborhood for $1,500 in LA or SD. <BR><BR>Belmont Shores is a fun town, but not cheap.

Pedro Jul 22nd, 2002 01:56 PM

Southern Ca is two worlds. Poor hispanic neighborhoods, 60% of the area and white neighborhoods that are very expensive.<BR><BR>It is surely not Kansas.

wow Jul 22nd, 2002 01:58 PM

If you find a two bedroom rental with a yard for a dog in a nice urban neighborhood, please share your secret!

Barbara Jul 22nd, 2002 02:21 PM

Jen, You should get a fairly decent apartment in San Diego for $1200-1500 and San Diego has everything you'd want. Areas I would suggest are: Pacific Beach, Bay Park, La Jolla, Mission Bay, Mission Hills, Coronado, Bankers Hill,Downtown, Fashion Valley, Mission Valley. Good luck!

Vicki Jul 22nd, 2002 02:27 PM

Stay in Chicago. Southern California is one big dust bowl and the part that isn't dusty is covered in concrete. They water these tiny little yards and think they have the Garden of Eden. You might make more money in California, but it won't go nearly as far. They have water shortages, electricity shortages, and no one speaks English. Stay in the Midwest.

Mina Jul 22nd, 2002 02:41 PM

Hi again Jen...<BR><BR>I did see the other day, the most adorable house in Belmont Shore for $1700/mo. It probably wasn't available for very long. <BR><BR>My friend rented a 2 bedroom for $1000. No parking though, which can be a pain.<BR><BR>For whatever reason, the rents in Belmont Shore are all over the place. I've seen great deals, and some that only the very rich can afford.<BR><BR>As for all the negative posts about So Cal...yes, we have our problems. But I love living here. And as you can see, I can speak English.<BR><BR>Hablo espanol tambien.

J Correa Jul 22nd, 2002 02:54 PM

I am a native Californian who wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Anyplace has trade-offs. In California we have a high cost of living and traffic problems. We also have great weather, lots of diversity, and natural beauty. It basically depends on what you want and what is important to you. <BR><BR>I could definitely recommed coming out to visit both LA and SD to see if you like it out here.

caroline Jul 22nd, 2002 03:04 PM

We lived in Hermosa Beach for about a year. It's a beach community with restaurants, shops, etc. We have two dogs and found a 1-bedroom rental for $1100. Hermosa is really dog friendly, which is totally important to us. The neighboring towns are Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach. You might want to look at those also.

Mina Jul 22nd, 2002 03:14 PM

Caroline...<BR><BR>Having grown up in that area, it's usually my choice to recommend, but finding something cheap is hard! You got a decent deal! 7 years ago, my friend rented a studio loft for $1200 (cute but pricey).<BR><BR>However, not too long ago, I saw a strand (beachfront for those who don't know) rental for $1800 a month. 2 bedroom, 1 bath. I wanted to check it out, because for that price, it had to be a hovel!<BR><BR>Jen, Hermosa, Manhattan, and (south) Redondo is my number one pick for So Cal living. It's the quintessential local beach living, in my opinion. But that living comes at a steep price!!<BR><BR>Have fun researching!

jen Jul 22nd, 2002 05:20 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations so far... I should mention that I have been to SoCal before... been to the L.A. area about 4 times, San Diego once-so I do have an idea of the "flavor" of both areas-- in fact, Mina, I have a good friend who lives in Long Beach...<BR><BR>And Vicky, actually the electricity shortages of which you speak are part of why California presents a good opportunity for us... my boyfriend is in the backup power business-- generators, etc.!<BR><BR>Keep the info coming!

ex-San Diegan Jul 22nd, 2002 05:22 PM

Choose San Diego. It is definitely more low key. It will be hard to find an apartment at that price, but not impossible. Stay as close to the beach as possible. We lived in Bay Park and loved it. You can walk to a few things there, but not much. Bay Park is close to downtown, the beaches, shopping, etc. The further inland you go the hotter it gets in the summer. Before we moved to Bay Park we lived in Pacific Beach and loved that also. The weather in San Diego is nicer than LA. The smog is less of a problem, too. Although inland from San Diego, you do run into more smog. There are many places to live where you can walk to stores, restaurants, etc. But.... do some research about the crime rates in a neighborhood before you rent. Look for bars on the windows of houses in the neighborhood. There are several nice communities just north of San Diego, also. Access to outdoor recreation is incredible, no matter where you live in San Diego.

mare Jul 22nd, 2002 06:13 PM

There are some great low airfares right now from Chicago, go out for a long weekend and check it all out. Fly into San Diego, rent a car, drive up through Mira Mesa, La Jolla, Carlsbad, up the coast, fly home from Long Beach or Orange County or LAX. National Hertz and Avis have good weekend car rental rates, even on the one-ways. <BR><BR>I vote for La Jolla, Hermosa Beach or Brentwood/West L.A.

wendy Jul 22nd, 2002 06:32 PM

go for San Diego. I lived there for 8 years (relocated to NYC), and it's a fantastic city. Choose a beach community, let your dog roam free and watch as the world stops to let the sun drop beneath the ocean. Here's a short run down on beach communities:<BR><BR>Pacific Beach: pretty young crowd - early to mid 20s. head to north pacific beach for a mellower, and more neighborhood-like vibe. <BR><BR>mission beach: young, transient community filled with kids on permanent vacation. this is a fun place to visit, but not to live. i lived here for 1 year and quickly left because no one wanted to sleep when i did - at night.<BR><BR>ocean beach: has a reputation for attracting hippies, but it's a very laid back, welcoming beach community. there is a beach called Dog Beach nearby - dogs can run free on that particular strip of sand. Point Loma is nearby and is the crowd is older, and some of the houses are amazing. <BR><BR>La Jolla: if you can afford it, do it. it's probably one of the most beautiful places in san diego county. EXPENSIVE. <BR><BR>Del Mar: also gorgeous. wonderful little shopping street (15th Street). flavor is a bit republican (and san diego is a fairly conservative town in general).<BR><BR>Encinitas/Leucadia/Solana Beach: all fantastic beach towns up Highway 5. Horrible traffic, fantastic views. there's a dog beach around here, too...or maybe it's in del mar. <BR><BR>Carlsbad: about 25-30 minutes north of San Diego. Great town, nice, laid back, welcoming vibe, range of incomes...you might really like it here too, although the commute into downtown SD will frustrate you. But, it's that much closer to LA. <BR><BR>Outdoor recreation abounds in San Diego. You can be hiking, surfing, rollerblading, running, biking...just about anything you can think of, within 20-25 minutes. Skiing is a 2-3 hour drive away.<BR><BR>Obviously, San Diego has a special place in my heart. If I ever find my way back to CA, that's where I'll head. Good luck.

SHAWN Jul 22nd, 2002 09:53 PM

Los Angeles is huge - where is the job opportunity in LA? It will make a big difference as you will want to live reasonably close-by.

Joe Jul 23rd, 2002 05:59 AM

People who have responded seem to have neglected your "urban" wants. <BR><BR>In San Diego, the only areas that qualify would be North Park, Mission Hills, Hillcrest, and Kensington. These areas have great shops, restaurants and all border each other very close to Downtown and Balboa Park. I think your rental range is optimistic, but try www.sdinsider.com.<BR><BR>In LA, you could be happy in Long Beach (Belmont Shores/Heights are communities there, but not very urban), maybe the Hollywood/Bevery Hills east areas, and Santa Monica. You cannot live is these areas for desired price. Santa Monica has rent control, but I don't know how one gets in on that scam.

joe Jul 23rd, 2002 06:03 AM

LA offers so much more. Having lived in the LA area and having had to move to San Diego for a job, we now find ourselves constantly going back to LA on weekends for the museums, theater, and good restaurants.