Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving to Seattle and need some advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-to-seattle-and-need-some-advice-886114/)

snicsbrown Apr 10th, 2011 06:15 PM

Moving to Seattle and need some advice!

I'm looking for advice on the best neighborhood/s in Seattle for singles in their mid 30's. Also the most dog friendly neighborhoods!

Gardyloo Apr 10th, 2011 07:39 PM

Plenty of choices, but a little more info would help...

Where would you spend your days? Work at home, downtown, ?

Like street life or prefer more quiet?

Will you have a car and how much will you use it?

Rent or own?

Views? Water? Many bus lines?

So anyway, some neighborhoods/districts to visit:

Capitol Hill - lots of commerce, gay/straight/ethnic diversity, good public transportation, parking's a pain, no dog parks close.

Belltown/Denny Regrade - plenty of night life/restaurants/bars. Mostly apts. and condos. Not much on the dog front, some distance to supermarkets etc. but Pike Market walkable.

Queen Anne - upper and lower. Similar to Capitol Hill.

Wallingford/Fremont - hip and funky, just ask them.

West Seattle/Alki - lots happening around California Ave. SW, also along the beach at Alki. Longish commute to downtown.

South Lake Union - rapidly developing area between downtown and Lake Union. Numerous apts. and condos, increasing restaurant/bar scene, not much on the dog/park front.

University District/Ravenna/Greenlake - student vibe around the UW, becoming more residential as you go north and west. Very dog-friendly area (great dog park at Magnuson Park - near Ravenna/View Ridge).

Ballard - Lots going on, although also a bit distant from downtown.

Madison Park - Yuppies now more middle-aged. Still pretty nice.

Suburbs have any interest?

happytrailstoyou Apr 10th, 2011 08:12 PM

Capitol Hill would be first on my list, too, unless you had stated a preference for not being conveniently located to downtown in a well-established neighborhood with all the amenities you might want.

HTTY

RainyDay09 Apr 10th, 2011 10:40 PM

Gardyloo's list is pretty comprehensive. think about moving here though. I have lived here for 17 years and cannot wait to get out. Unfortunately I am not finding luck with any opportunities to get the hell out of here.

Bobmrg Apr 11th, 2011 06:57 AM

RainyDay, don't let the door hit you on the way out. You represent a distinct minority.

suze Apr 11th, 2011 07:13 AM

Where are you going to be working? I would take that into consideration because traffic/commute is one of the few things in Seattle I don't love.

I put Capitol Hill at the top of your list. I live here and love it. It would be my first suggestion. It's a very dynamic, lively, diverse neighborhood.

If you want a more laid-back outlying area but still close to the city look at Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford.

Queen Anne is very nice, if somewhat quiet and residential, if you were working downtown.

For a more urban feel look at the newly developed South Lake Union area. Also Belltown.

Any specific questions. Just ask!

suze Apr 11th, 2011 09:11 AM

(I don't know why anyone would stay and live 17 years in a place they hate, that says more about the poster than it does about the city.)

happytrailstoyou Apr 11th, 2011 10:58 AM

Getting back to the OP, all Seattle neighborhoods (but not all apartment buildings) are welcoming to dogs. We love our pets.

HTTY

beanweb24 Apr 11th, 2011 11:15 AM

I'm a dog owner that lives in Fremont, and I love it. I'm able to take my dog to the Fremont Brewing Company (1.5 blocks away!), Norm's Eatery and Alehouse, and The Leary Traveler. I can also walk her on the Burke Gilman Trail down to the water at Gas Works Park...we both enjoy sitting up on the hill with a blanket, a book, and a picnic. When the weather is nice, it's about a 15 minute drive to my favorite park, Disovery Park, which is dog friendly with your pet on a leash. Closer to home, there's an offleash park at Greenlake which is decent but can get muddy. Magnuson off leash park is also about 20 minutes in the opposite direction from Discovery Park. There's a dog beach there if your pup likes to swim.

I like my house because it's a 2 minute drive to 99/Aurora and pretty quick to 520 as well. I work in Bellevue which would probably horrify most folks, but the traffic isn't nearly as bad here as it was in DC so it doesn't bother me one bit. Besides, I have a pretty amazing view crossing Lake Washington every day. :)

joecher Apr 11th, 2011 12:10 PM

Seattle is a beautiful city, I cannot imagine why someone would want to get out of that city. Whenever we need a get away, we go to Seattle. Lots of good food, culture, beautiful outdoor and don't forget, the birthplace of Starbucks and Microsoft. It is a pet friendly place.

suze Apr 11th, 2011 12:12 PM

beanweb~ That's funny. I commuted Capitol Hill to Bellevue for over 10 years using 520. As long as no one wrecked ON the bridge, it's really not so bad. That said I'm thrilled to be working downtown now, with a 2 mile "commute" on surface streets.

lennyba Apr 11th, 2011 02:39 PM

When I was thirties and single with a dog (fairly recently), I was perfectly happy in West Seattle. However, do let us know where you'll be working, as commutes from there to some areas are a PITA and soon to get worse.

happytrailstoyou Apr 11th, 2011 06:25 PM

Snics, Since all neighborhoods are dog friendly, and most (or all) of them have single people in their 30s, do you have any other requirements that would help us figure out which neighborhood might be most suitable to you? HTTY

NorthwestMale Apr 11th, 2011 06:59 PM

Somebody with the nickname snicsbrown should have been in Seattle 30 years ago !!

suze Apr 12th, 2011 06:12 AM

Do you want an apartment, condo, duplex, house? Rent or buy? Those would also be big determining factors of which of the above suggested neighborhoods would be the best fit.