Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to Portland area......need help choosing neighborhood:)

Notices

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning to move to the portland area next year and need some help. I would like to be no more than 30 min. outside downtown, but am looking for a picturesque, country feel. Just apartment hunting for now but plan to buy a home soon so suggestions are welcome in that area as well.

We aren't millionares. Just normal people wanting to know which places to avoid.

Also, we are a same sex couple with a daughter. Would like a family friendly area.

Thanks so much

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
labrynthlily
You will absolutely love Portland. (Except for the cold, wet, rainy days, but who cares about that, right? )
I love Portland and try to go up as often as I can to visit my kids. I prefer the Portland city area - especially NW, and SE areas. You can find some beautiful older homes. You might check the Mt. Washington area.
Check out the great little neighborhood restaurants on Alberta Street, and Mississippi Street for a fun day out.
Hope you get a good real estate agent who can really give you much better advice.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI, there's no reason to re-post this and start a whole new thread. Your old one is still there. If you ever lose a thread, just click on your name and you can get right back to it. If you want to "top" it just post "ttt" as a new response at the bottom, and it will pop right back up to the top of the list of threads again...
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andrew, I read your info regarding how to find a post. I have had a devil of a time doing that lately. It used to work - but the last few months it's not been effective at all.
I just now typed in OP's name and something random popped up. I think Katie is working on getting the function up and running again.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm - clicking on my username works fine for me. I've been clicking on my own name for as long as I can remember to get back to my own threads, and it almost always works. Sometimes it doesn't seem to refresh til I click it twice, but only rarely; otherwise no problem.

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I made a mistake (I know it's the first one ever ) I used to type my name in the little box that's labeled "seach this forum" and that is the one that is not working properly.

You are saying double click on your screen name next to author. I did that and (like magic) it appears - you are right. Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a few things to talk to a Real Estate agent about:
state income tax..advantage to live in Washington State (just across the Columbia river)
look at commute rush hour traffic across the river might be bad ...
real estate tax.. Wash has no state income tax but it does place a hefty sales tax when you sell your real estate property determined by the county
healthcare is very good in Portland proper..watch healthcare in Wash by the state border..
ask for the crimes by zip..some areas of Portland have a high crime rate.
we liked the college area whne we were there but may need to consider little kids schools...
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1JAR: state income tax..advantage to live in Washington State (just across the Columbia river)

Right, as long as you don't also work in Oregon - then you pay Oregon income taxes even if you live in Washington. If you work in Washington State and happen to be self-employed (e.g. lawyer, contractor) then pay Washington's Business & Occupation (B&O) tax, the rate set based on your profession on your gross, not net income. So if you make $200K/year being self-employed, you may be able to write off lots of things on your federal income tax, but you don't get to write off anything when you pay your Washington B&O tax (though the rate may be low).

All businesses in Washington pay a B&O tax - that's how they get 50% of the state revenue (the other 50% coming from sales tax).

ask for the crimes by zip..some areas of Portland have a high crime rate.

City of Portland runs the website www.PortlandMaps.com into which you can type any address (not just a zip code) and look for recent crimes, sex offenders, and other info in the area. Very cool website.