Moving to portland& lodging ??

Mar 31st, 2004, 09:49 AM
Original Poster
Moving to portland& lodging ??

I am going to grad school at Pacific univ and want to buy a 2br home for under 150k. Want a nice safe neighborhood with young people. Any suggestions?
Also visiting soon to look for home- where to stay for about $70 per night. I have come across best western @ the meadow, hampton inn,shilo inn,beaverton. Any feedback? Or do you know of any good B&B

Mar 31st, 2004, 10:26 AM
having recently moved here, i'm not the most qualified but i thought i'd send some observations your way.

not only would a 2br in portland in town be hard to find, but the commute to forest grove would be hellish, from what i've seen.

i have been through forest grove and in my short time there, most of what i saw looked fairly decent and the town seems to center around the university. a trip to will show you there are a number of options for 2br in the 150k range.

having said that, the master planned community of orenco station in hillsboro ( has a number of housing options and has a few nice shops (a great local grocery operation has setup shop there). for a development like this in the 'burbs, it's not bad. plus, the area is built around a MAX station where you can get into to town no matter how bad the traffic is.

good luck on your move. they're right, things are 'different' here.
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:23 PM
You won't find anything around Portland in an acceptable (to you) neighborhood at that price. And Orenco Station is Intel country, so it might be difficult in that area too. Forest Grove and maybe Hillsboro, yes, but prices climb the closer you get to Portland.

Are the motels you list all in Beaverton? Beaverton is 20 miles from Pacific U.; I don't know why you'd stay there. I'd suggest McMenamin's Grand Lodge in Forest Grove. McMenamins is a local (not so anymore) micro-brewery that has refurbished several historic buildings in the area; the Grand Lodge is one. Check it out at

Search this Thread