Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to place with mosquitoes -- anyone tried those "Mosquito Eradicators"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:55 AM
nobites

We are moving down South and I've heard the mosquitoes can ruin backyard fun all summer long. I have seen ads for a "Mosquito Eradicator" sold by stores like Brookstone and Frontgate. However, I don't know anyone who has one. Does anyone here have one? Do they REALLY work? Are they worth the money (around $600 to keep 3/4 acre mosquito-free)? Or does anyone have any other good method of getting a yard rid of mosquitoes?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:00 PM
S

This summer Good Morning America ran a news article about mosquito repellants. If I remembered correctly, the final result was the only stuff that really worked was the bug spray with DEET. Something else that was mentioned was the recommendation by the National Academy of Pediatritians. They recommend products with no more than #% (?). But the results of a study of DEET indicates that the products with larger DEET numbers effectively mean that the product lasts longer.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:14 PM
my

My husband's family has a house on a pond in Rhode Island. It is so beautiful but the mosquitoes can be a nightmare! His sister had her wedding and reception there (outside) last summer -- the family had the entire yard sprayed by an exterminator, then bought one industrial strength eradicator and rented two more to cover the entire outdoor area. I only got one mosquito bite after being outside for hours -- and I'm usually the person that gets 10 bites in the moment I walk outside. Don't know if it was the ground spray or the eradicators but something did the trick.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:22 PM
Southerner

Deet is the one thing I can count on to work.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:37 PM
Paul

I've been looking at the Moquito Magnet ads. Seems like it would work. Expensive though. Anyone have experience with this?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:51 PM
ddd

I live in southeastern VA in what is essentially a reclaimed swamp. We've got plenty of mosquitoes but I don't know a soul who owns a Mosquito Eradicator.

But you got my curiosity going so I checked out the Brookstone site. You'll notice the text says it REDUCES the population, not eradicates it. Soulnds like a $600 put on to me. One that requires electricity and replacement cartridges.

The thing that works best for us is a screened in porch. Don't even consider buying a house with a multi-tiered expansive deck unless you plan on paying to have it screened in. You'll never use it otherwise.

Oh, that little deer replellant thingy they were advertising on the same page. That won't work either.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:15 PM
ddd

Paul,
I'm having a real slow day so I checked Mosquito Magnet website too. Says it needs to be located near the breeding area. Mosquitoes can breed in the water that sits in a pot saucer after a decent rain. Soooo... might work if you surrounded your property with a fleet of the things.

I swear this part of the world would be carpeted with Magnets and Eradicators if they REALLY worked.

Now I better go get a life.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:47 PM
x

Put up a Purple Martin House. The Purple Martins feed on mosquitos....

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:50 PM
bats

Or a bathouse. Bats eat mosquitoes, too.