Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving to HI-Job market? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-to-hi-job-market-235832/)

hank Jul 1st, 2002 12:11 PM

Moving to HI-Job market?

I am thinking of moving to Hawaii but was told from people that the job market is never good. Does anyone know this to be fact? Is it harder to get a professional job (office job) there then in other states? Thanks

xxx Jul 1st, 2002 12:34 PM

Is this a joke? Of course the job market is very limited in Hawaii. Tourism has been down this past year and there aren't near as many professional positions.

xxx Jul 1st, 2002 12:56 PM

Is this an employment forum now? Thought it was a travel/relocation/missing persons forum

aaa Jul 1st, 2002 01:40 PM

It is practically impossible to relocate to Hawaii unless you are a student who doesn't mind living off minimum wage, or in the military or have some other federal position. There are some critical occupational shortages, such as special education teachers, law enforcement, and nurses, but by and far these are the extreme exceptions.

darvy Jul 1st, 2002 03:03 PM

Um, Hank, darling, it's an island. IE: limited space. So, there will be limits that manifest themselves in other ways, like, for example, the job market. <BR><BR>Man, Hank, get it together man.

wer Jul 1st, 2002 03:36 PM

Children, children! The sun is shining. Go out and play, and leave the board to the grown-ups.<BR>[Sorry, Hank. Kids! What can you do with them?]

xxx Jul 1st, 2002 04:27 PM

You know all you rude posters, there's an easy way to keep yourself from being so wildly upset over a simple post. If you don't like the header, DON'T READ IT. Nobody appointed you the Fodors police.

dcp Jul 1st, 2002 04:35 PM

Take it from someone who's been there and tried that, it's a tough proposition unless you have very specialized and in-need skills (i.e. nurse, etc.). Not only is the job market tight but they often times do not like to hire haoles (mainlanders). Oahu is not as bad as some of the outer islands but still not great.

Gail Jul 1st, 2002 04:45 PM

To reiterate dave's point, mainlanders are NOT welcomed in HI if they're there to compete with locals for jobs.<BR>Think long and hard about that one, Hank.<BR>Most mainlanders don't last in HI, and the reasons are numerous.

John Jul 1st, 2002 04:46 PM

It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Have you even looked at their cost of living? Many people there work two or three jobs just to get by. Unless you have the skills to command a really good salary I would say forget it.

xxx Jul 1st, 2002 04:52 PM

I don't know how true Gail's statement is as I have met many hotel workers from the mainland and love living in Hawaii. The only thing they complain about is the high cost of living. A friend of mine just moved to Oahu in June but has been going back and fourth for the last 6 months. He loves it. His job is in the Healthcare industry, however, where there is a demand for his specialty.

mbln74a Jul 2nd, 2002 02:57 AM

Hi Hank, we did that...and were very lucky. If you can sell cars, you may do okay, as auto dealers are usually looking for salesmen. <BR>The general feel in Hawaii is, stick it out 1 year & you have a chance. Most people come with the idea of staying but don't last..usually because of the job market & high cost of living. Some do dumb things like coming with $1000 cash, which hardly gets you into an apt or even a room. That is another thing.. we were on the Big Island & renting a place was quite an ordeal...try giving local references when you just got there. <BR>Be sure to subscribe to local newspapers to see what jobs are available before making that plunge. There are forums for those who want to move there where you may get the kind of info you want. try www.volcanoalley.com.<BR>BTW we stayed 10 years. Aloha, Linda

x Jul 2nd, 2002 08:31 AM

Hank-Check out Monster.com, headhunter.net or any of the job sites. You may also want to access the Honolulu papers. <BR><BR>www.honoluluadvertiser.com<BR>www.50states.com/news/hawaii.htm <BR>starbulletin.com

Niele Jul 2nd, 2002 08:38 AM

Hank, what kind of job are you looking for, anyway?

Duane Jul 2nd, 2002 09:14 AM

There is a book called "So You Want to Live in Hawaii." You can find it at Amazon along with favorable reviews or go to your local B&N to page through it. It was published in 1999 so it shouldn't be outdated.

x2 Jul 2nd, 2002 01:47 PM

Lived on Hawaii if you don't have brown eyes come highly skilled, with your own business or ready to attend school.<BR><BR>Unless you find a Caucasian boss many Hawaiians will not let you in the door. If they do many co-workers will give you a cold shoulder. This is the truth and this is what I experienced. Actually when I left to Hawaii, I had teaching experience in a major metropolitan area as well as a college degree in Political Science. I did not get in that door but was snubbed in the application process. Speaking with a teacher who is a friend’s mother she told me; they talk about wanting educators but what they do is hire people to displace senior teachers of just a few years. That could happen to you also.<BR><BR>Largely, too many people want to find places for family or locals who are forced to leave the island if they can not find work. Too many business owners that will identify with people of Asian ancestry over you. I met people that were in from Asia getting jobs light years faster than I. AND THIS IS THE TRUTH. They did not always have relatives frequently they just had those brown eyes.<BR>