moving to Crystal City, any tips on neat things to do in this neighborhood

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:45 AM
moving moving

hello

I am new to this area. are there any good restaurants nearby, any fun little neighborhoods? does anyone have any favorite websites to research this kind of thing?

thanks

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:49 AM
xxx

Only help I can give is this:

DUCK and wear a kevlar vest!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Sam

I ddin't think people actually lived there, I thought it was entirely office buildings and hotels!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:01 AM
barbara

Crystal City is not a "neighborhood" -- its a huge group of government offices and apartment buildings, scattered with hotels and convenience retail operations for the workers and residents, like takeout food places, restaurants, a grocery store. You can go from your apartment to the subway to downtown without surfacing. No aesthetics. Aside from convenience, I would think not a great place to live -

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Name That State

Where IS this place?!?!?!?

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:06 AM
me

Just over the bridge from DC to Alexandria, Virginia or is it considered in DC? Been so long since I have been there I forget the exact location. I do remember it is near the Pentagon though.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:11 AM
DC Native

Crystal City is right across the Virginia border from DC. It is actually where Arlington Cemetary, the VP's home are located. I vould be wrong but I think technically the Pentagon is located in crystal City as well or at least just ajacent to it.

Crystal City is part of Arlington County in virginia and yes hundreds if not thousands of government offices are located there. The metro runs right to it. "moving moving" I hope you are going to Crystal City because your job (most likely federal govt. job) is located there. I agree with the other poster, it is very convenient!!!! However if you don't work there, another charming neighborhood, very close in and right on the metro is the Courthouse district of Arlington. Another metro line (the orange line ) runs right there and it has a more neighborhoody feel.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Mike

It's funny that everyone talks about Crystal City being inhabitable, yet it is one of the densest collections of apartments/condominiums in the DC area. The obvious advantage to CC is that it is one of the most affordable places on the Metro.

It is, however, fairly characterless. A few plusses, however, include:

- the walking trail that follows the Potomac down to Mt. Vernon and up beyond Arlington.

- there is a strip of "local" restaurants on 23d Street, plus a bunch of new "chain-type" restaurants closer to the apartments. There is even a gay bar, the only one in suburban Virginia.

- the best Middle Eastern hole-in-the-wall restaurant in DC -- Kabob Place, owned by a bunch of Afghans. Just look for all the taxi cabs double parked out front.

- within a mile to the largest Target inside the Beltway, plus an 18-screen theatre.

- walking distance or one metro stop to Pentagon City and National Airport.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Lynn

I agree with Mike Crystal City is in a really great location for people who want to get to places quickly. Condos are not super expensive (but high) and you can generally watch planes landing from your balcony. Parking is easy, metro is easy, flights are easy, great stores are close by. That fills the bill for many of us.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Bob

Despite the above comments, it's still a very nice place to live!!