Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to Chicago-Need sugg. for hair salons.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM
AET
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am moving to Chicago - living in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area and working in the city. Would like some suggestions on where is the best place a girl can get a great haircut!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:07 PM

If you look on the Citysearch Chicago page, they have lists of the best of everything, including where to get haircuts. Another good resource is a Chicago edition of Lucky magazine which usually lists salons in the local section in back. I now go to Salon Buzz to Eric after following my former stylist from Marianne Strokirk to Mon Ami Coiffeur to Troupe Salon before she left the business. They are all good salons but I couldn't recommend a particular stylist.

My suggestion would be to wait until you start working, find someone whose hair you like and then ask them where they get it done and who their stylist is. Particularly if they have hair similar to yours (certain stylists specialize in long hair, curly hair, etc).
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM

There are tons of salons in that area. I've used Robert Jeffery salon before-there is one on Halsted and one on Webster. Mario Tricocci salons have popped up all over too and are supposed to be good-i've only had makeup done for a wedding at the one at 900 N. Michigan, but they are supposed to be good "cutting edge" salons.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I travel 3 1/2 hours to have Arlene cut my hair. She's at Water Tower, the Sassoon salon. Going to Sassoon started as a treat to myself years ago, but since that first experience, I just kept going back! I have longish hair and am letting it grow into a "bob" shape. I don't need cuts more than about every 8-10 weeks.
Carol
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Kal

I'd listen to alex 'cuz she has a great lookin' mane!

Mrs Kal got her hair cut about 4 yrs ago at the same Sassoon Water Tower and for just being basically a "walk-in" got a very nice cut.
Me?...I comb my hair with a towel.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Thanks Kal! I still think the best way to find a good hairstylist is to ask for recommendations for people whose hair you like once you get here. And definitely don't hesitate to try a few different places!!! You will love Chicago! I have been here six years now and will probably never move back to NY!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM
AET
Original Poster

Thanks all - I can't wait to move to Chicago!!!! I know it's a great city.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Salon Duo at 1400 N Lake Shore Dr. It is in a beautiful building with fabulous views of the lake. Emilio and Scott are the best (somewhat pricey, but worth it!). The others are very good as well. They serve homemade cookies (Scott's mother makes them every week), great coffee, fridge full of sodas and even Champagne! The salon also has manicures and pedicures (Joanna is the best in the city) and have a spa. Beautiful spot with great services. The number is 312-664-8710...tell them Kristy referred you, they know me well .
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Can't really recommend a hair salon but you will luv that area. Hope you enjoy our city. Cheers, Larry
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 04:54 AM

I would recommend either salon buzz or charles efergan on oak street, but I would really avoid mon ami coiffeur, this place is unclean and dusty and for the same price you will get a far better service and experience at salon duo.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM

So many really nice salons, but I'm very happy with my latest - Art + Science. There are two locations: one in Lincoln Park (Armitage x Halsted -- a great area for shopping, restaurants, and the Steppenwolf Theater is down a few blocks), the other in Wicker Park, I believe. I go to the Lincoln Park location, have been to three stylists there, and they're all very good. Once you settle in, you'll hear a lot about them. Check out their website. Also, Salon 1800 on Armitage or on NOrth Avenue is very popular among the same Lincoln Park clientele. I've tried Marianne Strokirk, Buzz, Tiffany Kim, Mario Tricocci and Ifergan -- wasn't impressed by the talent there, and since you're paying so much at these places, you really want a good cut. Vidal Sassoon, however, always gave me a nice cut. I guess I just didn't like their location -- in the Water Tower Mall. Never felt all that relaxing with the mall noise and crowds right outside the door.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I am originally from Chgo and wish to move back someday. There are wonderful salons there. I have never had a bad haircut on a visit home.
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Interesting that this post is still going, since AET--the OP w/the request--has been in Chicago for probably more than one year. It would be nice to know what she did about her hair quandary!!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM

Just curious what a haircut at Vidal Sassoon costs. I'm from Central Illinois, and my hair dresser charges $21.00 for a hair-cut. I sat next to a woman at the Chicago Civic Opera who said hairdressers in Chicago charge about $300 for a hair-cut. Is this true? I was thinking of making an appointment at Vidal Sassoon, but not at that price

Sandy
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM

Sandypaws- why don't you call Vidal Sassoon and ask them how much they charge? You shouldn't be so gullible - do you really think every woman in Chicago pays $300 to get her hair cut?

You'll probably pay on average about $50.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
JJ5

You can get very good hair cuts by me, and some are in a country club or in a health club setting for much less than $50. FYI I go for about $22 and can get it done for $9 to $11 on walk-ins. Northside prices run much higher than some South or Suburban locations, coloring as well. I think it is what the market will bear. There are lots of very good hair stylists in the area.

IMHO, hair cut costs do NOT often reflect the results. It is still more important to find someone who cuts your type/style of hair the most expertly to please YOU.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM

I haven't been to Vidal (Arleen) for a while, but I paid about $80 for a cut the last time. I'm also from a more "central Illinois" location...
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM

sandypaws3 - nonsense, I refuse to pay over $50, and usually pay less, and I've lived in the city proper for 9 years. Although I wasn't happy with my last haircut so I'm looking for a new place, but hell would freeze over before I'd pay $300.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Kal

...and I STILL comb my hair with a towel.