Notices

moving to Chicago-best neighborhoods?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Sara

moving to Chicago-best neighborhoods?

Hello, I am planning on moving to Chicago next month for a job. I want to find a lively neighborhood to live for an early 30's single woman. I have heard a lot about Lincoln Park but am wondering if it is more for mid 20's people. I want an interesting social scene, but not with the 20 something still-in-college-party-mode crowd. ALso looking at Wrigleyville/Lakeview and Oak Park. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Cindy

I am a woman in my early 30's and live in Old Town. It is the next area South of Lincoln Park and next to the Gold Coast area. We are also known as the Near North area and it is just like Lincoln Park but I think a little less congested in terms of traffic and parking.
It has a very historic feel with a great choice of restaurants and cafes within walking distance. I lived in Lincoln Park and love my Old Town neigborhood even more.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:04 PM
marilyn

i'd suggest southeast Evanston, which seems to house singles and marrieds of all ages in nice vintage buildings, many in walking distance of both Lake Michigan beaches AND metra and el trains. Nice shops and restaurants, home to Northwestern University, great trees and housing, plus the lake is very accessible.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:46 AM
Ang

I live in Lakeview right off Lakeshore Drive and just a couple of blocks north of Lincoln Park. As a late 20s/early 30s (my husband) couple we love the area. I would not say this area or Lincoln Park is overrun with early 20s college kids (except the few blocks right around Depaul University) In fact, these are two of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. I can't inmagine there are that many young people straight out of school who could afford to buy a condo or even rent one in the area. I think younger people live in th ebucktown/Wicker Park area. Lots of artsy types, coffeehouse, music venues, and cheaper rents. As for the Oak Park area, it is very nice, one of my best friends and her husband have a small house there. However it is definitely more of a "family area", they moved there when they had a baby last summer. Not much for a single lady going on in the suburb.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:06 AM
Topper

ttt

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:15 AM
RacyT

Where is you job?

Chicagoland is big, big, big, and has horrible commutes.

If your job isn't IN the city, a commute to a far-flung 'burb can gobble up a couple of hours each way (commuter train schedules don't have great schedules for the "reverse commute").

I would recommend finding a place within a fairly easy commute of your job. Linclon Park, DePaul aside, isn't all that young (the area around Wrigley tendes to be a little younger and louder). Wicker Park ain't all that arty anymore, and isn't the most cost-effective neighborhood, if that's a concern.

Oak Park is nice, an easy commute to the Loop, and a little quieter. Evanston is about the same (although it's on the lake).

There are even some decent prices on some of the new Gold Coast highrises that went up during the boom and are having a hard time filling apartments -- if you don't have a car or a dog, they might be appealing to you.

Best of luck,
Racy

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:05 AM
Lisa

Please check out Roscoe Village...It is a great neighborhood for singles, families, couples...it has the restaurants and bars but more of a mature feel than Lincoln Park. Places like Wicker Park/Bucktown are a 5 minute cab ride away if you want nigthlife...

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:47 PM
Sara

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Lisa: Where is Roscoe Village? Cross-streets......

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:58 AM
alex

I would second Roscoe Village and Old Town. I used to live in Roscoe Village/St. Ben's at Addison and Damen and really enjoyed the neighborhood feel, the local bars, and the overall feeling of the neighborhood. It is definitely not a "see and be seen" neighborhood. My husband and I are looking to move back there when we buy again. I have several friends in their late 20's/early 30's who live in Old Town and love it. Great art galleries, restaurants, shopping. Plus, easy access to Gold Coast. There are plenty of activities for singles including activity clubs, etc...

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Maga

One of the earlier replies brought up a critical point. Look at your commute. Chicago can be a great place to live and work. But if you do not have easy access to and from either, you'll spend most of your time figuring out shortcuts and ways to avoid the parking lot that is the "freeway".

Aside from that, I could definitely recommend Bucktown. It was still on its way up when I last lived there two years ago. It has a little older crowd than Lincoln Park, but has a well established nightlife and restaurant scene all its own. It is just 15 minutes to the loop (on a good day) by car; it is just 20 minutes by bus and el.