Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving - I need help making a decision... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-i-need-help-making-a-decision-847627/)

wallflower Jul 1st, 2010 07:42 PM

Moving - I need help making a decision...

I'm 30 yrs old, single female originally from Chicago. I currently live in Denver . I've lived in Tampa, Boston, Phoenix. I've also traveled all over the United States. I have a few places in mind but I'm really confused about where to move next. I've been here in Denver since October. I moved out here to be with a boyfriend...well we broke up a few months ago. I'm really unhappy here in Denver. I find Denver kind of boring, plain and hard to meet new friends. Also, Denver is too small of a city for me. I want a change....Basically I'm a city girl at heart but I also like having the option of doing outdoorsy things.

Places I'm thinking about:

1. Seattle
2. Somewhere in Cali
3. Portland
4. NYC
5. Dallas

Also, I want to move somewhere that's easy to meet new friends. Has a good dating scene...good job market and affordable rent. I love trendy areas with swanky wine bars. I prefer 4 seasons of the year instead of extreme heat. But the weather is the least priority. I just want to live somewhere fun!

tchoiniere Jul 1st, 2010 07:43 PM

First priority should be a job. What is your job?

wallflower Jul 1st, 2010 07:53 PM

I have a degree in HR with minor Psychology. Since graduating college I've had different type jobs...mostly Administrative, Legal or Retail. I'm planning the move for next March.

sunbum1944 Jul 1st, 2010 08:07 PM

Affordable rent?- well that eliminates Seattle, California, NYC- I don't know the Dallas market

Portland I think is a great city - I live just down the road in Eugene - and would be my preference and rent likely better than many places- certainly lots of outdoor activities

Have you considered Austin Tx- have heard that is a great place for the young

LSky Jul 1st, 2010 08:13 PM

I've been to Texas a couple of times, Dallas mainly. Texans are certainly friendly, I don't know how hard it is to break into a social scene, I've only been there on business but nice people, generally. Hot in the summer.

If weather is low on your priority list, have you considered Tucson? It's a pretty place, lots of young people - hot in the summer but it seems to have a lot going on.

paula1470 Jul 1st, 2010 08:13 PM

What is affordable rent to you? Some places in California aren't as bad for rent as others. Obviously living right in San Francisco is high. Austin is a good suggestion but it can be pretty hot in the summer. I think where you can find a job would be the most important thing.

beanweb24 Jul 1st, 2010 08:23 PM

I actually think Seattle is a good choice for you. Rent prices vary by area, so it would be helpful to know what you define as "affordable." Seattle has great neighborhoods and a plethora of activities outdoors to entertain you. There is a myth of "Seattle freeze" (in terms of people not being overly friendly or welcoming) but I moved here in 2007 from DC and have found the opposite to be true.

The dating scene pretty much stinks, though.

beanweb24 Jul 1st, 2010 08:28 PM

P.S. Seattle is not really a "trendy area with swanky wine bars" kind of city. It's more hipster than trendy and more microbrew than wine. That being said, you might enjoy the Lower Queen Anne or Belltown area. Wine bars you might like would be the Black Bottle, Purple, and The Local Vine.

wallflower Jul 1st, 2010 09:03 PM

I'm paying $625 here in Denver for a 1 bedroom and paid $1200 in Boston...so somewhere in the middle would probably work.

Andrew Jul 1st, 2010 09:51 PM

You can fairly easily get a 1BR in Portland for $700; $800 would get you a nice one or a better location. A friend rented a 1BR last year and is paying $610 living in Multnomah Village in a modestly nice place (she loves it).

Google for "Portlandbridges neighborhoods" if you want my Portland Neighborhoods Guide website!

WillTravel Jul 1st, 2010 11:05 PM

Obviously your salary will make a big difference in what type of rent is reasonable. If you make $10,000 more in one place than another, then that will easily cover an extra $500 per month in rent. I wonder if Dallas might not offer the best combination of salary, rent, and available men, but then I've only ever visited the airport, so I am for sure not able to comment on that city.

tovarich Jul 2nd, 2010 01:53 AM

Dont know about rental prices but some of my favourites would be :San Francisco and Santa Barbara.Paul

Gretchen Jul 2nd, 2010 04:52 AM

Maybe a big city ISN"T what you need--easy to meet people, good dating scene,affordable. Denver isn't a small city, but it IS spread out. It IS a young person's town. You've done the ski season there once and now are ready to leave. Maybe not invested IN the city and what you want to get out of it.
I met my husband in NYC amazingly enough, but it was because I had a cadre of friends who had friends and friends. do you have that anywhere? Not being "ugly", but it helps to have friends to tap into.
Are you "entering into" the things that might put you in contact with a group--volunteering at museums, church (don't want to get into a discussion here), working for a company large enough to give you contacts, etc.
Charlotte comes to my mind, probably because I live here. You seem to have opted out of the east coast with your choices.

annesherrod Jul 2nd, 2010 06:04 AM

My daughter lives in Dallas and the job market seems VERY good. She sees several opportunities out there in various fields.
There certainly are trendy fun places - shops, bars, restaurants,... Great shopping imo.

There are a lot of carriage houses available for rent in very nice areas of Dallas near great social areas!!and they are within your price range!
Good Luck!!

LSky Jul 2nd, 2010 07:29 AM

Gretchen has a good point. World over single people want to meet other single people. Getting out with friends makes a difference, I met my husband through a friend.
It isn't where you live, it's what you do with where you live.

MikeT Jul 2nd, 2010 09:23 AM

Not travel related. Should be in the Lounge

yk Jul 2nd, 2010 09:51 AM

I"ve lived in Dallas for several years. I think that fits your requirement, as long as you don't mind dry heat. It's very hot in the summer but winters are lovely. Lots of fun things for young people to do - lots of swanky bars for example. Plus, it's very affordable to live, and there's no state income tax for TX. I have lived most of my live in the NorthEast, and living in Dallas wasn't too much of a culture shock and the population there is quite diverse.

suze Jul 2nd, 2010 09:57 AM

I LOVE Seattle! It's exactly what you describe, except maybe for the "affordable rent" part, although certainly you can find a nice apartment in a trendy neighborhood for under $1200 (Capitol Hill) if that's your budget. And as far as the job market, depends what field you're in.

suze Jul 2nd, 2010 09:59 AM

I do agree with Beanweb's observation, Seattle is not really a "swanky wine bar" kind of city. More low-key, laid-back.