Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving from VA to Temecula/Murietta area - info (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-from-va-to-temecula-murietta-area-info-616971/)

barbiegal7 May 19th, 2006 10:23 PM

Moving from VA to Temecula/Murietta area - info

Myself and my hubby and 13 yo daughter are planning a move to the Murietta/Temecula area next spring (we're trying to get our house renovated to sell here in VA). We chose there because of the lower rental prices for homes (we don't want to buy until we're sure of the area we have chosen) and because of the excellent teen homeschool community and charter schools (one of the biggest reasons were leaving Richmond - there are others, but I don't want to offend anyone who might be from here also and who likes it!)

I have searched through the forums, but I was hoping for some more detailed info that I didn't find there. We are coming out for a "research" visit in August.

1. What communities in and around Temecula/Murietta would you recommend we take a look at?

2. What are the average monthly expenses for say a 2000 SF home (utilities, etc.) in that area?

3. This might be TOO specific of a question, but my husband is an ASE certified master technician with 10 years of automotive experience - is anyone in that field or know of anyone in that field that might know the job prospects in the area and average pay? I have my own internet-based business, so I'm good to go wherever we are (of course, I guess the costs of doing business are different there - business license fees? Anything else additional for a home-based business?)

4. What are the autmotive expenses like in that area - car insurance, personal property taxes, etc.? It's GOT to be better than L.A., though we've heard the traffic is pretty horrendous in Temecula.

5. Any other pros/cons you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them!

We know about the higher cost of living, but we feel like we pay a high cost of living here as well - just in other ways besides money!

Thank you in advance!
Barbiegal

bhi May 20th, 2006 03:23 AM

I doubt you will find anything cheaper in that area than VA. Temecula area has been booming for the last 10 years. Actually, so few people can afford to buy in southern California that there is a shortage of rental property. It is very very hot in the summer and does get quite cool in the winter. Utilities and gas prices are higher in California than VA. Check the San Diego Union-Tribune online for classifieds. Good luck.

barbiegal7 May 20th, 2006 08:45 AM

Um...yes, I do know all that, but I was hoping for specifics from someone who lived there. Actual numbers for utilities (which I know will be different from mine, of course), etc. "Higher than VA" is kind of a given. LOL!

Thanks.

Barbara May 20th, 2006 08:57 AM

You will probably get all the very specific answers you want from a real estate relocation expert in the Temecula area. Even though you're not sure exactly where you'll buy, you should consult an expert.

You won't find detailed information like that here, because it's not "travel".

k2rider May 20th, 2006 10:46 AM

I'll help with some generalities...I live in Oceanside, about 15 minutes southwest of Temecula. We pay about $80 a month for gas & electric *BUT* temecula/Murietta is much hotter and I'm sure they run their A/C alot more often up there.

Temecula used to be where people from San Diego went to live because housing in SD was out of control. Temecula has almost caught up and the nicer houses there probaly average about $550K. I would guess rent is $2000-2200. Now, people are going a lil farther north to the communities of Hemet, Wildomar and Lake Elsinore to find cheaper housing.

As far as a mechanic type job, I would guess they are all over since each city seems to have their own auto mall and all those cars need to be fixed.

OIbviously, rates vary but we pay about $1600 a year for car insurance, $650 a year for home insurance, gas is about $3.40 a gallon right now, property tax in Californis is 1.2% (I think).

jpeg May 20th, 2006 10:22 PM

barbiegal,

I can help you with your questions.

My husband and two daughters have lived in Temecula for 17 years. Ironically, we bought a house in Williamsburg, VA last year for our retirement. We are renting it out right now, but plan to move there in 7 to 10 years.

I'm curious as to how you found out about Temecula. We DO love the town. It has been a wonderful place to raise a family. But, the population growth is out of control, and shows no signs of stopping. The only real problem that has created is the traffic, which can be unbearable. Still, it is a lovely area.

Temecula is one of the original stops on the pony express and many of the original, historic buildings are still in use today, in the quaint "old town" area. Old town is very charming and has many antique shops, wine shops and a great Farmer' s Market on Saturday mornings. If you head east on Rancho California Road, you will enter the Temecula Wine Country. I beleive we have about 14 or 15 wineries, all offering wine tasting and tours. Many of them have restaurants on site, if you are interested in fine dining. There are always community sponsored events going on including the Balloon and Wine Festival in June, a big Fourth of July Parade and Christmas Parade, and jazz concerts in the park.

If you let me know what your price range is for purchasing a house, I can suggest some neighborhoods. As far as renting, it all depends on what you are looking for and what you want to be close to.

As far as utilites go, we pay about $55.00/month for gas; $70.00 for water; $48.00 for cable and $225 to $300 for electric. Electric is not typical. My husband has a home office and we have a pool. That seems to make a big difference.

Our property tax is 1 1/4% of the purchase price. This can vary depending on what neighborhood you live in, but I do believe that is the average.

Our home is 2,600 square feet and our homeowner's insurance is $1,100.00 a year. We do have a pool and we did have a water claim a few years ago, which raised our rates. I think you can probably pay no more than $800.00 a year for a 2,000 square foot home.

Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding the job market in the auto mechanic industry.

August is my very least favorite time of year. It will be hot and the hills will be brown, not the most scenic time of year, especially coming from the beautiful state of Virginia. At least it won't be humid. You really should plan several trips at differnt times of the year. Spring is spectacular, with gorgeous rolling, green hills and blue, suny skies. Winter is very mild. The nights do get cold, in the low thirties. But the days are usually in the sixties, although it can get down into the fifties. We always have some days in the seventies and eighties in the winter.

Have you always lived on the east coast? I would think you might miss the seasons, particularly the fall foliage. You also will not find the same kind of hisory, culture or architecture that you have an the east coast. However, the weather can not be beat.

I would love to hear your reasons for leaving Virginia. We have been there several tuimes and just fell in love with Williamsburg. I know that visiting an area is not the same as living there. Any advice you can offer?