Search

Trip to New York City

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to New York City

Hi,
My sister and I are planning a trip this October with my niece and her best friend to celebrate their college graduations. I am interested in taking them to an urban trendy luxury hotel. This is our first trip to NYC and of course we want to do the typical things: walk across the Brooklyn bridge, Central Park, St. Patrick's Cathedral Sunday morning Mass, a Broadway show, and the Statue of Liberty. We would also like to visit a "real" neighborhood area. I would really like some suggestions regarding the best places and areas to stay. I have looked into Ink 48 in Hell's Kitchen but am wondering about the pros and cons of this area/ hotel if anyone would be so kind to share. Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:23 PM

I can't comment on hotels - there are so many and we have used VRBO in the past with great results and much less expensive. What I can whole heartedly recommend is hooking up with Big Apple Greeters - they are a volunteer organization that does tours of the 5 bouroughs of NYC. I have had 3 tours with them and they were awesome.....they don't expect or accept $$$ but taking your guide for lunch is recommended. They have a great website and you can choose your tour from there. Good luck
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM

There are so many great options for "urban, trendy, luxury" hotels in NYC.

What is your budget? I assume it is around $500 a night before taxes and fees, since that is what Ink 48 is going to cost in October. Is that right?
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Also assume you need two large (queen beds)? I can't imagine paying $600 a night after taxes and fees for 4 people without having at least 2 queen beds
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I love Kimpton hotels and I think Ink 48 would be a good choice. It's Midtown, although a bit off to the side but the hotel would be nice and the rooftop bar would be very nice.

When you said trendy, this was what came to mind -
http://www.gansevoorthotelgroup.com/...atpacking-nyc/
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Yes my budget is in the $500 to $700 per night price range. I am just trying to make sure that the Hell's Kitchen area is convenient enought to the major attractions and that this would give us all a good New York experience. Thoughts?
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:54 PM

How are you planning to travel around? Mostly cabs? Subways? Buses? It's in Midtown and close to the theater district but it's on the river so three long blocks to the more populated area of restaurants, etc. and those blocks are uphill (slightly). If you are using subway, you have those blocks to walk back and forth. If you are using cabs, it's not a concern. The area is fine.

If you want to look at another option closer to restaurants, shows, and the subway look at the Kimpton's The Muse. I stayed there and loved it.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

We plan on using cabs mostly and occasionally the subway. What I am really attracted to about Ink 48 is the views from the rooftop bar as well as the rooms but I would definitely be interested to hear other options with those same attractions that in area closer to main attractions. I will check out the Muse.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM

The rooms at the Muse should be comparable. The Muse does not have a rooftop bar.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM

There is no one place in Manhattan convenient to all major sights. They are spread out over an area 8 miles long, 2 miles wide and islands in the harbor. As long as you are near a subway you will have easy access to the whole city.

Hell's kitchen has a ton of interesting inexpensive restaurants of a large variety of ethnicities and is not too far from midtown west sights. But most major museums and Central Park are uptown, other sights are on the east and downtown. SoL and Ellis Island (brilliant) are on islands in the harbor (obviously). Also some interesting/trendy neighborhoods you might want to see (Chelsea, SoHo, East village etc) are downtown.

Don;t know the specific hotel so can;t comment - but that's not the area I would choose for trendy.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Wow it is all really confusing. I am definitely interested in staying somewhere that is away from the Times Square area but I want to stay somewhere with great views and that has a " neighborhoody"feel. I can't decide between Hell'sKitchen, Chelsea or the West village areas.I am worried that Ink 24 may not have enough conveniences and am worried about what is around it- yes i am a "worry wart"! - Ha! But i only want this trip to be special for my niece and her friend. And I do know the further out you go the better the views are(or so I have heard). It seems I am more confused than ever.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 05:52 PM

I'm not sure what views you are anticipating. Most of the time, the view will be of another building. If you want a neighborhood feel, then choose the village - but there aren't a lot of hotels there. Chelsea will be fine, but not a lot of views there either.

Tell us more about what you expect re "views".

Here's a real splurge if you want to pay for stellar views -
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/newyork/accommodation/
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 07:28 PM

New Yorker hotel near Penn station has good views from most rooms on upper floors (either of the city or river) but not the neighborhood feel you seem to want. If you want a great view, I'd focus on that, plus getting something on the 1 or 6 subway lines - most place yo will likely want to go are on those lines.

I am not sure you will find a hotel in Chelsea or W Village with great views. in Chelsea maybe check on the Hotel Indigo.

Views :

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...est:31382.html
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Also the Standard in Chelsea, for views
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 07:33 PM

http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/...s-in-new-york/
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 08:37 PM

What about the W Hotel in Union Square?
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM

I'm still wondering what kind of views she's interested in.
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:04 PM

This is a case where the OP would do well to read the "Destinations" section here on Fodors, as editors list their favorite hotels. Or get a good guidebook. Then post back here the hotels that seemed most intriguing to get feedback on them or similar hotels not in the guidebook.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I have not decided on a hotel just yet but your posts have helped me narrow it down.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:20 AM

There arent many trendy hotels with comfortable sleeping for 4 adults in one space imo. Ink48 doesnt have rooms with double queen beds. The best you'll fo is a suite with a king bed and a sofabed. The Eventi, another Kimpton hotel, does have 2 queen bed rooms. More convenient location than Ink48, but not particulalrly trendy area. Hells Kitchen is better for dining but the Ink48 is far feom the nearest subway stop.

The village, Soho and the lower esat side are the best areas for what you want, but the hotels in these areas at best have some double double rooms. I think you either need to get 2 rooms, share double beds or get a comfortable suite in a less trendy area. The Pearl is newish, modern and has double wueen rooms and suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -