Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving from London to Portland - house/apt rental situation?

Jul 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have always wanted to live in Portland and are going to take a chance and arrive this autumn, even though we have never been there (we love the Pacific Northwest and have heard great things.) It feels a bit nerve wracking, especially coming all the way from London (we are American). My question is, what is the current house rental situation in Portland like? I mean, are there plenty of houses that could be rented for a reasonable price ($1,200 to $1,400?) What is the rental market like there in general right now? After living in a tiny flat in London for 3 years, I have a fantasy about renting a 1 or 2 bedroom house somewhere in the Portland area (I need space and a few dogs.) Will it be difficult to find something pleasant and reasonably located (not expecting glorious Pearl district etc.) within 3 months time?
Jul 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM

My daughter lives in Portland and I visit as often as I can. I love Portland. I think you have made a great choice - the cost of living is affordable especially compared to London.

It really depends on your personality. Do you like living in a suburban area, newer houses, outside of Portland,-- or do you like the urban feel of Portland? Most people like Portland because of the great restaurants, ability to use free or low cost public transportation, the concern for a green and sustainable living environment, etc.
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM

Helllooo ebacher! Welcome to Portland. I'm sure you can find a good rental home for the prices you quote. Craigslist probably is your best bet. I live out in the suburb of Beaverton, which you might like for its green space. If you rent a home near the MAX light rail, you can park your car at a park and ride, then travel downtown. If you can handle the tube, you can handle our public transit system.

http://www.trimet.org (bus/lightrail/streetcar)

http://www.travelportland.com (the tourism bureau, located at Pioneer Courthouse Square downtown)

You might post this on the U.S. message boards, so Oregonians can see your query.
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Oh, I guess it *is* on the U.S. board. That's what happens when your heart is in two homes.
Jul 31st, 2009, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the info., I am excited!
Dec 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM

I feel so fortunate to be reading this because I have always wanted to Live in London! I have lived in Portland for 15 years and I am ready for a change. Do you rent or own your flat? Would you be interested in a home swap? I own a 2 story townhouse that is 1200sf. It has recently been repainted and recarpeted with all new appliances. I would love to find a renter or someone interested in a home swap from London.

I live in Multnomah Village, about a 10 minute commute to downtown. The address is near SW Multnomah Blvd and SW 51st, 97219 if you want to Google it. Wow, this is exciting! Lets talk!

Charles
Dec 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Time for my regular website plug. ebacher, I have lots of photos and Portland neighborhood info on my Portland-themed website:

http://www.PortlandBridges.com

and click on the icon for the Neighborhoods Guide.

The rental market in Portland has gotten softer in the last year especially since Oregon has (still?) the second-highest unemployment rate in the US (look out, Michigan, we're catching up to you!). I see "for rent" signs all over the place in my NE Portland neighborhood. Craigslist is a good search site but it can be frustrating sometimes. My site has a listing of local property management companies you can contact or check their listings.
Dec 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM

I assume everyone is talking Portland Oregon and not Portland Maine?
Dec 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Never mind, I see Northwest now. sorry
Dec 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM

The thread was tagged as "Oregon" and not "Maine."
Dec 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM

too bad ebscher never checked back in.
Dec 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Cole - can't do a house swap because we have given up our place as of Jan 30th. Wish we could have worked it out! We will be coming to Portland in Mid-February now and are going to have to look for places to live once we arrive, since trying to do it ahead of time is too tricky and people on Craig's feel a bit suspicious when we say we live out of the country (as they should because of scams.)
Thanks Andrew for your site. I am going there now! If anyone has any leads on a house to rent that is at or below 1,300 a month in NW Portland (or other good area) please let me know!