Moving - Atlanta, Tampa or Austin, TX???

Old Jul 14th, 1998, 09:44 AM
hunter

Moving - Atlanta, Tampa or Austin, TX???

Thinking about moving in the next year. We want to live in a fairly decent sized city that has a lot to do in the entertainment and arts. We also want to live close to the coast (within 4 hour drive). Looking for opinions about Atlanta, Tampa or Austin, TX. Thanks!!

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 07:48 PM
Theresa

You might give Austin a shot. I moved to Austin 6 years ago and like most people who move here, have decided to stay. Austin has a fabulous live music scene, great parks, nice greens and a very accepting attitude. The only coast is about 5 hours south-- Padre Island, not bad, but it's not California or Florida. The attitude is laid-back, happy and well-informed.

Good luck.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 10:55 AM
becca

Austin is definitely worth looking into! My sister moved there a year ago and absolutely loves it. I have been many times and it is a beautiful, laid-back city. The outdoor activities available and attitude are unbeatable. If you have any questions, feel free to email!

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 02:22 PM
wes fowler

I would not consider Atlanta if I were you. Traffic and air pollution are abominable. Atlanta is the only city in the US that has three major interstate highways converging in the middle of the city. A 20 mile commute can take two hours and often does. Public transportation leaves a great deal to be desired. Downtown Atlanta rolls up the sidewalks at night. Mismanagement of the city and its resources over the years has caused heavy fines for pollution of the Chattahoochee River that taxpayers are stuck with. The city's infrastructure (sewers, roads) are deteriorated or deteriorating badly.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 03:18 PM
Kitty

I've never been to Austin..

I've visited Atlanta and have friends who like living there. They like all the concerts and various things to do there. He is a computer programmer and found it easy to get a job ( for what that is worth). They do think that the cost of living is high though.

I live in the Tampa area and I love it! There is always something going on like concerts, plays and sports events. There are various theaters and concert halls The beaches are wonderful. Lots of boating opportunities. As far as I know the job market is very good- I have been at the same job for 8 years so all I know is that is what my friends say..
Orlando is an hour away. Sarasota is an hour away. Sarasota has the Ringling Art School and the Ringling Museum and botanical gardens.
From your email address can I take it that you live in North Carolina? If so, you may need to get used to the humidity here. And we haven't gotten hit by the hurricanes the way the east coast and the rest of the Gulf coast has been hit.
All I can say is that I love living in this area.

You may want to check out www.homefair.com They have an area that compares the cost of living of any city based on your present salary and where you live now. There is another area that you can put in the things that you are looking for in a city and find a match to what you want. I had a blast doing that.

Good luck!
Kitty

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 08:30 PM
Whitney

I have never been to Atlanta or Tampa - all I can tell you about is Austin.

I've lived in Dallas all my life and have visited Austin several times. I don't know what you think of Texas, but everyone here seems to LOVE Austin. No one ever wants to leave there. It is a beautiful city, with trees and lakes and parks everywhere you go. It is the capitol of Texas, with much history and pride. It is known as the live music capitol of the world, if that interests you. It is a large city, but not too large for some like Houston or Dallas might be. It is home to the University of Texas, one of the best universities in the state and the country. It has nearly 50,000 students, a great football team, and a lot of support from the community. Austin has a great arts scene; it seems very devoted to the arts including theatre, opera, film, music, and fine arts.
Texas has beautiful beaches, the most popular being those at Galveston, Corpus Christi, and South Padre Island.
Some thoughts about Texas:
*It is a Southern state, by all means. Some say it is more Western. If you are not used to this, it might not seem like home to you.
*It is very hot in Texas. This summer it has been about 102 degrees every day. And it's humid.
*It is a long drive to anywhere from Texas. A drive to New Orleans from Dallas is 8 hours. Dallas to Albuquerque is 12. And those are neighboring states.

Hope I've been helpful! Good luck!

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 04:36 PM
amy

You couldn't ask for a better city than Austin!
I'm a graduate of the University of texas and like most of my fellow texas-exes, have been itching to move back ever since graduation. The only thing that doesn't match your criteria is the proximity to the beach (although Corpus Christi may fall into your 4 hour requirement,i'm not sure. South Padre is a much nicer beach though)...but there are a couple of lakes in the area (not to mention the natural springs of Hamilton's Pool and Barton Springs among others). The summers are very hot,but we enjoy a nice fall,mild winter and fabulous spring. Austin is also very centrally located in Texas and close (by texas standards)to most of the major cities in Texas (1 hour to San Antonio,
2 1/2 to Houston,3 to dallas...)
The restaurants,the nightlife,the live music,the arts-there is always plenty to do. I'd recommend it highly.

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 08:05 PM
RACHEL

PERHAPS I CAN HELP...
ALTHOUGH I LIVED IN ATLANTA FOR ABOUT 12 YRS., I CANNOT BADMOUTH IT. I DID LOVE IT ALOT. THERE IS SO MUCH HISTORY THERE, AND IT WOULD TAKE YOU A HUNDRED YEARS TO EXPERIENCE ALL OF THE CULTURE.
THE CLIMATE IS IDEAL AND IT IS ABIT HIGH ON THE COST OF LIVING. ESPECIALLY
IF YOU WANT TO LIVE IN THE NICER PARTS OF THE CITY.
TAMPA IS BEATIFUL TOO, BUT ONLY MOVE THERE IF YOU ARE RETIRED OR ARE PLANNING TO VERY SHORTLY.
TEXAS ON THE OTHER HAND, IS A FABULOUS
PLACE TO LIVE. I LIVE AN HOUR SOUTH OF AUSTIN (IN SAN ANTONIO), BUT WE TRAVEL TO AUSTIN ALOT. THE CITY IS GROWING BY THE DAY. THE HILL-COUNTRY IN TEXAS IS BEAUTIFUL. TONS OF TEXAN CULTURE, AND
TRUST ME, WE DON'T ALL WEAR COWBOY HATS AND RIDE A HORSE. ALTHOUGH YOU CAN IF YOU WANT TO.
I WAS BORN IN TEXAS
MOVED AWAY FOR AWHILE
AND NOW I'M -BACK FOR GOOD

I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!
RACHEL

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:29 PM
Bill

Hi. It seems that the hot spot people are telling you about is Austin. Now I have been to all three of the cities and my favorite is Atlanta. Austin is nice. There is quite a bit to do. It is rather far from the coast however. And in a way this is very bad because in the summer Austin is sweltering hot. Tampa is nice also. It is more of a retirement community, however, with a high elderly population. It is warm year round. Tampa is also more laid back. Now Atlanta--This is my favorite of the three cities. It is true that the traffic can be horendous but in what large city is it not. Th city itself also has a very clean(and limited)rapid rail system. It will get you around the most interesting neighnorhoods including Buckhead and Downtown in a safe, relaxing way. Atlanta can be a costly city to live in but overall it is not too bad. You can find many nice places to live for a small price. Atlanta has a great climate with 4 seasons. It is never too hot or too cold. Atlanta is also close to the mountains so there are many peaceful getaways within a close proximity to the city limits. Atlanta is also close to the coast. Just a few hours away to be more precise. This city is also in a very good location. Just a couple of hours flight to the big cities of the Northeast. So if you are a business traveler it is also a good bet. As you can see I thoroughly recommend Atlanta, Georgia!

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:58 PM
Bob Brown

I have lived near Atlanta for 32 years and have enjoyed many of the cultural aspects of the city, particularly the Alliance Theater, the Shakespeare Festival at Oglethorpe U, and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, although the passing the great Robert Shaw may hurt the chorus over time. Atlanta is is so huge that you can find a nice place to live, although it may be in a far-out suburb. My son lives north of the City of Atlanta in east Cobb County, one of 5 counties that make up the inner metropolitan area.
(The city is expanding, so 5 may not be enough counties to include in the count anymore.) And to reach his house I have to drive through all sorts of residential areas with houses that run from the low $100,000 range to the $500,000 range. So when one says "Atlanta", it includes a widely diverse metropolitan area. Atlanta is about 4 hours from the coast, perhaps a little more depending upon where you go.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 08:07 PM
Marcia

So Hunter, the suspense is killing me. Since your original question was posted almost a year ago, where did you wind up?

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 07:59 PM
Julie

Another vote for Austin......very biased since I've lived here all my life!

I agree with all the above posts (about Austin). It does get very, very hot here.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Good luck with your decision and your upcoming travels!

-Julie

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 08:28 AM
lisa

I have spent time in all three and Austin would definitely be my first choice, followed by Tampa, and then Atlanta. In terms of Austin's disadvantages, in addition to the ones discussed above (high heat in summer and distance to the ocean), I would also add that if you like to travel a lot, airfares in and out of Austin tend to be pretty high, making it less accessible than Atlanta or Tampa (in my opinion). However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Another consideration is that the housing market is pretty tight because of all the growth, but that's true of lots of other cities too.