Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Moving (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/moving-249901/)

Chris Aug 15th, 2002 09:47 AM

Moving

After months of trying to get a new job, I get three offers all at one time! Now I have decide where I want to live. I'll be moving from England so distance really doesn't matter. The cities are: Boise, Spokane, or a couple small towns in Montana. I would greatly appreciate if you could comment on these locations. I'll be moving with my husband, 16 year old daughter and 6 year old son.<BR>Thank you

Jess Aug 15th, 2002 09:58 AM

Wait for some better offers! Those are all horrible places. I grew up in Spokane and wouldn't wish moving there on my worst enemy!

x Aug 15th, 2002 10:00 AM

Rednecks and other irritating people can be found ANYWHERE. <BR><BR>I'm sure all your options have their pros and cons. Your 6 year old son will adjust no matter where you go and call it home fairly quickly. THe questions to ask yourself would concern your husband and 16 year old daughter. What are your husband's skills/hobbies? What will he be able to do in the various locations? Your daughter will be an adult soon and able to leave home. My biggest concern would be the small towns in Montana. How close are they to a larger city? I would hate to have my child dislike my town so much that she would move so far away that I wouldn't be able to see her often. Of course, that could happen with college anyway.

Ken Aug 15th, 2002 10:26 AM

They all sound like nice choices. Montana and Idaho both have beautiful areas!!! I've spent lots of time in both these areas and they're both nice states with lots of outdoor activities and good places to raise a family. I'm not familiar with Spokane though?? Ken

Sinbad Aug 15th, 2002 11:27 AM

Why would you move from England? Great culture, location, and living conditions!

curious Aug 15th, 2002 11:32 AM

What are the towns in Montana?

IAgree Aug 15th, 2002 12:19 PM

I agree with Jess. See if you can hold out for somewhere else. Not the greatest climates.

x Aug 15th, 2002 12:23 PM

You would move your kids from England to Boise, Spokane or Montana??? Are you nuts??? I'd stay in England before I moved to any of those tacky places.

Jen Aug 15th, 2002 01:03 PM

I can't really offer you any specific advice about which area to pick, but I would try to pick an area close to a fairly large airport (unless you don't want to travel back to England very often) so I guess I would rule out the small cities in Montana.<BR><BR>Also, formal education in the U.S. starts one year later than it does in England so your son is likely to be ahead of his same age peers. The education options in each area when making your choice. There can be a considerable difference between the quality of one school system to the next in the next.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Beenthere Aug 15th, 2002 01:07 PM

I suspect that those who wonder why one is moving from England have never lived there.<BR><BR>There are aspects of British life that are unsurpassed anywhere in the world.<BR><BR>But there are/can be a lot of downsides to English life that get little publicity. <BR><BR>With an awful lot of money--a WHOLE lot--one can live quite well there. But an average middle-class American has a standard of living that is considerably better than the comparable English person.<BR><BR>

Lyle Aug 15th, 2002 11:00 PM

All of you have been DUPED! This is NOT a legitimate posting at all! (But responses were interesting just the same!)

why Aug 16th, 2002 04:19 AM

I am curious as to why you think this? Are you really "Chris?"

Chris Aug 16th, 2002 10:30 AM

Why on earth would this not be a legitimate posting. Is it unrealistic to you that someone would move to the States from the U.K.? I have always found people on the this site very helpful, though have never been in the United States Forum, I should hate to think that I am moving my family to a country filled with rude, untrusting people. Thank you to all that responded. I have narrowed it down to either Spokane or Boise and would appreciate from anyone who had lived in either of these cities from just some comments on daily life (activities, is the city more white/blue collar, attitudes towards different issues, life for children, etc)- I have done much reserch, but unfortunately there is little on these cities. Thank you very much.<BR>Christanna

x Aug 16th, 2002 10:39 AM

Chris, as anywhere else, you will just have to ignore the people who snide, snotty, and petty minded. Too many of them like to post here. Welcome to the States.<BR><BR>Will you have the opportunity to visit either city before you have to make up your mind? Again, I ask about the career opportunities/skills/hobbies of your husband. If he's not happy, it will your life more difficult. The same questions could apply to your daughter. I'm sure both cities have internet sites you can check out. Also do a search on the city plus various specific interests. You would probably get someone's e-mail address that should be delighted to give you more specific information.

Mrs J. Aug 16th, 2002 12:38 PM

I participated in a cross-America bicycle trip 3 years ago. We rode through Spokane, and one of our group witnessed a murder. We spent 10 days through Montana, and every town was welcoming, and nice, just like a small town should be. Boise was OK. Some places in Idaho have white-supremacist factions, and I think should be avoided. If you are looking for big-city life, none of these towns are for you.

Wendy Aug 16th, 2002 02:23 PM

Chris, I grew up in Spokane and moved the day after high school. I never go back. IMO it is very depressed economically and culturaly (bad sp. sorry!). I just had friends stay with me this weekend from there and they agree. They feel trapped by their low paying jobs. This is not to put you off as many people love Spokane but it is my opinion. At least it's only a 4 1/2 hour drive to Seattle! ;)

Lyle Aug 17th, 2002 12:48 AM

Well, Chris, you said -- and I quote --"I should hate to think that I am moving my family to a country filled with rude, untrusting people." And there aren't any rude, untrusting -- and VERY COLD people -- in England?!? PLEASE!!!