Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Move to San Diego??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/move-to-san-diego-308971/)

Leslee Apr 20th, 2003 09:26 PM

Move to San Diego???

This may seem an odd topic for a travel board, but here goes: We've been considering a move to the San Diego area but remain undecided. Anyone with feedback on this? We live in Memphis (not such a great place, but easy and very affordable). Our move would be strictly a personal choice and paid for by us. We have also vacillated between coastal and inland...??? Either way, we love SD and will continue to visit. Thanks.

EmilySD Apr 21st, 2003 10:03 AM

We have lived here for almost 6 yrs from Cincinnati, and absolutely love it! That said, the housing costs are very high and continue to climb. We live No Cty Inland, Rancho Penasquitos, a very nice, quiet, small suburb. In 5 yrs our 3br, 2ba, 1500 sq ft home has gone up in value from $225K-$375K. I would do a lot of research to be sure you have a job and could afford living here, before committing. (JMHO) Happy Planning!!

jack_ie Apr 21st, 2003 01:40 PM

Hi Leslee and EmilySD!<BR><BR>I noticed your post because I have been involved in a very intensive research project for over a year now to determine my perfect place to live. Starting with approximately 115 candidates, I have narrowed it down to 7 or 8 finalists.<BR><BR>San Diego started out as my front runner and has, for all practical purposes, fallen out of contention due to the ridiculously high cost of living,what appears to be a significant air pollution problem, and rush hour traffic nightmares. <BR><BR>Now I should mention here that I have not yet actually visited San Diego. I was trying to narrow my choices down as much as possible before reaching that inevitable point of having to visit each finalist to really make a final decision.<BR><BR>If you have paid an extended visit and like it, then I would not discourage you whatsoever. On the other hand, I was hoping someone out there would offer some info to revive my initial excitement about San Diego! LOL! <BR><BR>Please! Somebody tell me that I won't mind living with 27 other people in a basement and eating bread and water so I can pay my rent! Tell me that even with my mild respiratory problems, I'll thrive, despite the air pollution! Tell me that I can get used to getting up 2 or 3 hours early for a morning rush hour commute!<BR><BR>Ah well, there are inevitably prices to be paid, if ya wanna live in a happenin' place, right? :)<BR><BR>Here's to the good life!<BR><BR>jack_ie

Barbara Apr 21st, 2003 02:14 PM

jack_ie, San Diego is very expensive, however, there is no significant air pollution problem. That doesn't mean the air is crystal clear, just that it's not a big problem. Rush hour traffic can be bad, but every big city has bad rush hour traffic. Obviously, it depends where you live and where you work. I don't know anyone who has a two to three hour commute, unless they live in San Diego and work in Los Angeles.<BR><BR>Just out of curiosity, why did San Diego start out as your front runner, especially as you have never visited?

JAK Apr 21st, 2003 02:20 PM

jack_ie,<BR>If you don't mind sharing, I would love to read your list of finalists.

rjw_lgb_ca Apr 21st, 2003 03:18 PM

My feeling is: If the place is worth settling there, you will find the means to afford the cost of living.<BR><BR>San Diego, like all of Southern California (I live up the coast in Long Beach), does have high housing costs, as well as high gasoline costs. Traffic can be bad. BUT, the wonderful weather means you will save on heating and air conditioning costs. The whole region has millions of great things to do, incredible restaurants, great shopping, theatre, etc. If you like cooking, our fresh produce is grown locally and available year-round.<BR><BR>jack_le, without visiting the places you've got on your short list, you could end up making a horrible mistake. San Diego is a wonderful town and incredibly livable. And it's a great place to visit.

J_Correa Apr 21st, 2003 03:29 PM

My husband and I visited San Deigo for the first time in February. Even though it rained while we were there and was cloudy most of the time, we fell in love with the city. If I were looking for a place to relocate, I'd definitely consider it.

ChefToly Apr 21st, 2003 03:38 PM

I lived in San Diego for 20 years and never really considered leaving UNTIL I was laid off from my job and my husband's business suffered a 75% decline in revenues due to the downtown in the economy (like everyone/everything else).<BR><BR>We started talking about relocation and had many places on our initial list. After a visit and some job interviews (and ultimately offers), we relocated to the Seattle area. It was a huge change and although it hasn't been perfect, we've grown to love this area and (don't laugh) really don't miss San Diego all that much, although I'd kill at times for a Carne Asada burrito from Roberto's.<BR><BR>Because of high housing costs, we were forced to live inland in San Diego and despite the post above, had VERY high air-conditioning bills and high electricity bills in winter as well. (Remember the whole energy crisis?).<BR><BR>Where you live is such a personal thing and I always look forward to visiting San Diego, but we're very happy with Seattle -- still &quot;city&quot; enough for us and so beautiful -- I don't even mind the rain.

rjw_lgb_ca Apr 21st, 2003 03:53 PM

If you live inland in coastal California cities, yes, you will spend some money on A/C. But I live four blocks from the ocean (Long Beach's housing costs are much lower than the rest of the area), and I find A/C unpleasant, so I've never run my air conditioner once. Nor did I run my heater in winter; my sweats and long-sleeve knits were very helpful there.<BR><BR>Seattle is one place I've never been that is on my &quot;Must Visit&quot; list. Housing costs are still reasonable? That's great to hear. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. Still, I'm quite blissfully happy down here in Southern California....

ChefToly Apr 21st, 2003 03:56 PM

We live on the &quot;Eastside&quot; which is a suburb to Seattle. We live on a lake with our own boat dock and view of Mt. Rainier -- it's really beautiful. Depending on where you go, I would say that housing is just a bit cheaper than San Diego. Although we don't live at the &quot;beach&quot; waterfront housing is still expensive, but not quite as bad as in San Diego. We'd never be able to touch a waterfront property in So. Cal for under a million.

kreinestja Apr 21st, 2003 06:28 PM

ttt

deirdres Apr 21st, 2003 08:29 PM

Leslee: I'm practically a native--I've lived here since 1971. If you're vacillating between inland and coast--$$ will determine your choice. Beach property: can't really get anything but a shack for $750,000 (literally a shack--which you tear down and build new). If you do buy a home here--your investment will do nothing be appreciate--and quicky compared to other areas. Regarding traffic: my husband's commute has remained a decent 30 minutes for the 19 years. Hideous traffic is an LA problem. If you have kids, you want them in Poway Unified School District--it's nationally recognized as one of the best. Hope that helps!

LaurenSKahn Apr 21st, 2003 09:36 PM

I just got back from a one week home exchange in Long Beach, CA. I did not get down to San Diego. Ya gotta leave something for next time!<BR><BR>I did like Long Beach. Of course, I stayed in a super condo right on the beach. Home exchange can be wonderful at times! I liked it so much we are re-exchanging for Christmas (the other exchangers are retired and have grandchildren in the area where I live). I did notice the lack of insulation and the fact that the building, which is older, did not have A/C. I was told it was not needed due to the ocean breezes.<BR><BR>I had no idea about all the oil drilling in Southern California though. I sure found out with those &quot;grasshoppers&quot; all over.<BR><BR>The area has a lot to offer. Since I was just visiting, I did not inquire as to housing prices. I did, however, notice the gas prices!

Leslee Apr 21st, 2003 10:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. We've visited numerous times and seriously considered Bonsall. We've just had to put the decision &quot;on hold&quot; for the time being, but we're still considering the move. We're fortunate in not having to drive/commute during rush hour so traffic doesn't worry me too much. It's good to hear that most people there enjoy it.<BR>ChefToly - our friends are moving to Seattle soon (Starbucks). Any must have info I should share with them?

ChefToly Apr 22nd, 2003 12:44 PM

Ah, Starbucks -- my favorite place! I was SO excited to find that they had drive-thru Starbucks in the Seattle area -- very cool.<BR><BR>We've been here 18 months and still are exploring new areas. There's plenty to do and see here. We were fortunate that we picked an area of town to live in that turned out to be perfect for us -- we feel we got really lucky in that regard.<BR><BR>The one thing I can see is that you sure appreciate the weather -- in San Diego, it's almost always nice (and hot) so it really doesn't affect your daily routine much -- in Seattle, a beautiful day prompts you to do so much more with your time -- hiking, camping, bike riding, etc. For some reason, I'm so much more active here than I was in San Diego -- kind of weird, huh?<BR><BR>My grandparents were from Fallbrook, which is kind of near Bonsall -- it's beautiful in that area, although because it's inland, quite a bit hotter. They loved living there.

og719 Apr 24th, 2003 04:55 AM

For ChefToly, we're going to San Diego the end of May and I'm already figuring out which Roberto's is closest to the rental car company (probably the OB store) so I can go straight there and get some rolled tacos with guacamole...and maybe a machaca burrito.

ChefToly Apr 24th, 2003 01:20 PM

I would kill for some Roberto's -- I'm SO jealous!

You would think that SOMEBODY would replicate their food in Seattle -- it really can't be that difficult!

I'm determined to have some Roberto's soon - I still have a sister in San Diego whom I've seen a few times over the last several months; of course, she seems to always fly on the early flights -- 6:30 a.m. and that's too early to grab some Roberto's on her way to the airport for my ready hands!

Hey, maybe that's my secret to success in Seattle; open up some Roberto's locations! Anybody want to be my partner?

ChefToly Apr 24th, 2003 01:21 PM

og719 - I meant to tell you that it was always a toss up for me -- Carne Asada Burrito OR Rolled Tacos OR a terrific Quesadilla. LOVE their food. Great hot sauce too!