Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mountain vacation in September (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mountain-vacation-in-september-194997/)

Teddy Apr 9th, 2002 11:21 AM

Mountain vacation in September

I'm planning a week long vacation in September, and we'd like to go to the mountains somewhere in the west. We are primarily interested in hiking and spending some time in nature. We'd like to be near a town (it doesn't have to be big, just has to have a restaurant or two and a grocery store), and preferably within a 3-4 hour drive of a major airport since we'll be flying in. National parks / areas of interest within driving distance would also be a plus, if possible. We're hoping to rent a condo or rental house with a view, for two adults (no kids). We're open to just about anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. Suggestions? Thanks so much for any help.

September Apr 9th, 2002 11:37 AM

So many great places come to mind, I couldn't begin to choose a place for you. North Cascades NP, Bend, OR, Zion NP, Byrce NP, Big Sur, coastal Oregon etc. etc.<BR><BR>Many resort areas and especially ski areas rent condos and you're really traveling at a time for good prices.<BR><BR>

GP Apr 9th, 2002 12:04 PM

Fly into Sacramento head to the Sierra Nevada, Lake Tahoe or Gold Lakes basin, Truckee ect.

Bob Brown Apr 9th, 2002 01:24 PM

How about the Colorado Rockies??<BR>Rocky Mountain National Park and Ouray are two places that come instantly to mind. Also the Tetons in Wyoming.<BR>

Utahtea Apr 9th, 2002 02:24 PM

Fly into the San Francisco Bay area and go to Yosemite National Park which is 4 hours away. Stay in Yosemite Village which has all the ammenties.<BR><BR>Utahtea

suzanne Apr 9th, 2002 02:33 PM

Rocky Mountain National Park fits your requirements very well. There is a small town on each end - Estes Park on the east and Grand Lake on the west. It is absolutely gorgeous in September, as the aspens all turn a bright shade of yellow! The Denver International Airport is (I'm guessing here) roughly 2 hours from Estes Park. Good luck!<BR><BR>PS Bryce in September is great too...but it is close to 5 hours from a major airport, and there is no real town or rental condos anywhere in the area.

Teddy Apr 9th, 2002 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've spent my life on the east coast and in the mid-west, so when I think of mountains I think of the Rockies - I'm just not that familiar with any other mountains in the west. I appreciate all of the alternative suggestions and I will check them out. I am also very interested in Rocky Mountain National Park, so Estes Park and Grand Lake sound interesting. I'm looking for a place where I can feel like I'm really in the mountains - I have to escape the flatness of Chicago, at least for a week!

travellyn Apr 9th, 2002 02:56 PM

Ouray and Silverton, Colorado would both fit the bill. Leadville, Lake City and Creede are 3 other good Colorado options.<BR><BR>United Express and Continental fly into Durango; I think American flies into Montrose. Colorado Springs would be within 4 hours of a couple of these towns as well.

lagirl Apr 9th, 2002 03:14 PM

What about Whistler? Fly into Vancouver, BC and then it's only a 2 hour drive up to Whistler. There's a cute village with great stores and restaurants, lots of condos to rent and amazing hiking, biking and lakes (for swimming, sailing, kayaking, etc.)And you can't beat the exchange rate!

Utahtea Apr 9th, 2002 03:43 PM

If you really want to feel like you are in the Mountains go to Jasper and Banff National Parks in Canada. These are the Canadian Rockies and I think better than our American Rockies. The Ice Field Parkway puts you right dab in the middle. Mountains & glaciers on all sides of you. Calagery is near by to fly in & out of.<BR><BR>BTW, Yosemite (which I mentioned earlier) is in the Sierra Mountains which are another beatiful mountain range on the west coast.<BR><BR>Utahtea

Glenda Apr 9th, 2002 08:20 PM

There are so many votes for the Rockies that I thought I would put in another one for the Cascades in Oregon and Washington. I think you will find a more spectacular wilderness there than in the Rockies which are pretty well populated with resort areas. If you want wild thought within a couple of hours of major cities go for the Cascades. And if you like you're only a couple of hours from the fantastic Northwest Pacific Coast!

Glenda Apr 9th, 2002 08:21 PM

There are so many votes for the Rockies that I thought I would put in another one for the Cascades in Oregon and Washington. I think you will find a more spectacular wilderness there than in the Rockies which are pretty well populated with resort areas. If you want wild though within a couple of hours of major cities go for the Cascades. And if you like you're only a couple of hours from the fantastic Northwest Pacific Coast!

Dayle Apr 9th, 2002 09:18 PM

Hi Teddy! Another vote here for the Tetons! One of the most beautiful places on earth. 4 1/2 hour beautiful drive from SLC, or just fly into Jackson. Plenty of rental condos, or if you like SUPER lux, the Amanjani HOtel. All the hiking you can stand, kayaking or canoeing on the lakes, & not crowded after Labor Day w/e. Killer restaurants, galleries, shopping if you choose. Pleasant days, cool nights, start of fall colors. Yellowstone 1 hr drive north.

Dayle Apr 9th, 2002 09:20 PM

PS - the San Juan mountains of Colorado are equally fantastic. Hard to beat the Durango, Ouray, Telluride loop!

x Apr 9th, 2002 09:42 PM

Consider Mt. Rainier, Washington. Actually, if you were to stay in or near the towns of Packwood or Randle, Washington you would be within a short drive to Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens (the north side of St. Helens which has hiking trails seldom visited by the tourists who are mostly on the west side of the mountain.) The trails through the volcano's blast zone is like nowhere else in N.A. In Mt. Rainier National Park you can walk to glaciers, through old growth forests with trees bigger than any you can find in the Rockies. Mt. Rainier really is more beautiful than its picture.