Seeking help on a short trip to New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:52 AM
NE

Hello everybody.

I'm looking at going on a short trip somewhere in New England. I know the choices are endless but would like to hear from others who have travelled to this area. I'm coming from NYC and am interested in a place with good countryside, hikes, ocean, and excellent food. Please advise. I'm just looking for a starting point and then can be more specific. Thanks again.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Leslie

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park in Maine, at least for quaintness, hiking, and vistas.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:05 PM
ma

Any places to suggest in Massachusettes?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
xxx

Yeah MaMa
I know of a great place you might want to visit in Mass.
Place called Beantown or also known as Boston. I think you can actually fly into the town itself.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Leslie

In Massachusetts, you might want to go up to Cape Ann (Rockport and Gloucester), Cape Cod, the Berkshires, or obviously, Boston.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:31 AM
vt

Any suggestions for short trips with lovely vistas, hikes, food places in Vermont? I'd be coming from NYC.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:47 AM
NE2

I would start in either Newport, Rhode Island, or Portsmouth, New Hampshire, depending on how much time you have and the time of year...

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
eam

Try the Berkshires. Williamstown & no Adams are lovely & you can take a side trip to VT. Lenox is also really nice.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:38 PM
cl

My husband and I went last September to Rockport and also stayed a couple of days in Boston. Rockport is beautiful. I would stay away from Marblehead, though. Glouster is also good.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Chris

In Vermont try a tiny college town in the southeastern part of the state "Putney", then travel to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. As for Maine my suggestion is Arcadia National Park, Rockland, Bar Harbor. On the eastern part of Mass. visit Salem, Boston, then down to Cape Cod or in the western part try Amherst/ Northampton area, if not the Birkshires. As for Rhode Island, Newport is a must and Providence near the Brown University area is very nice. Then wrap it up in Mystic, Conneticut.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:21 AM
tracy

my family went to the east coast in the summer of 2001. drove from salem, mass. right up to new brunswick. We loved bar harbor, boothbay harbour (one of my personal fav's) glouchester was good. take the coastal road, it was gorgeous. actually the whole trip was great. can't wait to do it again.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Summer

Newport, Rhode Island!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Emily

I think many poeple tend to overlook the Pioneer Valley/Springfield area. There are some of the best restaurants in Northampton (north of Springfield), plenty of nightlife all over, plenty of places to stay for less than Boston (I'm sure), and best of all it's city life without the big city population.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:40 PM
xxxxxx

If you want the ocean and hiking you may want to check out Bar Harbour, Me, Cape Ann or Cape Cod,MA or Johnstown RI
I would vote for the Ntl Seashore on Cape Cod