Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mount St Helens still worth detour in cloudy/wet weather?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're currently visiting Seattle and have always wanted to visit Mount St Helens. We'd planned to go down there tomorrow and return the following day. Unfortunately the weather forecast is for rain showers and cloud. I'm wondering whether we'd see anything under these conditions - should we still go in the hope that the clouds will part, or should we skip it. Anyone with any experience of how much the weather affects a sightseeing visit to the mountain?
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Hmm. Good question. I looked at the weather on-line and it said a 50% chance of showers on Thursday. This does not mean the clouds will not obscure the view, even if it is not raining.

I would say this. It is not like Mt. Rainier. I would not recommend a trip to Mt Rainier in the rain or clouds as the views are such an important part of that experience. With Mt. St. Helens, it is different. First, the National Park Service has excellent visitor's centers with very informative and interesting displays and movies(Mt. St Helens Vistors Center at Seaquest State Park - Silver Lake and the Johnstone Ridge Observatory). The movies and slide shows in these visitor's centers are not to be missed, and the other displays are truly great. And second, there are interesing things to do, even if you can't see a lot. There is a trail up at Johnstone Ridge in the blast zone that would be interesting even if it were cloudy or sprinkling. Also, the crater is not that far from the visitor's center at Johnstone Ridge, so there is a reasonable chance you'd be able to see it when you were at the Johnstone Ridge Observatory, I think (I hope).

If you go, take warm clothes and rain gear.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 12:08 AM

We were there in that type weather about 10 years ago - we could not see the actual dome, but are still glad we went. The Visitor Centers were excellent - far from many of the usual NPS centers that make one feel like they are on a 5th grade field trip from school. I remember just standing outside in awe at the power of the volcano. Not for everyone - but if it is something you have always wanted to see I would still go.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 06:25 AM

If this were 1984, yes.
If this is at the top of your things to do before you die list, yes.
Otherwise, no.

HTTY
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

just a short reply as I'm on my sony mp4. we did go and it was truly amazing! weather was much better than expected even a glimpse of the crater thru the clouds from johnstone ridge. very pleased we went, thank-you for the great advice!
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 03:35 AM

Glad you went - for me it was one of those things you just have to be at to internalize the magnitude of it all. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 09:56 PM

I am so glad. It is amazing, isn't it? You get a different perspective - somewhat filled with awe, when you realize what lies beneath our feet.