Mount Evans Scenic Hwy

Jan 9th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Mount Evans Scenic Hwy

We made it to Summit Lake in 2008, but unfortuately it was the day after Labor Day and they had just closed the road to the top. We will be going back the 16th of Jul to hopefully make it all the way to the top. This is a beautiful drive and I've always regreated not making the final drive. I noticed on the Scentic Drive web site, that the road was closed to traffic for the whole season last year. Were they repaving the whole drive or just making major repairs to sections of the drive? It was or is a very wavy drive as you ge t nearer to Summit Lake. Would be nice if they have flatten the section out. Thanks
Jan 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM

If you're looking at www.mountevans.com, the notice on the front page means that *as of* Oct. 1, 2012, the road to the top is closed. It was open during the summer months - my family drove up there in July. It is a wonderful place to visit. The road isn't bad at all, and if you're driving slowly as you should be, it's fine. Just try to get up there as early as possible in the day to avoid the almost daily afternoon thunderstorms and lightning. Wear warm clothing as it could be in the 30s at the top and very windy. Also, lunch or dinner at BeauJo's pizza in Idaho Springs is a great way to conclude your trip!

Search this Thread