Motorhome trip to Alaska next June 09

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Alaska in our 31 ft. Class A motorhome. We will be celebrating our 55 wedding anniversary on June 13 2009. We live near Spokane WA. Any suggestions.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM

If your budget allows, I would consider going up on the Alaska Ferry so you can combine the Inside Passage with the popular Central AK area. We had a car and departed in Skagway overnighted in Tok and then drove most of the second day to the Wasilla area. We probably missed out by not getting off the ferry for a couple of days in Juneau but we were anxious to get to our final destination.
How long will you be staying? There's a wonderful craft fair (Forest Fair) in Girdwood around the 4th of July and Kenai has a terrific 4th of July parade.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Buy a copy of "Milepost", the mile-by-mile guide to all the highways and campgrounds and attractions.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Lots of info on www.rv.net---
the Alaska Ferry would be great but is is very expensive--basic charge then measurements of your RV is added on. However, considering the cost of gas/RV MPG..Might be workable..
Happy Trails
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM

People we've talked to said the drive up was more scenic than the mainland of Alaska itself. Having sailed from Anchorage to Vancouver, I found the scenery of the Inside Passage fairly boring. I'd rather drive than sail that section.

We've flown in and rented an RV twice and really enjoyed staying in Denali NP, Talkeetna (flightseeing trips from there are AWESOME), Seward and Russian River National Forest Campground (for salmon fishing).

Check out the Alaska Toursaver Book (I think that's the name). For around $100 they sell a coupon book, most of which are buy one get one free. When we did the flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna two of us went for one price. That one coupone paid for the book. You can look at all the coupons on their website to see if it would be useful to you.