Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mother's Day brunch in Portland - which restaurant?

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! Hubby and I will be in Portland over Mother's Day weekend and we'd like to take our moms to a nice Mother's Day brunch on Sunday May 8th. Can anybody please provide some recommendations on restaurants in the Portland area that will be doing MD brunch - not only ones that are doing MD brunch, but one's that you would recommend. Are there any that we should stay away from?

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM

The first thing that came to mind is the Heathman. I've not had their brunch, but the restaurant receives consistently good reviews, and IMO has the broad appeal you're looking for.

Pazzo, in the Hotel Vintage Plaza, also has a Sunday brunch that I expect would be good too (I know the restaurant).

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:10 PM
mms

A bit on the outskirts, but the Edgefield has a nice Mother's Day brunch. There is the nicer restaurant, the Black Rabbit, as well as another that I don't recall the name of. Anyway, we had our brunch at the Black Rabbit last year and it was very nice.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks beachbum and mms!

My husband's parents live in Vancouver and so we've done Mother's Day brunch twice at the Heathman Lodge in Vancouver, but I wanted to try something new. Perhaps the Heathman downtown would have different offerings - plus it would be a change of scenery.

I'd like to stay in the Portland downtown or I-205 south area since we have to drive home south after the meal and my mom has to drive from Oregon City to meet us. We've eaten at the Black Rabbit before at Edgefield and enjoyed it - although it wasn't for brunch.

If you or anybody else has additional idea please let me know.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure the two Heathmans are affiliated, Tracey. One place where I have had brunch is the London Grill in the Benson Hotel. The food is quite good, and there's a broad selection, but the restaurant is below street-level, so you almost feel as if in a dungeon.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM
mms

I think Beachbum is right about the two Heathmans.

I do not know if they are doing a brunch, but Mother's Bistro is a great place for breakfast and is right downtown. You may want to call and check. We have eaten there several times for various meals and has always been enjoyable.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:50 PM

We were in Portland last month and really enjoyed Wildwood for lunch. I think they serve brunch on the weekends, you could check their website.

We also really enjoyed Park Kitchen in the Pearl for dinner. I haven't had brunch there, but someone from Washington DC did on the Chowhound board and really enjoyed it. www.parkkitchen. com Cheers! ***kim***
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks y'all. I'm going to do some calling around tomorrow to the various places and see if they're doing MD brunch. Luckily both mom's are more interested in seeing us kids than the food so I suppose it doesn't really matter where we eat, but I'd like it to be special for them. Thanks again everybody.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM

How about Mother's Bistro? They have great breakfasts. They don't normally do reservations, but you might ask for MD.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM

How is the Salty's in Portland? We enjoyed the one in Seattle very much. ***kim***
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi all! I did some calling around yesterday and decided to book the Heathman Restaurant at the Heathman hotel. They have a 3-course prix fix meal downstairs in the dining room or a buffet upstairs (both are $38.00/person). We booked the buffett and it sounded like they were filling up fast.

Wildwood wasn't doing a mother's day brunch - bummer. I also called Portland City Grill and they were doing a MD brunch, however it was $49.99/person and it was in a "private" room - thus you miss the views. I'm not paying $50/person and not have the wonderful view.

Thanks for the tips everybody!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Tracey,
One of the things I like about the Heathman restaurant is the wall of windows looking out to the street. If the buffet is "upstairs", it may be in more of a banquet room; not much atmosphere, and little or no view to the outside. You might want to go with the three-course deal.

And regarding Portland City Grill, wow, $50 is pretty steep! But "private" room doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a view. Private rooms, at least those I've been in, face south, so the view is out over the city and west hills. It's not nearly as nice as the panoramic view from the restaurant though. And I guess your table would have to be fairly close to the window.

Whichever you choose, enjoy the brunch. It's pretty cool to have both moms at the same table (or is it?).
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Lovely, I think you will be very pleased with your choice of the Heathman..although I am sorry I missed Mothers when we were there in Sept.
We had dinner twice at the Heathman on that trip and drinks once, it is very nice there
Enjoy Portland!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:19 AM
sks

I would highly recommend Amadeus at the Fernwood Inn (it's in Milwaukie off River Road). It's a really uniqe location - an old stone mansion overlooking the Wilamette river. Very beautiful and great food. I've had brunch there which was great as well as my wedding and all the guests *loved* the food.
http://www.wguides.com/city/159/117_87308.cfm
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi y'all,

sks, yes, I agree, the Amadeus at the Fernwood Inn is great. It's funny you mention your wedding....my cousin had her wedding reception there and the food was outstanding - you made an excellent choice.

I actually changed our reservations today from the Heathman downtown to the Rheinlander on the east side for Mother's Day Brunch. I was able to get the time we really wanted, plus the location is more convenient for both families.

Hubby and I will be spending our anniversary weekend in Portland during June so I am considering the Heathman Restaurant dining room as an option. I'm also considering the Portland City grill for cocktails (perhaps dinner). However, the new Portland dining guide came out in the Oregonian on Friday and after reading through it I now have way too many places I'd like to try...we only have two dinner evenings in Portland for June, but I guess this gives us an excuse to make another weekend trip just for perusing downtown.

Has anybody been to the "restaurant of the year" outlined in the A&E dining guide called "Andina" (considered "high-style Peruvian") - the food sounds similar to Oba's.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations - really appreciat it.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:31 PM
mms

Tracey--I saw that dining guide also. PCG is great for happy hour and the views, I would go elsewhere for dinner. I will be staying downtown this weekend for a girls weekend, so if we try any great places I will let you know.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Tracey,
I've been going to Der Rheinlander for.. yikes, over 35 years now. And though I love it, it's not in the same league as Heathman. It does have a fun atmosphere though, and the food is fine, so I'm sure moms will love it. Just don't expect gourmet.

I've been to Andina a couple times too, both within a few months of when it opened. I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed; they must have gotten better. Maybe I need to give it another try. Can't compare it to Oba's since I've never been there. The Heathman would be great for an anniversary dinner. But Hurley's would be a knock your socks off experience (both food and checkbook). Paley's Place would be a great choice too.

I agree with mms about Portland City Grill. Views are great and all, but IMO everything (foodwise) Pacific Coast Restaurants does is pretty ordinary.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi mms, yes, let us know if you try anything new this weekend.

Beachbum, luckily those of us going to MD brunch have all been to the Rheinlander many times so we know what to expect - definitely agree it's not gourment, but tasty nonetheless. Plus, its eastside location makes it a better option for our families getting together.

Thanks for the recommendation about Hurleys. I sat down and read through all the reviews last night in the new dining guide and had circled Hurleys - it sounded great, but I hadn't really "heard" much buzz about it. Maybe that'll be one of the places we'll go for our anniversary.

I think you and mms are right about PCG - we'll probably just go for cocktails and the view...I've heard from others as well that the menu prices aren't commensurate with the quality - you're basically paying for the view....think we'll stick with just having drinks - should be fun.

Thanks again everybody!

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM

Yes, Hurley's is very nice. We really enjoyed our meal there. Go to the PNW Chowhound board to read more opinions on this restaurant. ***kim***