Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mother-Daughter Trip for Sweet Sixteen (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mother-daughter-trip-for-sweet-sixteen-929428/)

sportsstar Mar 27th, 2012 07:36 PM

Mother-Daughter Trip for Sweet Sixteen

My mother and I plan to go on a trip for my Sweet Sixteen. We would like for it to be relatively close to Arkansas. We can't be extravagent for the costs (under $5000). The trip would be early November. It can only be a 3 to 4 day trip. Any Ideas???

NorthwestMale Mar 27th, 2012 11:11 PM

Wow, I would be soooooooooooooooooo proud of myself if I magically came up with ***THE*** answer for this one, and I'm thinking hard, and staring at the map here...

My two best thoughts so far, are:

A - Charleston, SC

or

B - San Antonio/Austin, TX

Of course I want it to be someplace you've never been before, so I don't know those parameters, and I think the most awesome part is just being able to remember something you shared with your MOM (and that she cared enough to make it happen).

Going too far north in November is questionable (of course the weather is wacky these days, so perhaps by then 'going too far SOUTH' will be the questionable part)

You've likely/possibly already done "Nashville", and that would depend largely on whether you yourself are into country music.

Your budget implies that 'flying' is an option, and it is a reasonable 800 miles to Charleston from, say, Little Rock... and 600 miles to San Antonio.

Charleston is a traditional old city with lots of beauty of the sort that women young and old would find unique. It has a fresh, southern feel to it and isn't overrun by society for it not really being on the way between too many places people want to go.

It would be so interesting to hear more about what elements you yourself are seeking and anticipating for your trip. I would think the internet would be especially good as a resource for pictures of Charleston.

Hopefully I'll at least inspire others to chime-in!

Ackislander Mar 28th, 2012 01:15 AM

East: Charleston, Savannah, Washington, New York
West: Santa-Monica to Malibu, Santa Barbara, San Francisco

Rebelfone_Inc Mar 28th, 2012 03:15 AM

Hi!
For a sweet sixteen you should go to a place that you won't forget your entire life, you should make your trip memorable with your mom. Try going to New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco. Malibu also is a great option. It depends on what all place you have been and which all places you haven't.
Goodluck!

qwovadis Mar 28th, 2012 03:50 AM

NewOrleansonline.com Great vibe close you could fly or drive.
Monteleone in the Quarter or Coloumns Hotel on St Charles
where the Brooke Shields movie "Pretty Baby" was filmed
would make for an unique experience.
Great food too at Commander's Palace where Emeril got his start Kpauls.com for best blackened redfish in the known multiverse.

Hoteldel.com lajolla.com for beach shopping
farther and more but also nice.

San Francisco always a winner

Vegas Venetian or Treasure I for Party tripres.com

southwest.com web fares usually cheapest vacay deals for us.

Happy Planning!

Happy Planning!

emalloy Mar 28th, 2012 04:26 AM

Hop a plane and go to a spa in Santa Fe or Sedona.

williamscb13 Mar 28th, 2012 05:41 AM

Don't go to Santa Fe. It trends old. you want somewhere exciting for your 16th. I second New York or Chicago or Charleston

travelbuff Mar 28th, 2012 08:00 AM

I'd say NY, Chicago, Philadelphia or Boston all would be good coices. All have historic sites, great museums, good restaurants, young vibe and GREAT shopping. You could even do 2 cities like Boston/NY or NY/Philly.

whataboutit Mar 28th, 2012 10:04 AM

I vote for Chicago or NYC. My daughter enjoyed both!

You can fly nonstop out of Memphis into LGA. That is a good choice for NYC. We stayed Embassy suites......good rate and free nice breakfast. Might check out the rooms closer to Times Square since only 2 of you.

travelerfromtx Mar 28th, 2012 12:26 PM

You're budget seems ample for only 3 or 4 days. I vote for New York or Los Angeles. San Diego would be fun, too.

NorthwestMale's suggestion of San Antonio and Austin is also good. Lots of things to do in both of those cities.

What sort of things are you hoping to do on your trip? Shop? See world-class art museums? Explore nature by hiking? Go to a theater performance? Go to a spa? Sight-see at tourist attractions? Go to a beach? Letting us know the answer to these questions will help us help you more.

NorthwestMale Mar 28th, 2012 01:08 PM

I <i>knew</i> somebody was going to say <i>"New Orleans"</i>... in response to this, and that just isn't the sort of <I>theme</i> that makes sense for <I>"Sweet Sixteen",</i> with mom, no less.

Those other, bigger places are typically ones you're going to get to eventually, and nothing makes them particularly unique or "special" to reinforce the idea of traveling <i>with mom</i>.

It isn't easy to do enough in 3-ish days to feel <I>satisfied</i> about NYC or DC, and the west coast is considerably far away, while bringing the same challenges.

Living near the 'middle' of the country, you already have less ground to cover to get to the extremes one day, so I hope you'll pick a spot that really is and will remain <I>'special'</i> to you because you went there <I>"... with mom, on your sweet sixteen"</i>.

Barblab Mar 28th, 2012 01:40 PM

NYC! Plays, shopping, museums, food, Central park, and on and on. My daughter and I went for her high school graduation and had a blast. 10 years later and lots of other trips, that one is still a stand out.

gardendiva Mar 28th, 2012 01:47 PM

I am going to agree with Barblab. Chicago or NYC sound like perfect places to go. I will never forget the trip I took to Chicago with my Mom.

HappyTrvlr Mar 28th, 2012 02:12 PM

New York or Chicago would be the best for a girl's sweet 16.

NorthwestMale Mar 28th, 2012 05:56 PM

Hey, maybe the OP was trying to imply something about, say, <i>spending the entire budget at one boutique somewhere</i>...

LOL

Besides, before arriving at Fodors, <b>she probably KNEW that both New York and Chicago were</b> <i>out there</i>...

(so I'm holding out hope for her)

Grassshopper Mar 28th, 2012 06:30 PM

$50000 for four days? I know it's a long flight but London!

Shandy1977 Mar 28th, 2012 06:36 PM

I would vote for Charleston, SC. I think there are many things to do there that you and your mom will both enjoy, and it is just a BEAUTIFUL city! I have been multiple times now, including a trip with my mom and one with my wife. Both say it is one of their all-time favorite cities they visited. I think it will offer everything the two of you could be looking for to make this a wonderful, memorable trip.

You have lots of other great choices here, too. I think Boston is the best city in America, but I am biased being born and raised here. =) Lots of good advice and suggestions from other members, though.

I would not recommend New Orleans or Vegas. I personally LOVE both cities... but much of the things I enjoy there were fun because I was old enough to enjoy them. At 16, you will be blocked out of many fun places and activities. I would save New Orleans or Vegas for your 21st! =)

Grassshopper Mar 28th, 2012 06:36 PM

I meant $5000. :-)

MomDDTravel Mar 28th, 2012 07:31 PM

NYC!!!

gelatolover Mar 29th, 2012 01:30 AM

New York City. Hands down.