Reload this Page >

mother & 12 year old daughter trip to NYC hotel suggestions

Notices

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 12 year old and I will be traveling to NYC in the next 2 weeks. We want to sight see and see a show. We want to be in an upscale hotel in a central location for shopping and sight seeing. Keep in mind we are only there 2 nights.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, you should keep in mind that we'll need quite a bit more input from you before we can make any meaningful suggestions. Three key questions:
*How much do you want to spend on a hotel?
*What are your interests?
*Is this your first trip to New York?
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. We want to stay in a nice hotel so cost isn't really the issue as much as location. No more than $450/night would be fine.
My daughter wants to shop at Abercrombie and go the American Girl Doll store. Times Square, FAO Sschwarz, M& M world. Sight Seeing Empire State Building, Satue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Central Park etc. We are traveling via Amtrak so we'll see Union Station. This is her first trip to NYC and I haven't been there in years.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello CaroleHolly,

I just returned from NYC (beginning of July) and can highly recommend the Hotel Sofitel on W. 44th in Midtown Manhattan. I stayed there with a friend from Washington D.C. and the hotel was within walking distance of Times Square, several theaters, Grand Central Terminal, and Bryant Park. We were there for 4 nights, and I did think it was upscale, elegantly casual, with a knowledgeable and friendly staff. Despite the midtown location, it was very quiet in the rooms, and I noticed other guests with younger family members visiting.

Enjoy your visit!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost any hotel in Midtown will work in terms of location. I'd still recommend not staying in a Times Square hotel because of the crush of people in that part of the city. The Sofitel is a good location (close to both the east and west side). Since you want an upscale hotel and are willing to pay a pretty high rate, you'll have many choices. You might like the Library Hotel, which has a junior suite for $382 per night in early August. It's a smaller hotel across the street from Bryant Park (walking distance to everything in midtown and close to 2 subway lines for everything else).
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh .. and the nicest thing about the Library hotel is that in the same block is a great French-style bakery/lunch spot where you can get excellent croissants and coffees for breakfast.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you'll only be there two days, I'd restrict my Statue of Liberty viewing to a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry, rather than spending the hours it would consume to actually go to the statue.
Also, like many other posters, I'd recommend a visit to the Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center, rather than the top of the Empire State Building.
Just about all the places you want to visit and/or shop at are in the midtown area (except for the Statue of Liberty), the Sofitel or many others in the midtown area would be most convenient as you'd be within walking distance of the destinations mentioned.