Reload this Page >

Motels and B&Bs near University in Tucson, AZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:38 AM
carol

Please give me the names of some good places to stay while visiting the University of Arizona in Tucson

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:36 PM
Grieving Mom

Carol,
Can't help you with a place to stay; but we are doing the "college search" this year as well. It's really hard to act like a happy and supportive mom when they want to attend school so far away from home. Do visit the Desert Museum when in Tucson. It is wonderful.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 01:08 PM
kkj

There is a Marriott and a Sheraton Four Points within walking distance. Both are very nice. The Sheraton is near the Athletic Fields and the Marriott is in the shopping district that the students use.

Please be aware that Tucson isn't really that big of a city and there are lots of hotels and motels that are a short drive away. Smuggler's Inn on Speedway is nice. The Doubletree on Speedway is also very nice. If you want to go luxury the Lowes Ventana Canyon Resort, Sheraton El Conquistador and the Westin La Paloma are all good.

I've also stayed at the Hilton which is nice. As you might have guessed, I didn't go to the UofA, but my money sure did.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Linda

The area around the UofA is not exactly pretty so I would not stay there by choice (trust me, I live and work there I know what I'm saying). The University Marriott is practically on the UofA campus if you want to be really close. The Sheraton 4 Points is close but it is not a nice hotel (it's had many owners and last year the UofA actually put students up there when there was a lack of dorm space).

I'd be inclined to stay a little further from campus. The Windmill Inn at St Phillip's Plaza is very nice (all suite rooms). The Sheraton on Grant Road is also very nice (these are only about 5-6 miles away). The Doubletree Inn at Reid Park on Alvernon St. is also decent and close (a couple of miles) from UofA.
The Varsity Inn and Suites on Speedway may be suitable as well.

The pricey resorts (Westin La Paloma, Sheraton & Loew's Ventana) are just that .. pricey. The Sheraton is quite far, it is in Oro Valley actually. The Ventana is nearly always over priced and there is some security problems going on at the La Paloma at the moment - 3 attacks on guests in just the last week.
Personally, if I were you I'd go for the Windmill Inn - it's in a nice plaza with several places to eat nearby as well.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:55 PM
Kameha

The Marriott is in the best location. It's a nice, small area of shops and restaurants right outside the main gates of U of A. Try Gentle Ben's restaurant and brew pub - great food and beer and a U of A hangout. Classy place close to the U but not exactly short walking distance is the Arizona Inn.
I live in Tucson - my son left for college to Washington state this week. Talk about grieving!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Alan

Just make sure you give the Days Inn Convention Centre on the highway a wide berth.... they accepted our printout confirmation on check-in, but at check-out time (on Christams Eve) they announced that it was wrong, and, with our bags in their back room and the bus almost due, demanded an extra 30%! The manager wouldn't even talk to us... conveyed messages through the telephone via the check-in boy, who looked barely old enough to gain entry to the University you're going to. We vowed never to stay at a Days Inn again.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Marti

Smugglers Inn is a dump, I'm sure poster has not stayed there lately. There's a brand new suites hotel on Broadway, can't remember the name...do a search on travelocity, specify suites only. Very nice.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
cece

Go on Priceline. You can get at least a three star hotel (Hilton, Radisson, etc.) for about $40 a night.

Take a look at www.biddingfortravel.com for ideas re: hotels and prices on Priceline.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Debbie

We always enjoy staying at the Adobe Rose Inn--a great little B&B not too far from the University.I think the price varies a bit with the seasons, but it is still a good value.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:04 PM
x

Linda or anyone - what happened? Three guests were attacked how?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Kameha

I think you're referring to guests at the Westin La Paloma this summer. Nothing since then and nothing at any of the properties suggested in this thread.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Chris

Thanks Kameha - You're right, I looked at the date. But what happened last summer at the Paloma?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Kameha

Chris - I'm not sure what happened exactly. I think there were two incidents of sexual assault or attempted assault. Sorry I don't know more.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
Linda

Anyone stayed at the Catalina Park Inn, a B&B near UA? It looks nice, and I would like to hear your opinion. And is the area around UA that bad?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Melissa

I don't think of it as unsafe...just old and run down, kind of grimy. Most of Tucson is that way, unless you go to a golf resort outside of town. If I have to stay in Tucson proper, I stay at the Doubletree Reid Park...pretty close to UofA (<5 min by car?).

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:37 PM
Linda

Melissa, Thank you. I will check out the Doubletree. Linda