Motel Near B'ham Airport?

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motel Near B'ham Airport?

We will need a motel room for the night prior to our early AM flight in July. Any good/bad experiences/recommendations? Thanks!

Belle
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Being from B'ham, i would not suggest staying too close to the airport. It is notoriously seedy in that area. I wouldn't feel comforable sleeping there. How about the Tutweiler Hotel in Downtown b'ham? It is a Wyndham Hotel and very nice. It is about a 10 min. drive to the airport.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Being from B'ham, I would suggest that you avoid motels near the airport. This area is notoriously seedy. I would not feel comfortable sleeping there. I would suggest the historic Tutweiler Hotel in downtown. It is a Wyndham hotel and very nice. It is about a 10 min. drive at the most to the airport. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Hello. Since you asked for a motel recommendation, I will recommend the Days Inn-Airport. It was just renovated and is now rated a 2.5*. Only about a mile to the airport, just off the exit ramp. There is also a Comfort Inn but it is not as newly
renovated.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

OK, will avoid staying to close, and will look into the Tutwiler. Any other 10 min. from the airport suggestions? We have to be there by 6:45AM! Belle.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

bebalm:
I went to UAB (many years ago!) Is the Tutweiler Hotel what used to be Tutweiler Hall, part of UAB on 21st St.?

Anyway, it's more than we want to pay for just a place to sleep so we can make it to the AP on time...any Hampton Inns or the like in the area? Thanks! Reta.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
bamakelly

Nothing near the airport is very safe and likely isn't too clean either.

The Tutwiler is one of the nicest historic hotels (maybe THE nicest) in Bahm. It's downtown, not near UAB. It's a little pricey for an overnighter before an airport run.

There is a Hampton Inn on Hwy 280. It's nice and clean and safe. Traffic is a problem on 280, though, you will have to leave earlier (but the location of the Hampton on 280 will bypass most of the problem areas). The Sheraton, downtown, is probably the closest I would stay in. I had a huge stolen-luggage issue there earlier this year, but if you are just staying there overnight, I think you'd be fine. It's not an unsafe place generally speaking.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:12 AM

The Tutweiler has never had an affiliation with UAB. What about the Redmont or Pickwick hotels, they are both downtown and in that 10 min. range. If not those, i might suggest something in homewood. If you have to be in the airport for a 6am flight that would have you leaving your hotel at about 4:30 am. You could get there pretty quick from anywhere at that time of day.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

The flight is not until 9AM.
We stayed at a nice ?Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express last Fall near Oak Mountain State Park. How long do you think it would take to drive to the airport from that area?

Interesting note: Tutweiler's website gave me a price of $134/nt. reg. price. When I re-entered it with AARP discount checked, it was $135! What's with that?

Belle.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:35 AM
bamakelly

OSB: Do you have to be there at 6:45, or is your flight at 6:45?

I agree that bebalm's hotel suggestions are nice hotels, but if I were just looking for a place to stay overnight before an early flight, I wouldn't pay the prices you are likely to find in those hotels. (Unless of course you find a good deal.) IMHO only.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
bamakelly

Sorry OSB--your post wasn't on there yet when I wrote the last reply (maybe mine wasn't refreshed).

Anyway, I still say you can stay somewhere a lot less $$$ than the old downtown historic hotels. While nice, they are luxury hotels, not stopover hotels. The drive from Oak Mtn is long--30 min or so depending on traffic. If you are willing to drive a few minutes, I still say Hampton Inn 280 (it's on the side closest to the Expressway, not much of a 280 drive involved), or the Sheraton downtown. The Homewood area hotels are fine too--I just can't remember what the names of them are.

If I were you, I'd be in the Hampton Inn 280.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM
bamakelly

Just thought of another option for you...the Hampton Inn in Trussville is about 10 miles from the airport, the other direction from mid-city. It's fairly clean and might be easier traffic-wise.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Bamakelly, thanks, that sounds like a good lead...will check it out! Belle.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM

The Holiday Inn at the Arpt is fine.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM

At that time of morning you could get from oak mtn exit to airport in about 20 mins. Check out Lakeshore exit in Homewood. Several hotels there, and that is a desent area.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM

My hotel in Alabama is the Hampton Inn B'ham East/ Irondale. I just checked and it is the closest Hampton Inn to the airport.

I probably first chose it because it's the HI on the Atlanta side of Birmingham (for late night arrivals) but I was a regular there for years. Easy to get to, no traffic worries and it became one of my favorites. Nothing much in the area as far as restaurants, etc. but I was usually eating out elsewhere with others and grabbed a Subway from the shopping center nearby if I was eating alone. Right next to a Sam's. Of course, complimentary breakfast in the mornings.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:50 AM
bamakelly

Good call, Starrsville. I concur!!

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:56 AM

There's a pretty good BBQ restaurant within a mile or so. Family owned - nothing fancy, but good Q. If they were open, I'd stop in and get something - sometimes to take back to the room.

I wish I could remember the restaurant I loved in the renovated Little 5 Points/ Virginia Highland part of town (Atlanta neigborhoods). There's a good Thai restaurant there (is it a Surin?) and a great restaurant with wonderful salads and mashed potatoes - along with everything else. I can ask a friend or maybe bebalm or bamakelly know what I'm talking about. Old building - I think tin ceilings - great food!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

BBQ or Thai...NOW yo're talk'n!

I finally realized I'll be in B'ham next weekend for a CE course...DH is going and will check out the area/suggestions for a motel. He LOVES BBQ! If you think of the name of that place, let me know!

After this weekend, I should be alittle more focused/flexible...the course is on Yoga!

Pray I don't injure myself just before "the trip"!! Thanks again! Belle.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
bamakelly

Surin would have to be what you're talking about as far as Thai--it's delicious and it's in Five Points. There's also one in Crestline Village. The other restaurant, by Surin in Five Points, changes a lot; it's been 3 places in 5 years and I can't even remember their names now--not sure if it's the same as when you were there last. I think it might actually be a BBQ place now--a bracnch of Jim N Nicks. Not sure which BBQ place you are referring to near the hotel-- there are so many good ones. Jim N NIcks is my favorite and there are many locations. Johnny Rays is a close 2nd.

OSB--there is another thread about Bham where I gave lots of other suggestions for places to eat, etc. I will see if I can resurrect it for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information