Most Scenic or Interesting Route?

Oct 4th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Most Scenic or Interesting Route?

We are planning a day of road tripping around CT and wasn't sure which routes would be best for scenic non-hurried driving when traveling between Milford and the Kent/Litchfield areas. Also is the Merritt Parkway worth the drive down and back? After leaving Litchfield, planned a jaunt over to Mystic to wrap up the day, again any route suggestions would be appreciated.

Unfortunately with mapping software, shortest route and distance are an option, however, "most scenic" isn't.

Thanks
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Right. Maybe you'll get some ideas here:http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/fal.../aadrivect.htm
Oct 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Do you mean Milford or New Milford? There's quite a difference.
Oct 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks happytrailstoyou, this kind of info is exactly what I'm looking for. sobster, we will be in milford down by the coast.
Oct 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM

The Merritt Parkway is usually lovely, but if the weather is bad (dark and rainy or snowy) or traffic is heavy, it can get bolloxed up in a hurry -- in bad weather or Friday afternoons I prefer the Interstate for smoother traveling.

It doesn't really have any vistas or views, but the trees are pretty.
Oct 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM

I am not sure that trying to do Litchfield and Mystic in one day would be a jaunt! It isn't a very big state, but there are no good "corner to corner" routes, and traffic is heavy on the main roads. On the other hand, the back roads are often brilliant. Mystic needs a day, northwestern Connecticut is lovely and merges seamlessly into beautiful parts of NY State and the Berkshires of Massachusetts.
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM

This is what you might do. Locate Rte. 67 coming out of New Haven north toward Southbury, Bridgewater and New Milford. Beautiful little new England towns. In New MIlford choose either Rte, 202 north to Litchfield. From 202 you can cut off to Washington,CT and then over the hill to Litchfield. Or cut off from 202 into New Preston, around Lake Waramaug to Warren or Litchfield then over the hill to Kent. Or from New Milford head up Rte 7 to Kent etc etc., Kent Falls etc. All are beautiful, scenic NE roads. And then again you could use back roads in New Milford heading north into real rural areas and keep going north to Gaylordsville on Rte 7 or wend your way to South Kent and Kent. Actually it's not as confusing as I am making it sound. And keep your eyes peeled. There area rich and famous all over that area. Apropos of Mystic. It's not a jaunt.
Oct 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help. I see after further research that we could probably burn a full day just in the NW CT area and another day in the Mystic coastal area. That sounds perfect!!! Appreciate your help, I am so excited to see the area.
Oct 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know much about the Train/Riverboat ride in Essex? It is worth spending an afternoon or evening for the dinner cruise?