Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Most Scenic Drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/most-scenic-drive-from-vegas-to-grand-canyon-707450/)

jso444 May 23rd, 2007 10:30 AM

Most Scenic Drive from Vegas to Grand Canyon

Hi--a friend and I are driving to the Grand Canyon from Vegas in late July...what is the most scenic route to take? We may have an hour or two to stop and see anything spectacular on our way to the GC...any guidance would be appreciated!

boom_boom May 23rd, 2007 11:40 AM

I think the most scenic is Highway 95 through Henderson & Searchlight down to Route 163 that will take you to Laughlin, cross the river to Bullhead City then head for Kingman. If you are not in a big rush, take what remains of Route 66 between Kingman and Seilgman before rejoining I-40 to Williams and the road to the Canyon.

jso444 Jul 23rd, 2007 01:09 PM

Thanks! Does the route you suggest pass by Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park by any chance?

kayd Jul 23rd, 2007 01:28 PM

No, you were given the Arizona route, to the South Rim. If you go via Utah, you would be approaching the North Rim.

jso444 Jul 23rd, 2007 01:56 PM

Thank you! Taking that into consideration, we'll drive the suggested route from Vegas to the South Rim (which is where we're staying). Then maybe on the way back to Vegas from the GC, when we have some extra time, we'll go up the other route and try to see Zion or Bryce. We have to pick one sight...Zion or Bryce...which is more scenic? I have to say that Bryce looked really beautiful online and we'll only have time to see one...

gail Jul 23rd, 2007 02:37 PM

Bryce over Zion.

We drove Las Vegas to bryce to Grand Canyon (South Rim) following usual highway route. To a family from Boston, the entire trip was beautiful.

kayd Jul 23rd, 2007 02:40 PM

Another vote for Bryce. Though Zion is really beautiful with lovely hikes possible, Bryce is a one-of-a-kind place and it best seen near sunrise or sunset if at all possible.

TheWeasel Jul 23rd, 2007 02:55 PM

You will wind up driving through part of Zion on your way from Bryce to Las Vegas, so you will be able to see at least part of it that way.

pollyvw Jul 23rd, 2007 03:21 PM

And when you drive through the tunnel on the way toward Zion from Bryce, be prepared to look out the 'windows'...spectacular sights.

jso444 Jul 25th, 2007 11:39 AM

THANKS! Approx. how long will the drive from South Rim take to Bryce? And how long will the drive from Bryce to Vegas be? We'll need to be back in Vegas by about 7 pm for a flight...

kayd Jul 25th, 2007 11:49 AM

South Rim to Bryce will take the better part of a day -- maybe 6 hours. Bryce to LV is not so far, about 4-5 hours. But there are lots of scenic spots in that region, so you probably want to allow more time for photo stops.

Vttraveler Jul 25th, 2007 01:26 PM

Last summer we drove from Vegas to the south rim via Highway 93 through Boulder city past the Hoover Dam then east on I 40 to Williams. We went back via the route boom boom describes.
We didn't do the whole section of Rte 66 to Seligman but we did stop in Kingman for a little taste of Rte 66

Of the two routes I would pick the first as more interesting/scenic. Hoover Dam is a good stop along the way.

I thought Searchlight Utah on Highway 95 was one of the more depressing places I have been in a long time

If you are going to go back to Vegas from the south rim via Utah you should plan on stopping along the part of the rim between Grand Canyon village and the eastern entrance to the park. It is less crowded than the area around GC village and has some amazing views of the canyon.

utahtea Jul 25th, 2007 07:26 PM

Everyone has their own favorite when it comes to Byrce or Zion. I'm one that likes Zion better.

Grand Canyon to Bryce and then though Zion to Las Vegas is 540 miles and will take approx. 11 hours to drive. For the amount of time you will have at Bryce...I'd skip it this time.

Grand Canyon via Zion to Las Vegas skipping Bryce is 417 miles and approx. an 8 hours drive.

Keep in mind as you drive from the Grand Canyon Village to Desert View, there are several great overlooks you should not miss...so that's more time you need to plan for. You will also be driving right by Lake Powell and the Glen Canyon National Recreational Area. Upper Slot Canyon tour or the short hike to Horseshoe Bend would make a great place to stretch the legs. Once in Zion make sure you ride the free shuttle buses into the canyon (plan at least an hour...longer if you decide to do a short hike)

Utahtea