Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Most picturesque town and inn in New England! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/most-picturesque-town-and-inn-in-new-england-271842/)

Philip Nov 8th, 2002 01:07 PM

Most picturesque town and inn in New England!

<BR><BR>Would appreciate your help.<BR><BR>We are planning our first trip to New England this winter. Our thoughts are to use our Southwest Airlines rapid rewards for a 5 or 6 day trip. We would like to visit the most picturesque town in New England and stay and one of the inns with character. Does not have to be the most expensive but cost is secondary.<BR><BR>Love sailing and quaint villages. What is the one village and inn that will draw us back. We live in S. Texas so thought winter trip would certainly be different. It will be 70 degrees here.

Ethan Nov 8th, 2002 01:36 PM

The Norumbega in Camden, Maine.

CT Nov 8th, 2002 01:39 PM

Danbury, CT...lovely town

Zootsi Nov 8th, 2002 01:42 PM

This is a very broad topic. First off, are you looking for a small mountain village, or a seaside town? Realize that winter by the sea can be brutal(but beautiful), I don't think there will be any sailing! Maybe ice boating on a lake. There are many, many beautiful inns and villages throughout rural New England. It would be impossible to say one is the most picturesque! Be more specific as to what you hope to experience - skiing, horsedrawn sleighrides, etc. Do you want a very rural area, a more touristy town, a farm?

James Nov 8th, 2002 01:59 PM

Danbury CT??<BR>You're kidding, right?<BR><BR>Danbury is a rusting old industrial town with almost no charm or character. If you're simply being snide, that's fine. But with no additional comments, Philip might have taken you seriously.<BR><BR>Danbury isn't even one of the better town in its own area.<BR>Litchfield is the classic New England town in the area. Or go to Westport.<BR><BR>All these towns pale in comparison to places like Woodstock VT (often cited as the quintessential NE town, with the Woodstock Inn being the best place to stay, right on the town's 'green'); Manchester VT (NOT New Hampshire) where the Equinox Resort is the place to stay; Middlebury VT; Essex VT (Inn at Essex), etc.<BR>NH has some great scenery but lacks the nice charming inns Vermont has.<BR>The other great New England experiences are in Maine. Many good options there, but it's pretty desolate feeling in winter.

Sam Nov 8th, 2002 02:02 PM

Woodstock, VT has been beautifully preserved/restored thanks to being adopted/patronized by the Rockefeller family, which has even paid for the electric cables to be buried underground, the better to preserve the quaintness of the town. (They have a place nearby.) So it's sorta like Williamsburg, except with real people and no admission fee.

Melissa Nov 8th, 2002 02:08 PM

i personally love sleepy Jackson Village, NH in the heart of the White Mountains. As far as the inn, Wentworth, Eagle Mountain House and Christmas Farm are all wonderful.<BR>Enjoy!

beth Nov 8th, 2002 02:16 PM

Lenox, Mass over the holidays when there is a foot of snow on the ground.<BR><BR>Talk about picturesque New England.

Philip Nov 8th, 2002 02:36 PM

<BR>Zootsi ~ based on the postings during the past few minutes, I am thinking we should spend ~ say ~ 3 nights in Vermont and 3 nights in a coastal town. Originally, I was thinking about a &quot;seaside village&quot;. Would like for the 2 locations to be not over 3 or 4 hours apart. <BR><BR>Philip<BR><BR>PS Thanks James for letting me know that CT is a loser. Actually, I would have taken his post seriously.

Fiona Nov 8th, 2002 06:13 PM

I would pick Marblehead MA. Beautiful and close to Boston if you want a &quot;City&quot;. Second choice would be Kennebunkport. <BR><BR>Never Danbury! My husband almost got transferred there and when we went to look at it was not as I would have pictured. <BR><BR>Have fun!

Gene Nov 8th, 2002 06:19 PM

Here are my reccommendations:<BR><BR>Snowy Owl Inn.....Waterville Valley NH<BR>Longfellow's Wayside Inn...Sudbury, MA<BR>Dan'l Webster Inn.........Sandwich, MA<BR>Chatham Bars Inn...........Chatham, MA<BR><BR>All the above have websites to learn more about them.

susanna Nov 8th, 2002 07:36 PM

I second Lenox, and in fact anywhere in the Berkshires. It's magic, with so much of historic interest as well as antural beauty; and lots of inns. Also SW now flies into Albany which is a VERY easy 1hr drive to the area. Froeliche Weinachten or something like that!

Sherry Nov 8th, 2002 08:11 PM

DO NOT MISS BOOTHBAY HARBOR, MAINE. IT IS THE PRETTIEST TOWN! I lived in New England for a while and made it a point to see a lot of small towns. Boothbay has a major place in our hearts-- it is gorgeous!!!

Me2 Nov 9th, 2002 06:23 AM

Philip,<BR>Definitely go to the Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, VT. Picturesqe coastal towns include Camden and Kennebunkport Maine, but I can't recommend an inn there from personal experience. (Although the Capt Lord Mansion and the Maine Stay Inn have great reps.) I do love the Black Point Inn at Prout's Neck just outside Portland, doing day trips south to K-port (almost an hour) and north to Camden (twice as far).<BR>I believe SW flies into Portland, and am certain it goes to Manchester, NH. Both would be convenient airports for your travel. Also, be advised that the last two weeks in February are school vacation weeks here. January and the first two weeks of February will have excellent mid-week pricing.<BR>

Donna Nov 9th, 2002 03:58 PM

Here's another recommendation for Lenox, MA, a quintessential New England town, chock full of magnificent inns &amp; B&amp;B's, excellent fine dining, shops, and plenty to see and do in the area (in addition to glorious scenery). The coast of Maine is not a good winter destination. With the exception of Portland, most destinations are seasonal and much will be closed for the winter. Year-round coastal destinations would include Portsmouth, NH, Newburyport, MA...

todd Nov 16th, 2002 09:28 AM

Tack a map of Vermont on the wall. Throw a dart. It'll hit a picturesque town. And coming from S. Texas, even Vermont's largest city (Burlington) will appear charming.<BR><BR>Philip, you're on the right track. I'd choose a town in Vermont and then head 'down east' to one of Maine's coastal cities. I know Southwest Airlines flies into Providence, Rhode Island (not bad if you want to include Boston in your itinerary); however in your present circumstance it sounds like you'd want to fly into one of the cities in VT / NH / ME --- I don't know exactly where they go that far north. I'd look into an &quot;open jaws&quot; routing (into one city and out from another) to maximize your time and not have to backtrack.<BR>

jahna Nov 16th, 2002 01:09 PM

Rockport Ma. - I am not a fan of the Yankee Clipper but it is right on the Ocean - the town is quaint - little shops, small charming restaurants - also close to Boston - There are wonderful B&amp;B in Rockport - and of course I am drawing a blank - but try bedandbreakfast.com - lots of folks on this site talk about it - you won't be sorry if you need more recommendaitons!

Innophile Nov 16th, 2002 01:19 PM

<BR><BR>The Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Mass.

sandra Nov 16th, 2002 07:53 PM

James thank you for explaining the real Danbury, But you left the 3 tourist spots in Danbury.<BR>1. The Federal Prison<BR>2. Stew Leonards ( he has actualy spent time in a federal prison )<BR>3. Marcus Dairy where the bikers hang out on sundays<BR><BR> You ahve also taken my recommendation of the Eqinox in Manchester Vt, the Village Country Inn is also lovely on the outskirts of Manchester.<BR> The White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport Maine lovely. Also Litchfield is the place to go for leaves and antiquing in connecticut.

Lois Nov 17th, 2002 09:28 AM

I would also recommend coastal Maine. I loved the Bar Harbor area, but don't have a place to recommend. I stayed at the Hartstone Inn in Camden, and was very happy with it. Camden is a charming town, very picturesque. If you look into the Hartstone Inn, I strongly recommend making reservations for a dinner there. It was one of the best meals I've ever had, and that includes many top rated restaurants in NYC. When my husband and I stayed there in early Oct., there were a few repeat guests, and all praised the experience. There is some interesting and helpful into on their website. My experience with B&amp;B's is limited, so I have only a couple experiences to draw on to compare, but I'd return to this one.