Most laid back large city in United States?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:35 AM
montieth

Most laid back large city in United States?

Want to visit a large city that has a lot of fun and exciting things to do but is also laid back. What would you recommend?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:45 AM
citysue

definately Honolulu or New Orleans

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Joe

San Francisco.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:39 AM
xxx

San Diego

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:44 AM
x

san diego

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:56 AM
J

Laid-back: San Diego, but it doesn't feel like a large city if you think of Chicago and NYC as large cities. It's spread out and suburban feeling in comparison.

For a laid-back city with more of an urban feel, I'd vote San Francisco, though it is small.

Funny that they're both in California? I wonder how Austin stacks up--I've never been there.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:06 AM
laura

I'd go to San Diego because it is large enough to have fun, but it is very laid back. Plus, the weather is awesome!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Adam

New Orleans, definitely. San Diego is a good option as well.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:09 AM
SA

San Francisco is small ?? Charleston, Key West, Taos.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:11 AM
x

Yes, San Francisco is tiny compared to many other cities...everything is all packed in nice and tight.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Mikie (female)

San Francisco, New Orleans, Honolulu

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Dave

I'd vote for San Diego as well. About as laid back as a large city can get.

Certain parts of San Francisco are laid back, but it earns it's nickname of Wall Street West. It's not huge in terms of geographical standards 49 sq. mi, but next to Manhattan it's the most densely populated city in the U.S. and it feels like it - not exactly an ingredient for being laid back if you ask me (and I'm a former resident).

Finding a large city that's laid back is somewhat paradoxical. The larger the city, the more urban the feel. However, if by laid back you mean liberal attitude, San Fran's your place.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Debra

Moderate size city...Austin, Texas
Large size city...Chicago

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Mark

Not in the USA, but extending that to North American....I would go with Vancouver B.C.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 06:55 AM
rrr

Phoenix/Scottsdale... lots to do. Beautiful weather in the winter. Nice people.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:25 AM
san franciscan

San Francisco is not laid back by any stretch of the imagination. BART and Muni delays, crazy Muni drivers, homeless on every street corner, sharp division between the halves and have-nots, well, I love my city but laid-back it is not.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:45 AM
annie

Hey don't forget the east coast.... party in Boston... eat but the sea.... head up north to chill and Lay back!!!!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 09:48 AM
chris

Kalispell,Mt. ?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Sami

My vote goes to San Diego and Phoenix. I find these both very relaxing with good people but LOTS to do so it's never boring. The locals seem very helpful to visitors as well. I suppose the nice weather keeps the locals in good moods!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
xxx

If we considered all of North America, I would have to say Montreal. In the US, I would say no question its New Orleans. Where else in the USA can you smoke pot and drink beer on the streets even with the cops around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information