Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Most Interesting route from Las Vegas to Santa Monica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 04:59 AM
Graeme

I will be visiting USA for the first time in early September.I would like to drive from Las Vegas to Santa Monica.Could I please have suggestions on the most interesting route? I only have one day for the journey.Thanks.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 09:51 AM
Ken

With one day to travel, Interstate 15 is probably the only reasonable option. A drive north through Death Valley would be interesting, but if you need to be "fresh" for the next day, it would be taxing.
Unfortunately, the drive on I-15 is just plain dull. Get it over quickly and save your time and energy for the coastal areas.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:10 PM
Gary

Graeme:

Yes, the I-15 is not all that exciting, but if you luck out and get a clear day, the view from the Cajon Pass south of Victorville is spectacular. And even if is not clear, the drive down the pass is interesting. There is a very long, winding railroad track, complete with struggling trains, adjacent to the freeway, and the change of vegetation as you go from the upper to the lower desert is interesting.

One recommendation: when you get to Southern California, switch from the I-10 to the I-210 to the 134--the route through Pasadena and Glendale. You'll get a great view of the Los Angeles basin, the downtown skyline, and the Griffith Park observatory.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 02:01 PM
Graeme

Thanks Gary, that sounds interesting but simple.

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 07:21 PM
Alisa

Graeme,

I just wanted to make sure you are only traveling one-way. Back and forth would be a killer.

I agree with the switch to the 134 but if you are exhausted, stay on the I-10 through downtown and get to the beach so you can cool off!

have fun!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 05:31 PM
kam

How about getting off the Ventura Fwy at Coldwater Canyon and taking that into Beverly Hills and into Sta. Monica? That's a nice route that I used to take visitors on.