Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Most convenient location in San Fransisco for a Marriott chain hotel [Marriott, Renaissance, Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, ]

Search

Most convenient location in San Fransisco for a Marriott chain hotel [Marriott, Renaissance, Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, ]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Lois

We're spending three days in San Francisco in the spring, on the way to Hawaii. I try to stay at Marriott hotels, since I have accumulated so many free trips this way [including the one I'm inquiring about]. Can anyone recommend a Marriott location convenient to cable cars and easy sightseeing. I am not interested in going over to Alcatraz, but am open to anything else. Also, due to Arthritis, I cannot do a lot of walking at times. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
John

The San Francisco Marriott on Market is your best bet. Convenient to Union Square and public transit.

The Renaissance Stanford Court is also quite nice. On the cable car lines atop Nob Hill. You'd have to use the cable cars or taxis to get up/down the steep hill(s), however.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 12:41 PM
kal

Hello,
I hear they just opened a new C'yard Marriott at 299 Second Street (2nd & Folsom)....May be a little bit out of the way (So of Market-SOMA) but new.

Marriott Fisherman's Wharf is nice. We've stayed there a few times.
Near the Hyde St cable car t'around and Ghiradelli Sq/Aquatic Park. Great GG Bridge/Alcatraz views from there.
Kal

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Lois

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty clueless about where it would be easiest to stay to connect to readily available transportation. I will not be renting a car. Plan to take a cab from the airport. I don't have a definite idea about what to see in San Fransisco, just know that everyone tells me it's a great city and we must get there!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Grant

I agree with John -- the San Francisco Marriott is a good bet. It's actually on Fourth a half block off of Market. The rooms are nothing special (standard Marriott) but it's a good location. Lots of shopping and dining in the area and about a block from the subway.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Lois

Thanks for the advice. Is the Marriott near the cable cars? I definitely want to use them. I must confess, I didn't even realize there were subways in San Frisco!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:48 AM
kam

There is a short subway in SF and old trolley (street cars) along Market, making the SF Marriott convenient for you. It is close to Moscone Center and the SFMOMA. However, the Marriot at Fisherman's Wharf is also a good location and is more convenient to the end of the Powell Street cable car. For a clearer understanding go to SFVISITORS.ORG I would not recommend the Stanford Court---difficult part of Nob Hill to walk.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Chris

Lois:
My family stayed at the Renaisance Parc 55 in April 2001, which is just off Union Square and a short walk (about100 yards) from the pick up spot for the Cable Cars. The rooms were nice and the view that we had was great. Nice staff and we would go back to this property the next time that we visit. We did not eat onsite as there are just too many restaurants to go to in SF.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Lois

thanks for the advice. I didn't know about the San Fransisco visitor site online. Will check it out.