Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Most Beautiful Time of Day For Monument Valley Guided Tour

Most Beautiful Time of Day For Monument Valley Guided Tour

Aug 20th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Most Beautiful Time of Day For Monument Valley Guided Tour

We are planning to take a guided tour of Monument Valley at 9 a.m. from Goulding's Lodge in mid-Sept. after arising early to see the sunrise from our room. Would the scenery be more spectacular if we took the tour at sunset the evening before? I would appreciate hearing the tips and experiences of others at Monument Valley. Thanks.
Aug 20th, 2003, 10:24 PM

Sunrise from balcony of Gouldings is superb.
For Sunset, the best location is on the visitor center, because as sun go down west the sunset,seen from the valley is not as fantastic than expected...From the visitor center, sunset is nice and you can admire the shadows of mittens and mitchell bute and mesa becoming longer and longer and also the colours change at every moment.
Have you take the full day tour(monument valley/lunch /mistery valley) or only the half day ??
If you have taken the halfday, try to get a short hiking tour on the aftrernoon : at the booth just before the visitor center, ask to get Alex or Tom Jones from Keyah Ozonhi tour : they
have a lot of suggestions in hiking and you will learn a lot about the desert life, the use of plants(yucca for sandals, mormon tea without infusion, plants for musquitos,...).They have a
web site(monumentvalley.com) with schedules and rates...
We were here(for the 4th. time) 2 weeks before-see report in "2 weeks in the four corners- and it's alwways the same magic spririt who inhabits you in this country...
Erik.
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:51 AM

i was in monument valley for the second time in april and i have to say that the sunset tour i took was just amazing. it's so beautiful it takes your breath away. i'd definitely try to take a sunset tour.
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:39 AM

Another vote for the sunset tour. Have a great time!

Andre

Search this Thread