Notices

most beautiful skiing near Salt Lake?

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most beautiful skiing near Salt Lake?

We're headed to Utah to ski in early March. We prefer beautiful mountains with breathtaking vistas that aren't overly crowded, and that have some easy (but long) runs for a cautious kid (and his mom). Seems like Solitude and Alta may offer this over Park City and Dee Mountain, but wondered what others might think?
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM

mrk,

Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons are the most spectacular in scenery certainly. The Park City resorts still have nice views though.

I think the most beautiful ski resort setting in UT is Sundance hands down! But - it's the lowest in altitude and therefore gets the least snow.

Park City and Deer VALLEY have the longest easy (green circle) runs.

If you are coming for Easter or spring break, they will all be very busy. Right now - the slopes are nearly empty due to the economic situation. Resorts are booked up pretty well for Feb and March.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM

The mountain scenery at Alta and Snowbird is indeed very nice, as is the very top of Solitude. (Haven't been to Sundance but have lots of confidence in Dayle's opinions.)

Are you looking specifically for green runs, or will blue ones be OK?
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Deer Valley has the easiest terrain. I think Snowbird is the most beautiful. You need to be a good intermediate skier to enjoy Snowbird.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Deer Valley is perfectly wonderful. We will be going there in March. Skiing only. Park City has snowboards and skiing.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM

I skied Alta once and there wasn't much groomed that day and my cautious wife didn't like it much. Snowbird was perhaps better but easier stuff is mostly cattracks. I though the views in Park City were great and Deer Valley limits the # of lift tickets sold in a given day so that might be the best overall suggestion. Just be aware it is expensive but the food is fantastic. PCMR has some long easy runs with high speed lifts but if anywhere is crowded, it will probably be there.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Deer Valley does limit their ticket sales, but the only days they ever "sell out" are during Christmas holidays and President's weekend.