Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Mosquitos in Vegas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/mosquitos-in-vegas-376868/)

amelie Jun 11th, 2008 03:57 AM

Mosquitos in Vegas?

Just curious if they exist here (we are going in a week). I get bad reactions to mosquito bites here in Ohio.

Thanks.

persimmondeb Jun 11th, 2008 04:06 AM

I would double check with a local, but I'd be really surprised if they were a problem, as it's so dry. They need standing water to breed in, and I would think that most of the time it evaporates before they get a chance to.

Dukey Jun 11th, 2008 05:03 AM

I have yet to see a mosquito in Las Vegas.

I have also yet to see someone who gets "bad reactions" not traveling with the proper precautions, either.

Stephie Jun 11th, 2008 05:35 AM

Been there three times and never seen/been bitten by one. It's true, it's too dry and hot. Relax.

bugswife1 Jun 11th, 2008 06:31 AM

Been there 7 or 8 times--Jan, Aug, Sept, all times of year. Have never seen one single mosquito. Not even near Lake Mead.

NewbE Jun 11th, 2008 06:43 AM

Nope. Nothing like Ohio. You'll be fine.

amelie Jun 11th, 2008 06:58 AM

I thought it would be too dry, thanks!

Debi Jun 11th, 2008 09:08 AM

The mosquitos went away a while ago when they lost all their money and were banned from Vegas..... :)

NewbE Jun 11th, 2008 03:21 PM

One thing I loved about living in the desert (AZ, not NV) was, no flying biting insects. Well, bees, I guess, and wasps, but we have those in FL, too, PLUS the blasted mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Grumble grumble.

sarge56 Jun 11th, 2008 04:45 PM

Yep, I agree. Been to Vegas all times of year and never seen any of the little buggers! WooHoo!!! :)

amelie Jun 12th, 2008 03:43 AM

ooh no bees, that's another plus.

bashfulLV Jun 12th, 2008 10:47 AM

Well, I hate to burst everyone's bubble - I've lived here in Sin City for over 13 years and I thought the same as you all - no mosquitos in Las Vegas. WRONG. They are here. You can buy citronella candles at Walmart for the patio to keep them at bay. We have LOTS of water throughout the valley with all the growth in the recent years and there are planty of breeding areas for them. Sorry, but yes, there are mosquitos here like everywhere else.

casey_reed84 Jun 12th, 2008 01:40 PM

yes there are mosquitos just like every other place on the planet.

amelie Jun 12th, 2008 02:44 PM

Thanks bashfulLV, then I will pack my OFF individually wrapped wipes that I bought today, just in case.

bkluvsNola Jun 12th, 2008 06:32 PM

There are mosquitoes in Vegas, but they are not native to the region, just like almost everybody there :)

SiteC_er Jun 17th, 2008 01:54 PM

No, but watch out for the prostitutes!

FainaAgain Jun 17th, 2008 03:21 PM

Author: bashfulLV
Date: 06/12/2008, 02:47 pm
Well, I hate to burst everyone's bubble - I've lived here in Sin City for over 13 years and I thought the same as you all - no mosquitos in Las Vegas. WRONG. They are here.

Where do you think the official Alaskan birds - mosquitoes - spend the winter? :-p

Bill_H Jun 17th, 2008 03:49 PM

Well, I wasn't going to say anything since we're in PHX, even when AZ was mentioned in this post ... <b>One thing I loved about living in the desert (AZ, not NV) was, no flying biting insects.</b> ... but when BashfulLV says <b>Well, I hate to burst everyone's bubble - I've lived here in Sin City for over 13 years and I thought the same as you all - no mosquitos in Las Vegas. WRONG</b> ... then I guess I will back him or her up ...

There are a few mosquitos in the desert areas and in Arizona there have been several cases of West Nile disease caused by mosquitos since 2003 ... you can read details here ... http://www.westnileaz.com/ ...

Having said that, I have yet to see one in Phoenix, but they are supposedly increasing because of so many untended &quot;green pools&quot; in homes abandoned during this latest housing debacle.

So they are out there and some carry potentially deadly diseases, but it's not common to see them in most tourist areas ...

Bill

amelie Jun 22nd, 2008 04:56 PM

Got home from Vegas yesterday, never saw one or any flying bug at all. Maybe it was too HOT. Yikes.