Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   More Sedona & Grand Canyon area questions... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/more-sedona-and-grand-canyon-area-questions-685805/)

pb_and_j Mar 7th, 2007 11:31 AM

More Sedona & Grand Canyon area questions...

So we have 4 nights flying in and out of Phoenix in late April. We'll be renting a car of course! We want to spend time in Sedona and see the GC but otherwise we are open. Love hiking, but we'll be switching off carrying a baby on our backs so terrain can't be too difficult.

- hike recommendations?
- is it really better to spend a night at GC (there is availability) rather than as a day trip? Why?
- worthwhile to spend any of that time in Phoenix? Flagstaff? Other?
- what other little stops can we do along or near to the drives between PHX, GC and Sedona?
- Any Sedona hotels with suites? Or all-suite hotels?

I like to plan too much to do and pare it down as we go rather than be bored. We like to stay busy!
Thank you!

John_T_Cuttino Mar 7th, 2007 12:18 PM

4 nites is not much.
Try this: Drive up to Sedona stopping at Montezumas Castle on the way in. Go into Sedona and spend 3 nites. Tour the area, do a Pink Jeeps tour. Lots of hikes. Eat at Cowboy Club (get reservations for Silver Saddle room before you go). Eat at Pizza Picazzos. Shop at Tlaquepaque.
On 4th day drive up 89A thur Oak Creek Canyon and thru Flagstaff to GC via GC village, stop at Imax show on way in. Get to GC for sunset. Also do sunrise. Drive out to the East stopping at lookouts on the way. Also stop at Cameron Trading Post. Then head South on Interstate 17 to Phoenix.

hulajake Mar 7th, 2007 12:21 PM

Montezuma's Castle is on the way to Sedona from Phoenix it is cliffside indian dwellings along the creek. If you don't want to stay right in Sedona we spent two nights at Junipine on Oak Creek. Get a creekside with hottub great area for hiking or sitting on the deck listening to the creek.

sistahlou Mar 7th, 2007 12:34 PM

Hey pb_and_j

It would be surely appreciated if you put closure to your earlier thread as you have made a decision. Helps those of us that are racking our brains trying to come up with ideas for you.

Sedona sounds great. I'd do 1 night at GC to enjoy sunset and sunrise. Happy planning.

sistahlou Mar 7th, 2007 12:36 PM

Woops, you beat me to the punch. Thanks so much!!! Glad you are moving forward with your plans!

elnap29 Mar 7th, 2007 06:11 PM

Montezuma's Castle is interesting, but we like Montezuma's Well better. It is closer to the Sedona turnoff.

pb_and_j Mar 9th, 2007 06:42 AM

Update - booked Junipine for the 4 nights. Looks like it will work out nicely with a baby rather than a typical hotel room.
Decided not to spend a night at GC - skip the repacking and have more flexibility in our schedule. Plus we will definitely be back someday for the sunrise/sunset. :)

marlong Mar 10th, 2007 03:56 AM

How far is Sedona and Grand Canyon from Phoenix by car?

OO Mar 10th, 2007 04:26 AM

2 hours to Sedona, two more to the GC.

BlackandGold Mar 10th, 2007 06:27 AM

We did 2 nice hikes in Sedona that you could do with a baby. The West Fork Trail of Oak Creek Canyon is pretty level and shady. Only issue is crossing the creek a few times but it is a beautiful hike. We also did the Little Horse Trail which is more typical red rock. Also very beautiful, but a little more difficult and a lot less shade. We did see a couple w/ a baby on their back but I don't know how far they went. It gets steeper and less shade towards the end.

I'd skip the Pink Jeep with a baby as I would think even the easiest ride would be too bouncy. Maybe the Verde Canyon Railroad if you want to see a lot of scenery in a relaxing way.

pb_and_j Mar 10th, 2007 07:30 PM

Yep, the Pink Jeep is out - not a good idea and not allowed anyway.

I'll look into the Verde RR. Thanks!

sedonarealtor Mar 11th, 2007 07:13 AM

Head to the Red Rock State Park where you can swim in Oak Creek, hike and pack a picnic. A 286 acre wilderness and preserve with family-friendly trails. The views are incredible! Hours in April are 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and the fee is $3 - $6. Off lower Red Rock Loop Road.