More NYC questions in regards to my upcoming trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More NYC questions in regards to my upcoming trip

Hello
my wife and sons and I leave for our trip to NYCin less than 2 weeks we are really looking forward to it and as usual the advice I have gotten on this board has been invaluable! I have a few more questions I was hoping someone couls answer.
Our hotel is near Macys on saturday i will be going to see Talk Radio and Sunday we are all going to see Tarzan. I was wondering if it would be ok to walk back from the theaters to the hotel at night or should I plan on taking a taxi?
The second question I have is many recommended we ake the statan island ferry for a view of the statue of liberty. I was just wondering if after we do that, how far is southstreet seaport and battery park from where the ferry leaves? Is it walking distance?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to walk to Macy's from the two theatres -- each should take you 15 minutes or so. Presumably, go right down Broadway.

I've walked from the Staten Island Ferry to South Street Seaport several times (but not in cold weather).

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM

You can definitely walk safely from the theater to your hotel. It's about a half mile.
Both South Street Seaport and Battery Park and definitely within walking distance of the Staten Island Ferry.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Walking back to the hotel from either of those theatres is fine. It is not far by NY standards.... and sometimes by the time you get a taxi after theatre lets out you would have been able to walk to your destination and back!

The walk from the ferry to the Seaport is also doable.

Have a great time in NY.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Yes you should not have a problem with walking down to your hotel after the Theatre. I that walk this past weekend, from 34th St to 42nd St on Broadway about midnight and there were lots of people about.

The Staten Island Ferry, take the #1 train at 42nd St and be in the first few cars and get off at the Ferry stop. This is one of the oldest subway stops in the city, so it is shorter than the 8 car subway so that's why you have to be in the first few cars, or the doors won't open and you will be heading back uptown.

We are also having weekend changes in the subway lines, because of work being done on the tracks so you may need to be a bit flexible on where you get off.

Battery Park is right next to the Ferry terminal so you can certainly walk around and see the old fort and the World Trade Center memorial.

If you walk up Broadway from the Ferry there are a few sites to see Trinity Church, Wall ST, World Trade Center and on Fulton St turn right and walk down to the Seaport. This is probably no more than a 45 minute walk including the siteseeing. Also you may want to stop at some of the shops along Fulton St, including Strand Books.

HOpe this helps, and have a GREAT time while you are here.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! When I travel alone i don't hesitate to walk alone at night but with the kids i like to be extra careful. Thanks for the ideas for the walk near the ferry it sounds great!