Search

New Oleans Hotels ?

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 1999, 05:05 AM
bruno (french)

New Oleans Hotels ?

Hi, Some French friends are coming to visit us in August and they want to spend one week in New Orleans. Do they need to rent a car or is it ok to spend one week in NO without a car. We are looking for a non expensive hotel for them (<$80/night). Do you know the "Longpre House" on Prytania Street or the "Saint Charles" Guest House on Prytania also.
Thank's for your help.

Bruno - www.pimico.fr

Old May 18th, 1999, 06:38 AM
erin

I just returned from the jazz fest in NOLA andfound there was no reason to rent a car. The city is full of safe & efficient public transportation. In fact I think I took every kind: trolly, cab, horse & buggy, bus, cab, and shuttle!

Good luck enjoy & bon appetit...the food is abundant & amazing there!

Old May 18th, 1999, 05:51 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Bruno: No, one definitely does NOT need a car to see New Orleans. Indeed, with trying to park it and learn one's way around traffic circles and one-way streets, a car would be a bother. The inexpensive hotel, however, is another matter. The Josephine at 1450 Josephine Street (corner of Prytania) might suit (though I've never been there--it is listed in ACCESS NEW ORLEANS, however).
You might want to ask your bookstore to order a copy for you--published by Harper (my copy cost $18.50), it has a host of useful information. Bonne chance! Joan

Old May 19th, 1999, 01:08 AM
JoAnn

These websites are full of info on hotels and prices
www.nola.com
www.nawlins.com
We were there last fall and our car sat all week and we walked, or took the St. Charles street car (a must & only $1) from the French Quarter thru the Garden District to see the old homes. Go to Cafe du Monde for cafe & beignets, walk around Jackson Square, eat at the Praline Connection for soul food, the Gumbo shop for good gumbo, Ajax Oyster House, Mike Anderson's for really good food. Have fun.

Old May 20th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Tom

While they certainly won't need a car during their stay in New Orleans, I recommend that you look for a guest house or B&B in the French Quarter. Most of the main attractions are there, and the street car swings by near the Canal Street border of the Quarter. If they stay on Prytania, they will be within walking distance of few attractions (other than the Garden District) and they will need to take the streetcar several times a day.

Try the Ursiline Guest House among other reasonable priced B&Bs in the French Quarter. Also, there are several new developments in the business district only one block from the Quarter (Omni Royal Crescent, Queen and Crescent, Comfort Suites on Barrone ,the Hampton Inn on Carondolet, and Courtyard by Marriot on St. Charles). All seem reasonably priced, well located to the Quarter and the street car, and comfortable. Their rates should be less expensive because August is the off-season do to the heat.

Old May 20th, 1999, 10:15 AM
bruno (French)

Thank you for the messages. I called the following 2 hotels in New Orleans. But what do you think I can expect for the following price ? It looks very cheap.

- Longpre House - 1726 Prytania Street for $ 40 (for a doublebed room and a
private bathroom)

- Saint Charles Guest-House - 1748 Prytania Street for $ 55 (for a doublebed room and a private bathroom). Our tourism guide mentions that this hotel has a swimming pool !!!