Reload this Page >

Monument Valley/Canyon de Chelly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 04:28 PM
joe

I was thinking about visiting this area on my trip to the Grand Canyon. Looking at the AAA tourbook, I didn't see any towns near here when visiting. Are there accommodations in the area? Any suggestions?

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 04:41 PM
rqf

For de Chelly town is Chinle. Best Western Canyon de Chelly Inn and Holiday Inn Canyon de Chelly. In the park - Thunderbird LOdge.
Monument Valley - Gouldings Trading POst and Lodge (2 or 3 miles from Valley). Kayenta is about 20 miles south - Holiday Inn Monument Valley and Wetherill Inn Motel.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Lisa

We stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge while visiting Canyon de Chelly. It is clean and very close to the canyon. Make sure you have reservations since outside of Chinle there is nothing for a hundred miles. We had the great idea of staying in an authentic hogan while in this area, and had it all set up through the internet and phone calls. When we arrived at the appointed place, (and believe me just to get there was a story too long to tell here), we were told that the man to whom we had paid our money, had "gone over the mountain" and wasn't due back until the next day. This old woman told us that our name didn't appear on the reservation list, but that she could have her nephew throw a mattress into the back of a truck and take us to another hogan they had about 8 miles away. Well, we felt as though we were already in the middle of nowhere and there was no way we were going further to sleep on a dirty mattress on a dirt floor. We got the last room at the Thunderbird Lodge and we were very grateful for it. We never did get our $130 back.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 12:44 PM
plummie

Thunderbird Lodge is good place to stay. Be sure and take the horse trip into the canyon.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Karen

Definitely stay at Thunderbird Lodge at Canyon de Chelly, historic motel, although none of them are anything like five star in these areas, it is closest and the tour picks you up right there. Stay at no other place than Goulding's for Monument Valley and tour will pick you up right there ...make tour reservations when you make room reservations. Do not stay in Kayenta...terrible place.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 04:40 PM
joe

What kind of tours are offered? Are there different kinds or just a standard sightseeing tours?

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Was-There-Late-April

Canyon de Chelly (pronounced as de Shay). As said, the closest town in Chinle, p.171, AAA book. There is nothing else for miles around as previously said. However, we took our chances without reservations as it was so early in the season; all 3 places had vacancies, luckily.
The Best Western is out by the main state highway (can't remember the number) and from the outside appeared to be charmless (Motel 6 architecture) and without character, but it advertises a restaurant and an indoor pool.
Drove past the Holiday Inn to see that 'historic' motel, called Thunderbird Lodge. On the way, on the right, is the Visitor's Center. At the Lodge, saw no sign for restaurant -- just one that said 'cafeteria.' It looks like it was built in the 60's, southwest architecture, painted dark red and is down in a little valley. Nearby, too nearby for me, was a day park and lots of people were setting up for day partying. In the Lodge's parking lot were 2 large tour buses. Also nearby is the place where the horses are boarded for renting horses...they're beautiful creatures but their accompanying smell and horseflies did nothing for me.
Back to the Holiday Inn where we stayed. It's newer, has nice rooms (we were in the back building as I asked for a quiet room); the pool had not been opened for the season yet; it's nice restaurant is open for all 3 meals (good food); and it has a nice gift shop. If you like a cocktain before dinner, best bring your own; no liquor available at the Holiday Inn and would not be surprised if that's the case elsewhere.
At the Holiday Inn we reserved a private Navajo guide in his 4WD vehicle for the next morning at a cost of $125 for the 3 hour tour (9 am to 12 noon). It wasn't worth it. There were group tours that went everywhere we did and that cost is $40 per person.
Visitors can drive their own car around the outside of the Park but cannot enter the Park with a guide. In order to see the Anasazi ruins fairly close, you need to take a tour.
When we left Chinle immediately from returning at Noon, we looked in Chinle for a restaurant for lunch and could find nothing other than a couple of burger joints, both of which had HUGE lines. Lesson learned = we should have had lunch at the restaurants at either Holiday Inn or the Best Western.
As for tours, here's a website:

http://canyondechellytours.com/

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Karen

An Indian guide will drive you into both areas, impossible to see well with your own car, very rough areas...both are so unbelievably gorgeous and spectacular. I believe the tours are about three hours and cost something along the line of $30 and well worth it.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:54 AM
RB

Here is a website with some good information on Canyon de Chelly. We loved our visit in May 1999; our accommodations/food at Thunderbird Lodge was acceptable, and we appreciated the close proximity to the park. We did not do a guided tour due to time constraints; would like to visit again for a longer, more extended stay. Enjoy!
http://www.arizonahandbook.com/NEAZ.htm#CANYON DE CHELLY NATIONAL MONUMENT

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:57 PM
judith

i visited canyon de chelly last year, stayed at thunderbird lodge. nice, clean motel next to a pleasant cafeteria and park area. i took the all-day tour into the canyon which was spectacular. lunch was included. when you make reservations for the lodge, they will also reserve a tour for you. wonderful visit.

stayed at best western in kayenta for visit to monument valley, 1/2 hour away. less expensive than gouldings, ok but not as nice. they or gouldings will also sign you up for a tour when you call for a reservation. i took the all day tour and it was out of this world. i swear i saw john wayne in the distance.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:03 PM
karen

We visited Monument Valley in June and had an awesome time. We stayed at Gouldings and it was fine - you're paying to be so close! We took a tour with Harold Simpson (http://www.trailhandlertours.com/) and absolutely loved it. I think it was more personal and informative than other tours because there was a driver and then Harold sat back with us to narrate along the entire way. Worth every penny!