Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   MONTREAL-CHICAGO-MILWAUKEE-MONTREAL (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/montreal-chicago-milwaukee-montreal-25276/)

Spela May 3rd, 1998 01:02 PM

MONTREAL-CHICAGO-MILWAUKEE-MONTREAL

Hallo!
My friend and I intend to travel on route Montreal-Detroit-Chicago-Milwaukee and than back on the other side if the Michigan lake. So we would go around the lake by car, because our final destination is Montreal again.
We are two journalists from Slovenia (Europe) and we could use ANY information about the route: where to go, what to see, whare to stay, where to eat.... Everything.
We plan to go there May 26-th and we have 14 days to injoy this part of Canada and America.
We would apperciate any help at all.
Thank you for reading our message.

Spela

raeona May 3rd, 1998 03:40 PM

There is A LOT to see on that journey you are planning! Chicago is a lovely city to visit (see some of the other posts in the Fodors topics...they will tell you a lot). In addition, in Wisconsin, north of Milwaukee, you will want to stop by Door County, that peninsula that juts into Lake Michigan, north of Green Bay. It's one of the midwest's most popular resort areas, with high bluffs overlooking the watr, and lovely rural vistas of farm fields and orchards. Across the lake, on the Michigan side, is Sleeping Bear Dunes, also worth seeing. You might want to consider the ferry that runs between Manitowoc Wisconsin and Ludington Michigan. It's quite a trip. Milwaukee is an attractive city -- neat zoo and botanical gardens (Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo is also great). If you have specific questions or would like more information, feel free to e-m me.

Paul Rabe May 3rd, 1998 06:47 PM

Suggestions for places to stop: Ottawa (the Parliment Building is quite a view); Toronto (if the day is clear, the view from the Tower will be spectacular); Detroit -- Metropolitan Museum of Art; Motown Museum (if you are interested in pop music of the 1960's); Chicago -- Art Museum; Natural History Museum; Miracle Mile; Sears Tower (again, on a clear day). Then go up the Wisconsin shore of Lake Michigan, into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, over to Sault Saint Marie. Visit Fort Michimilinack and Mackinac Island while in the area. Then speed back to Montreal. You will NOT be able to do justice to ANY of these cities with only two weeks to see all of them, but you WILL enjoy them all! Welcome to our land, and I hope many more of your country will follow!

John May 5th, 1998 06:30 PM

In Chicago stop at Navy Pier the ferris wheel gives you a spectacular view of the skyline and lakefront!

jessamyn May 18th, 1998 03:29 PM

I am traveling sort of the opposite way that you will be--from Detroit to Montreal. However, I am a bit stuck for directions--can you give me any suggestions? As for travel in Michigan, I suggest a fun tour of the Kellogg's cereal factory in Battle Creek (heading west from Detroit on I-94), and the gorgeous beaches and pier at South Haven or St. Joseph. Good luck!