Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Monticello (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/monticello-1666294/)

terrytravels Apr 24th, 2019 11:39 AM

Monticello

I'm looking for opinions re: buying Behind the Scenes Passes for 3 (ages 74,77 and 82 but vital! 😉 The steps would be manageable) which is $65 pp as opposed to buying the Day Pass at $23. and or the Hemmings Family Pass @ 28.? I'd love to hear input from others' experiences.

Also, any opinions on visiting Montpelier?

We've not been to either.

Thank you so much!

sludick Apr 24th, 2019 11:49 AM

Yes to both! We were fortunate to have visited Montpelier each year that it was being restored, and so saw so much of the inner walls that are now covered up. Be sure to allow plenty of time to enjoy both places, a good half day at each.

obxgirl Apr 24th, 2019 12:09 PM

Yes to both, especially the behind the scenes tickets at Monticello. Well worth the additional $ for a longer tour (including upstairs) with a smaller group.

Vttraveler Apr 24th, 2019 12:42 PM

Another vote for visiting Montpelier, too.
I haven't been to Monticello in years so don't know about all the tour options there.

My husband and I just visited Poplar Forrest which was Jefferson's rural retreat from Monticello. It's near Bedford, VA about an hour and a half SW of Monticello and also very interesting. They are doing much of the renovation work there now.

RoamsAround Apr 24th, 2019 02:25 PM

Spend the money for both - you won’t regret it.

terrytravels Apr 24th, 2019 03:43 PM

Thank you, all, so very much!

Momof3boys Apr 25th, 2019 08:05 AM

I was at Monticello in the fall w/ my book club group which includes some older women. We bought the $23 passes which included not only the tour of the house, but a free garden tour, a separate Sally Hemmings/slavery talk, a movie, and the new museum and gift shop. Along w/ the self-guided part of Monticello, you can fill almost an entire day. Granted, the more expensive ticket gives you the upstairs portion of Monticello. This was my 7th visit enjoying each one, and I've been on the upstairs tour w/ a private group from UVA. However, if time is limited...along w/ all the walking...you get a huge bang for the price of $23!

I agree w/ also seeing Montpelier which I have visited but only once and not in years. Maybe see when the last tour is there and spend the majority of time at Monticello including lunch and then finish your day at Monroe's home. If it is still open, Carter's Orchard is right before you head to Monticello and it has a beautiful view of Charlottesville and wonderful fruit.

sludick Apr 25th, 2019 09:58 AM

Yes, I agree you could take most of the day - at each place, actually. I did really enjoy the upstairs tour at Monticello, but those are narrow stairs so be advised. If the weather is fine, both Montpelier and Monticello have incredible grounds.

terrytravels Apr 26th, 2019 04:17 PM

Thank you!

jmoyogi May 6th, 2019 09:14 AM

Yes, do both if possible.